DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

The end of an era

1K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  jedgxe 
#1 ·
Alright guys this is kinda hard to come to terms with

On my way home this morning from getting breakfast before exams, Treppie finally kicked the bucket.

I was driving along, I heard this loud grinding sound for about 3 seconds and the engine just turned off right there. I knew what was happening so I wasnt overly worried. I go to pop the hood and sure enough, there is about a square 3"x3" square missing from the valve cover and the timing chain is loose as can be. I was able to call my dad and have him come pick me up so I wont be late for exams so that part is fine.

I would like to thank you for all of your help over the years. The meets have been a blast to go to and everything. I am sure I will stick around and help members.

As far as a replacement car, I am looking for a 1G right now because I dont have much money and seeing all the mods done to them is pretty enticing. Until I find one, I am back to driving my mom's Avenger :banghead:

#3 ·
It was my fault for not changing the t-chain. I know that lol. She doesnt owe me anything. 162,000 miles is very respectable to me, especially on an engine that some people have destroyed in about half that many.

#5 ·
You could always do a 3.5 swap, you seem to have the know how and enough help there to do it

#11 ·
Its the old one.

As far as swapping the engine, IMO the body just isnt worth it. If it would have died before 100k or so, I probably would, but the paint is peeling and there are rust spots forming and on the front half of the car, there are more stone chips than actual paint.

#8 ·
Are you going to unhook the plow from that white trep and come up in August?

#13 ·
Amazing that someone actually got paid big bucks for designing that POS engine

#17 ·
he was probably some clown in Germany that wanted to sabotage Chrysler's reputation. It's not just the timing chain set up that was designed poorly. The tensioners for both the A/C belt and the serp belt are in a piss poor position relative to the crank pully.

#14 ·
Noooooo!! Sorry to hear Kyle. 162K on the original chain is pretty decent, many dont get 100K out of it. R.I.P For your trep. Really hope you stick around, and come to some more meets!!

#16 ·
Technically they last the life of the engine. In my case, once they fail, that is the life of the engine lol. On 3.3's the chain is 8" long and only spins the cams with no tensioners. On 2.7's its about 3 feet long at least and it spins 2 camshafts and the water pump and is controlled by 4 tensioners.

More pics:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.