DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Shell Rotella

3K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  turbo12pt2 
#1 ·
So how many people use the Shell Rotella oil? And what type and weight are you using?

#9 ·
Thanks

Rotella is a good oil, I use the none synthetic version for my flat lifters in the GTX, I could use synthetic as well but it's not worth it to me, I change the oil twice a year on this car and only put 3000-4000 miles on it.

On the drivers I still use what's on sale and change it at 3000, it's working for me on all my high mileage cars and I can do an oil change for around $16-$18

#10 ·
Just to chime in with my experience... I'm using Shell Rotella T6 5w40 currently, 1 gallon, with two quarts Rotella 15w40 (6 quarts were needed, and I didn't want to buy a second full gallon of t6)...

And now for short runs, my car is fine, makes no noise... but after a decent drive (20 miles or so?) it begins to hammer a bit - really quiet, but you can hear it at idle...

I'll be dropping the oil here soon in favor for something else (likely Valvoline Dino, 5w30) and a filter change - I think I'll take some of the oil from the filter and send it to Blackstone.

#13 ·
I think I'll pass on the "Craptella" oil. Thanks for the responses though.

#11 ·
Honestly the only way to tell rather or not your oil, or oil additives are doing anything is with solid proof. Using any oil analyst company would help. Say for instance I use Mobil Clean5k 10w30. I use to do 4 qts of it with one qt of lucas oil stuff. Blackstone noted my wear was great, and my viscosity was little high due to the lucas. I also noticed that molybdenum, an anti-wear agent in oil was high. So for 4 oil changes I stopped using lucas. The last report showed a jump in bearing wear, nothing critical but also showed my moly levels almost flatline compared to the old readings. So I put lucas back in and once this oil run is done back to blackstone to see if the lucas is indeed helping with bearing wear.

#16 ·
Just not going to use it. Sounds like it was a "Fad" for a few people. If it's not significantly cheaper than conventional synthetic I see no reason to use it. I don't have a 2.7L so I see no issues with sludge reduction, etc.

Dan....would you use Rotella in the SRT-8? I doubt it and I'm really not interested in using it in my other two 3.5L equipped cars now.

Again...thanks for the input that everyone provided.

#18 ·
I wouldnt use it. If you drop a Cummins in one of your LH's, then yes. LOL.

No, I will not use Rotella in the Mag. Planning Mobil 1 0w-40 per the factory, with a Mopar filter when it comes due.

#20 ·
Interesting thread.....never thought of using it in the ol' 3.5, just noisy at start-up with only 80,000 miles on it : /
I do however use Rotella in my 87 Shelby Charger. Seems to hold better heat properties for the turbo. The place I bought my rebuilt Garrett from recommended it rather than synthetic. I guess it has something to do with the old flat tappet slider cam and turbo combo .
So i use 15w-40 and a zinc additive...all seems well in that application.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.