DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Eagle needs some upgrades, and I need help.

11K views 60 replies 7 participants last post by  cdmccul 
#1 ·
Ive been wanting to make a few improvements here and there on my Eagle. Ive had it for a little more than a year, and all ive gotten to was replacing the oem aluminum rims with 16" steelies. Now to start, I wanted to do the simplest thing, and thats installing a cold air intake. The thing is, I have no idea where to start. Ive read up on Spectre and I like what they are about so I've made my brand decision, but where to go from here.

As a side bundle of questions, in the future, is it possible to do an AWD conversion and/or replacing the 4-speed auto with a 5-speed manual transmission? Or are these just ridiculous.

I appreciate the replies in advance!
Help me out here fellas!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Another thing.

What about exhaust systems? Any Bolt-on options?

And I've read up on an ECU flash for the greater flow of air from a CAI to actually count. Something to do with the fuel injector putting through more fuel to accommodate the increase in air flow.

#3 ·
The first thing, how is maintenance? Oil, Plugs, Trans Service, any suspension parts worn out?

CAI is not that big of a gain. Improving the airflow from the filter to the throttle bodies would net the same. To have a true CAI would require alot of effort such as moving the charcoal canister and ecu out of the way so the filter can drop down into the fender more. Personally I suggest opening the opposite side of the airbox open (facing towards fender) adding a K&N filter and replacing the accordion style tube with decent piping from the box to the throttle bodies.

There is no reprogramming for our cars. And with it being electronically controlled swapping injectors will only improve in a small window of things. AKA WOT (wide open throttle) where the duty cycle is near 100% on injector flow rate. However you can get more air into the engine by boring out the intake and swapping those twin 38mm for 52mm 3.3 throttle bodies. But that does requires alot of work.

Exhaust is all a manner of personal choice. These engine rather you have the 3.3 or 3.5 are not big enough for a nice tone like a v8, however At low rpms and higher rpms mine sounds freaking awesome. But alot of annoying rasp in the 2.5k-3.8k range. I have the 3.3 however and OHV engines always sound different than OHC engines.

Here is decent vid to hear my exhaust..
http://youtu.be/1s1ey8HriUk

One of the biggest things you can do is get a Aux. Trans cooler. This helps out on so many levels for keeping your car happy always a huge upgrade. Why I have this huge thing on mine..

The biggest things you can do are Factory Upgrades, such as OTIS (Overhead Travel Info System), leather seats, and the biggest one AutoStick. A/s will bring whole new level of enjoyment to your car far as drivability. Also, there is a 300M PHP brake upgrade which is considerable amount of work and parts but worth it if you are a spirited driver.

There is a bunch of ways to go far as upgrades and personalizing your ride. All just depends on which way you want to go. Handling? Power? Comfort?

#4 ·
Well I've been keeping up on maintenance as best I can. Since I got the car I've kept up regular oil changes, using 10w-30 synthetic. Every 5 thousand miles. Keep the fluids topped off, and plugs are good. Aside from me needing new head gaskets im pretty much set. As for suspension wear, I have no idea how to check.

My plan was exactly as you said, removing the things underneath the air filter box now and attaching them elsewhere. That would leave a nice gap for the cone head of the CAI to go pretty damn low. However I'm not sure what parts I need. In fact I was going to use APC piping is make myself instead of the name brand stuff. Saving some money where I can.

And what is this auxilliary trans cooler? I don't think ive ever heard of it.

As for the big picture, I'm looking for a nice sound to my 3.5 and POWER.

#5 ·
AWD and manual transmission is not very possible without you wanting to do have a ton of self frabication... Sadly.

As for my opinion on some things:
Some Alloys or maybe some nice hubcap covers haha.
Exhaust always adds a little pep in your step and makes you feel good with the rumble.
Other then that I don't specifically know enough about 1st gens to say much more.

#7 ·
I kind of like the stock Vision rims, what did you do with them?

I would spend money on poly bushings, wheels and tires before doing the exhaust, you need to take in more air before you NEED a larger exhaust so there is not much to be gained there. You could probably just replace your current muffler with something different to get the nice tone. I agree with Eagleesi that you should go through the car as far as maintenance goes. Look at a site like summit racing for a trans cooler, increasing the size of the trans cooler keeps the trans fluid cooler and keeps the trans happy. The transmissions worst enemy is heat.

#8 ·
well then it looks like I'll be starting with general upgrades. I've already decided on a spectre CAI and will be ordering that soon enough. And the transmission cooler will come soon after.

As for the stock alloy rims, I've got them stocked away, probably putting them up for sale. I always preferred steelies and want to get center caps for them, though I don't even know where to begin looking for those.

#10 ·
Center caps generally have to be found on second gen police units - but they take special lug nuts - make sure you get the lug nuts with the caps... They are like 8 bucks a piece, and only available at dealerships.

There are a few sets floating around here from time to time.

#20 ·
Yes it is but for different reasons, the underside is SUPER clean and rust free. I took these pictures at a good angle. The paint on the hood is pealing clear coat badly and the roof is nearly down to the primer. I'll take some pictures when my daughter gives me the car back. I would really like to paint the car soon.

#12 ·
I'm 99% sure it has to be a Second Gen Intrepid Interceptor (or what ever they called them). Looking on eBay, Kijijijijijijijijiji (like bananananana?), or CL is your best bet, or your local salvage yard. I know I was with a member (GORM) in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and we scored a full set with lug nuts - I think he gave like $50 for the set.

The steel wheel you are using I think uses a different center design than the Ford units, and keeps them from working. You might explore using factory Ford wheels though. Also, talk to user ShadowVox6 here on the board - he had some other sort of centers on his wheels I think...

#13 ·
I believe shadowvox(Tom Romans) used steelies on his Special and used some sort of GM center caps on them. Something like from a Grand Am or Grand Prix. Might want to do a search for him and his posts.

I believe the 2nd gen PoPo lug nuts might be the same as what you find on the 2nd gen Intrepid SE. The type that hold wheel covers on. They both have the shoulder on the lug nut that holds the wheel cover or Police center cap on. Like Cean said they're dealer item only. If you can find some from an SE in the wrecking yard that would be the way to go. I think the Police center caps run around $30 each if you have to buy them new. Might be more.

#14 ·
Sadly, I've already looked through eBay, CL, and extensively through simple google search. I havent come up with a single seller of those center caps. I've got a feeling that dream is crushed. My local salvage yard doesnt have much of a chance of having them either.

I really appreciate the help though.

#17 ·
The five spoke steelies are the actual police wheels for the 2nd Gen Intrepids... but they happen to be the same as the full size spare wheels that the 1st gen Intrepids used - I've got one in the trunk of my '94. The standard steel wheel for 2nd gen are the 'modular' style steel wheels.

#21 ·
I know for a fact my taste is different than most. My perfect look is a flat/matte color paint and standard oem steelies. I dont know what it is about it, but I just love it. I wish I could shell out for a good paint job, but being in college takes away from how much income I really have.

#22 ·
You're not alone - there are a few other flat paint/black steelies on the board (or have been from time to time). What's important to _me_ about it is that you first take care of it mechanically, then you make it what YOU want, but that you do it with care, safely.

Not that what is important to me means a hoot, anyway! HA! :)

#24 ·
Gotta keep some mods going all the time though - that's part of what makes the car fun and gives you more incentive to fix some of the other stuff... minor mods, like the wheel change, finding center caps, maybe new headlight bulbs, etc etc...

Keep it up, we need more enthusiastic 1st Gen owners - as your user name states, the cars are a dying breed.

#25 ·
Dying breed for sure. I keep looking and have a real hard time finding nice cheep gen 1s like I used to.

Totally agree on the do it your way as well. I like stock wheels, thats me and if someone else doesn't that's fine, they can do their car their way and I'm ok with that too. Same with all my cars, my GTX is not like most purists approve of but **** em, its my car

#28 ·
No pictures yet, but I'll go get some this weekend. It is white, body is in 98% good condition. It needs a motor swap, he's got the engine for me too. Also have to install an exhaust (not sure what I'll do with that one yet), and probably fix the windshield. The overflow bottle blew up like a balloon and blew out, so I'll swap that with a parts car. He wants $700 for the car with junk motor, and motor on a pallet to install.

#29 ·
Sounds like good deal to me. I'd budget another $1000 to go through everything maybe tires and you will have a really nice ride!

#30 ·
Well, I decided I could not wait for spectre to send me the filter, and to my incredible luck, my local autozone had the exact one i needed for the same online price. Tomorrow I'll stop by and get some APC piping, joints, paint, and whatever else i need, provided the weather is good.

I know you guys mentioned a new muffler for a better sound. Is that something I can do myself? I ask because I don't know how to weld if that is a necessity, and if it's a bolt on, where do you shop for aftermarket parts like that? I mean besides ebay. And are there specific reliable companies? Or does it nor matter.

#31 ·
Depends on what you want to do for a muffler - Your local Autozone is probably your best shot if you are going to go the clamp on route, but if you want a shop to install it, find a shop you trust that does only exhaust work (or mostly exhaust work, like Midas or Minekie (sp) ).

As for the intake - the only plastic you should use is ABS (black) and that can be found at most home centers (Lowes, Home Depot, Menards). Don't use PVC, it can create some interesting chemical reactions when hot. Aluminum tape would be a good wrap for it to reflect heat if you want to dress it up a bit.

You might experiment with making a dual CAI - after all, it is a dual intake... And smaller diameter ABS is more readily available.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.