DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

2000 Intrepid R/T

2K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  dabirdzR/T 
#1 ·
I bought it Due to Nascar used to race them and i have seen the wrecked at the scrap yards with no interior intrusion..a buddy of mine used to have one and i like the way it handled. i also love the interior room...i learn as i go..
I always buy American! Too many friends i know have foreign and their upkeep is expensive

#7 ·
I will eventually get to the timing chain..

Canada EH!..lol

to my knowledge i was told to change the chain when the tensioners begin to rattle..I use full synthetic in it, as did the prior owner,changed it every 5k, car is super quiet when warmed up.
Car now has 144,568 on it..the prior owner had all service receipts to it and i did not go through them all as it has been awhile now.. I do not have the habit of doing burnouts or a lead foot,lol...but she moves when you need her to..
and if not paying attention you could go and easy 100mph with only 1/2 the gas pedal being pressed. the motor does not strain at all ..It kinds of pulls forward maybe due to it being front wheel drive..also it seems to lower, suspension wise, as you go faster.
with the tires being wider and having new poly bushings turns are not an issue, it can pull G's similar to a roller coaster..Kinda cool, wife hates it when i do that..lol, but the kids say to do it again!..lol

#8 ·
Perhaps we need a mini-meet to break the ice. I go to the area on a semi-regular basis.

#12 ·
sorry about the confusion..

My 04 ford E-350 ( parts hauler )has the timing chain, so you are correct about the 3.5 timing belt for the R/T Intrepid..

I have taken turns at 60-65 mph on some local roads late at night with little/no traffic.. to the point where the tires just begin to slide and make that nice low screeching sound (losing traction), then i know i have to get off the gas...lol
I eventually found out that the rack bushings had some play in them, so i changed it to poly also..The pain in the arse was learning not to have the wheel stay tight to the right side, and then lock the steering wheel to get to the bolts easier.. as soon as i unbolted 1 side, it moved 1/2 inch..so i had to make multiple adjustments with it to get the bolts to line up again..
The struts was replaced by the prior owner..it has a firm ride to it..just the way i like it..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.