DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

I need help please

5K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  98IntrepidTan 
#1 ·
I just bought a 2004 police pkg intrepid and am trying to replace my strut assembly. Had my wheel off 3 times to do this mf repair which SHOULD BE easy, but the 2 bolts on my control arm will not loosen! I've broken 3 rachets, bought a breaker bar and pb blaster, only to succeed in busting the head off my adapter! I don't have air tools or an impact driver... is there a way I can just cut the bolts off & buy new ones or something?
(I dont know anyone around here w/tools and can't afford to go to a mechanic because I've already spent so much on the car, parts, & fluids I still have to change out. Single mom w/very limited budget :/ )

#2 ·
ok,, I see your in Indy,, rust is not your friend, old police unit,, huge red flag, other than trying to bust things up , is find somebody with a torch, that knows how to use it, heat things up , and pray they bust loose

#3 ·
Are you talking about the two bolts that hold the strut to the Knuckle? If there are no rubber bushings involved, heating the bolts with a propane torch should do the job. (Please have a fire extinguisher handy!) If it is the two bolts on the knuckle break the nuts loose don't try breaking it loose by turning the head of the bolt.

http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/manuals/02lhe/02lhe.pdf

#4 ·
Yes!!!! That thing is an SOB. I'm afraid to damage something "breaking them loose", lol! I'm "little" but apparently stronger than I realize since I'm breaking Bostitch tools straight out of the package :/
I have had everything loose except those 2 bolts TWICE now & am ready to rip my hair out! (& I STILL have to do the oil change, swap the cam position sensor, check the spark plugs, most likely change the thermostat which I haven't bought yet!)
Nobody warned me about this car when I thought of buying it, but once I have it everyone says "That was your first mistake!". Idc, I love it & it handles like a dream. I've veen in ford& chevy since ...well, forever, so M new to this engine & have quite a bit to do, but if I can just get the 2 major things fixed it's conceivable

#5 ·
Yes!!!! That thing is an SOB. I'm afraid to damage something "breaking them loose", lol! I'm "little" but apparently stronger than I realize since I'm breaking Bostitch tools straight out of the package :/
I have had everything loose except those 2 bolts TWICE now & am ready to rip my hair out! (& I STILL have to do the oil change, swap the cam position sensor, check the spark plugs, most likely change the thermostat which I haven't bought yet!)
Nobody warned me about this car when I thought of buying it, but once I have it everyone says "That was your first mistake!". Idc, I love it & it handles like a dream. I've been in ford& chevy since ...well, forever, so I'm new to this engine & have quite a bit to do, but if I can just get the 2 major things fixed asap I should be alright. If nothing else it's a learning experience ;p

#7 ·
I Hope by now You would've gotten the bolt out and did Your oil and fluid changes. Its usually rough and tough for us rookies/beginners in the beginning, 'cos when going get tough the tough gets going, and We keep learning/expanding our automotive knowledgebase. But let Me get to what I want to say, whenever You have a problem of stuck bolts\nuts, just go get You some WD40 Or Cheaper & Yet effective alternative "Blaster" All Purpose Lubricant from Home depot for $1.99 & while You're there pick up a Propane torch Kit (The one with auto-lite head - it's better than the ones you gotta lite + it's awesome!) $24.97, You'll love it, get an extinguisher like the other person said just in-case as an added safety precaution (that's if you don't know what you're doing or haven't used one of them propane torches before) but you'll most likely not have any issues long as you focus on metal parts. Spray lots of the Lube, "Let it soak in" then Torch it, let it cool (it's flammable), spray some more lube, lightly tap it with a hammer, torch it again, let it cool, then break loose with a breaker bar, You'll see it come off easy like magic, that's what I did and always do with stubborn bolts/nuts.

Sorry for the long essay. But good to see a woman who works on their on car. Doing Your own work? That's the best mechanic you can ever hire.

#8 ·
Bolts? Nuts? Let's restart this thread and get straight on what part isn't moving. There is one bolt in that area that DOESN'T TURN! The nut is turned instead and the serrated bolt is pushed out.

Please guide us on what pert (nut/bolt) you are removing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.