DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

95 Intrepid Cluster Swap (Km/H to Mph)

1K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  be_man36 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm having a bit of a problem. I bought a car in the states but it was previously in Canada and the speed is in Km/ H. If I bought a new Mph instrument cluster from Ebay and replaced it, would it work? would there be any problems?

Thanks everyone :smileyvault-newhere

#2 ·
wow really? 40 views and no one can help?!! shame on U guys... to answer your question yes you can buy a new (used) one from eBay, but maybe a local scrap yard would have for cheaper and or try craigslist or kijiji

#8 ·
Passenger side behind dash mounted near front of door. The lower dash will need to be partially dropped to get it out and you will need a torx. T-10 or T-15 I believe. While you are there grab a Prem BCM so you can get OTIS if you dont already but make sure to disable VTSS first.

#9 ·
news.....

Alright, so I got news, not sure if good or bad.... So this morning I turned on my car with the new Mph cluster, and it started working! It very accurately displayed the speed and Rpm of the car with no problems. Gas and temp gauge also worked well. Half way through my commute however, it stopped working.... So, do i still need a BCM? or did I just get a bad cluster? Really confused....:gmm:

btw, thanks for the info, just a question. If I have the alarm system (which is what looks like a keyless entry remote to me) does that mean I still have to disable vtss?

#10 ·
Alright, so I got news, not sure if good or bad.... So this morning I turned on my car with the new Mph cluster, and it started working! It very accurately displayed the speed and Rpm of the car with no problems. Gas and temp gauge also worked well. Half way through my commute however, it stopped working.... So, do i still need a BCM? or did I just get a bad cluster? Really confused....:gmm:

btw, thanks for the info, just a question. If I have the alarm system (which is what looks like a keyless entry remote to me) does that mean I still have to disable vtss?
Remote does not mean VTSS, but if you get a Prem VTSS to prevent issues with no start you would have too.

Also if it worked than yeah you dont need a BCM. its just a faulty cluster or bad connection.

#11 ·
thanks for the info, I'll keep that in mind if I ever need to change the VTSS.

as far as the cluster goes, I'll have to ask for a refund.... I seriously just bought it. Anyways, I think as far as the main question goes, these BCMs work with both clusters that are Mph or Km/h. The gauge markings are not in the same position for the clusters, so the fact that everything was displayed accurately tells me the BCMs were all the same for all the intrepids?

thanks all for the help.

#12 ·
the marks are where the speeds are the same.
62mph is where 100kmh is marked.
so, the markings are the same for equivalent speeds.
so, 60 in kmh will not be placed in the same spot as 60 mph.

so, yes, bcm's are all the same.
only difference is odometer in miles or kilometers.

#13 ·
I understand, however I believe the BCM is actually "programmed" for 2 settings. Mph and Km/H . Reason I say that is because when the gauge hits 55 Mph, it is not in the same position as the conversion of 89 Km/H to 55 Mph on the old canadian cluster. Either way its cool that it works, which is awesome!

btw, here's a pic of my intrepid:

Attachments

#16 ·
I'm not a fan of racing stripes, but if that is your thing then why not? but definitely get some nice chrome rims! or even the rims from a charger looks great on these old intrepids!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.