DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

performance exhaust kit?

5K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Dirdy 
#1 ·
has any company put together a cat back performance exhaust?

had anyone replaced the front resonator with a two in one out high flow muffler?

my exhaust is knocking on the door of 300,000mi my front resonator looks like the top of a salt shaker, the rear resonator is splitting in two, its time to replace it, but i see no point in putting stock parts back on.

i did see an Intrepid in the junkyard with a "Camaro style" sideways muffler single in dual exhaust that didn't look too bad.

I'd like to find a complete exhaust or at least a parts list?

is there a difference in the fit of the exhaust between the LH body styles? 300M, 300M Special (duals) LHS, Concorde?

i have a full shop hoist, welder ect. so there is no limit to what i can do.

#2 ·
Exhaust tends to be a matter of personal choice. I am running the currently no cats, front factory resonator and a borla muffler (fart can technically) that runs out the passenger side.

And I am currently debating on a complete system rework, I am looking for freer flowing / weight reduction.

#4 ·
is there a difference in the fit of the exhaust between the LH body styles? 300M, 300M Special (duals) LHS, Concorde?

i have a full shop hoist, welder ect. so there is no limit to what i can do.

1998 - 2004 : all of the exhaust parts are interchangeable between the different models. Once you get under the skin, lots of parts are interchangeable.

The 300m does have cutouts in the bumper for the exhaust tips BUT that might be because the bumper hangs a little lower than the Treps or Cordes...

#5 ·
THANK YOU! that's what I've been looking for, now to replace the resonator, i read in other posts its not recommended to use a Y pipe in place of the resonator because it will sound like crap, i don't want a fart pipe sound or an annoying drone, I'm hoping a high flow muffler in place of the resonator will do the trick?

#7 · (Edited)
Not aware of any kits, but seems there may be from the other posts in this thread. Why not custom build? I did, complete true duals front to rear with first gen manifolds, spun cats moved back in the tunnel to keep the engine bay cooler, and Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers. If I can hunt up a pic of the new system I will post it. Mine is 2.25 pipe with a x pipe behind the cats. You need to extend the wiring harness to your downstream O2 sensors. I also heat wrapped the manifolds and downpipes to the cats to help control heat. Running this all behind the 4.0 stroker which puts a nice cam rumble thru those dual stainless tips.
Here's a pic before the swap, where the x pipe is in this pic is where the cats are now, side by side. The x pipe just got moved back further.:D

#8 ·
Not aware of any kits, but seems there may be from the other posts in this thread. Why not custom build? I did, complete true duals front to rear with first gen manifolds, spun cats moved back in the tunnel to keep the engine bay cooler, and Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers. If I can hunt up a pic I will post it. Mine is 2.25 pipe with a x pipe behind the cats. You need to extend the wiring harness to your downstream O2 sensors. I also heat wrapped the manifolds and downpipes to the cats to help control heat. Running this all behind the 4.0 stroker which puts a nice cam rumble thru those dual stainless tips.
I kinda wanna hear this. You have a sound clip? Also Off-topic but I like your rims

#10 ·
I would build a custom dual exhaust if I was getting it done, which I'm sure I will someday.

X pipe all the way, just a question of what you use paired with it.

I would also move that X pipe back and put two in line cats down there to clear room for headers, but that's dreaming.

#11 ·
Headers can be done, check out Dmondeacs thread on his stroker build, he modified prowler headers. I chose to go with first gen manifolds because from a very unscientific viewpoint they look like they flow better than the second gen manifold. I also had them shot honed to take out humps, bumps and other minor obstructions and make them a little more slippery inside.

#13 ·
I had a few different combinations of exhausts in my day. The Complete Borla cat-back system sounded the best out of the box, but is no longer available. I also liked the Camaro style Flowmaster FM80 to replace the rear muffler/resonator. Currently I still have the front resonator replaced with a y-pipe and it sounds like crap between 2500-3000 while accelerating, so I don't know what the x-pipe sounds like.

#15 · (Edited)
Like I've posted in a thread before, you can do a y-pipe without drone. You just need to put a muffler immediately behind it. I'll try to get a sound clip of mine. I did a custom y-pipe to a Magnaflow straight through stainless(its actually center-offset, with a S inside), and then a Flowmaster 40 at the bumper. It sounds great with no drone. I also swapped on the 2.5" pipe from a 3.2 car. At high rpm, it gets that slight rasp like a touring car has.

If you do a Y or H-pipe alone, it has a horrible drone like others have said. I took out my H-pipe because I couldn't stand it. But this configuration works. If I had to price it out, I spent $80 on the Magnaflow, $20 on the used Flowmaster, the 2.5" pipe was leftover from other cars($20-30 for a length of aluminized if you go to the right shop), and maybe $20 for some really good band clamps(like the factory ones). I also have Charger manifolds fitted but I'm sure they dont really add to the sound much.

2.7 has a 2.25", 3.2/3.5 has a 2.5" exhaust.

BTW, a well made Y-pipe makes all the difference in sound and flow. Most of the ones I've seen sold are just crap. They cut into a U or just chamber. A well made one should have the pipes going as straight as possible.

You want this

Not this

Or this

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.