DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

How can I make fog lights stay on with high beams?

16K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  Dana44 
#1 ·
I have HIDS in for both low beams and fog lights and run both all the time at night. I dont need to use my brights often but when I do, I want as much light as possible. Is there a way to make my fogs stay on with the brights? I did this on my first gen intrepid and it was as easy as splicing a wire in the headlight switch. Just not sure if that would work on this one the same way

#4 ·
I'm going to say you could run a wire from the multi-function switch to the fog light relay to bypass when the BCM tells the fog lights to turn off when you hit the high beams. The fogs would still work normally as controlled by the headlight switch under all other circumstances. If you want details...I'll work on getting the diagrams together for you.

#5 ·
Yes its on my 99M. And yeaif it wouldnt be to much trouble, some diagrams or a detailed explaination would be great. Appreciate it!

#6 ·
You might want to check local ordinance first. I know in my area its actually illegal to have more than 4 bulbs on at any given moment. It can be considered distracting, and they can actually tow and impound your car for it. Its the only reason why I haven't done it myself....

#7 ·
Ohh yea that would be unfortunate. Good thing is in Wisconsin you can do damn near whatever you want. The biggest problem here is loud exhaust. Other then that pretty much anything goes!!

#31 ·
HID projector fogs.. in a 300M? I want details.

And for the people who say it is illegal; Yes in most state it is illegal. But so is running with your high beams on when there is oncoming traffic. Here in Montana, I've seen people with High beams + fogs + driving lights on, As long as they turn them off in the city / oncoming traffic no one will pester them about it.

I'd just wired in a relay off my low beams to the fog lights.

#13 ·
Just FYI, its illegal to have your fogs and your high beams on at the same time, as that would be 6 total lights.

You can only have 4 max at one time in the state of GA.

#14 ·
right and isnt it also illegal to have your high beams on near other drivers?>>
seems to me the only times you would need your high beams is when theres nobody around and you need the extra light. ....nobody around ...nobody would know/care. i mean if your trailing a cop with your high beams on,or your one of those people that just drives with their high beams on all the time, then yea, you deserve to get pulled over anyway, thats just crazy. and about the 6 total lights. what about the people with modded DRL's? where the high's stay on at a low power WHILE the lows and fogs are on.. i'd say thats a lot more illegal than what im trying to do.

#21 ·
True, but when you put the high beams on there is dark spots in the "short front" where the fogs hit.

Find out for sure by pulling back on the dimmer switch in the "flash to pass position" with the headlights and fogs on , you will get the complete system lit .

#23 ·
I'm not saying there isn't some kind of dead spot, I just see no particular reason to worry about it. If you're moving fast enough to use the high beams then you're going to hit whatever the fogs are lighting up and there's nothing you can do about it. And if you're moing slow enough for the fogs to make a difference then you don't need to see 1000' down the road - unless you're hunting opossum. :wink:

But, hey, I don't care if want to run 'em all at the same time - and even if it's illegal in GA I don't think it's illegal everywhere.

#25 ·
I honestly do not care one bit about the legallity of it, cause like it was said before, no body would know how many lights I have on at once because I turn my high beams off when someone is coming obviously. I have HIDS in the headlights and foglights, and the rule with HID's is your not supposed to be having them on, off, on, off all the time cause it will burn them out. I want to have it where when I turn on the high beams, the fogs stay on for that reason. So I am simply asking how I can do it. Again I do not have a shred of care about how legal it is to have all my lights on at once. This is Wisconsin, we can pretty much do whatever we want with a vehicle, especially something like having too many lights on, which they will never have any clue about.

#26 · (Edited)
You're now focusing on the legality when the answer was stated before. As I said before, use a relay to turn the fogs on when your headlights are on (see my post 17, above, with the comments that preceded it, especially gn300's). Relay coil across high beams, then relay normally open contact from an appropriate source of power to the fogs.

#30 ·
I like what my dad told me once; "You can do whatever you want. But don't come bitching to me when you get a ticket or fail inspections enough it gets flagged and towed to a junkyard."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.