DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Question about 02 300M heated seats

12K views 68 replies 16 participants last post by  ibedoughboy 
#1 ·
Is the electric connector plug and play with my 2000 ES harness? Direct bolt in?

#35 ·
Another satisfied customer! Don't forget to rep me! LOL!

Wait..I think you already did!

#36 ·
I'll be doing the same splicing as you did tonight for my Special seats in Project Ricer. I pulled the wiring the original owner had in the car before I sold you those seats. It was a Rat's nest of wiring at the fuse panel/junction block almost as bad as the stereo wiring under the rear seat!

#37 ·
These seats now have a mind of their own! Upon shutting the car off, the seat will go back and forth really fast (figure 1/2 inch on the tracks) 5 times. Not sure if there's a short somewhere, but this just started happening today. Time to pull it apart and inspect.

How do you control the intial position that the seat goes to once you turn the key? It used to go to one position when the key was first turned, and then to another position when turning the car off. Now it just does the back/forth thing. I tried setting position 1 and 2 per the owners manual, but the position doesn't change. I heard that the positions will be displayed on the radio, but I have an aftermarket unit.

#39 · (Edited)
OK, here's how this all started. Back when it was working, when I would press the low or high heat, the orange led would light on the switch on the seat. It worked on both passenger and drivers side. When I would put the key into the ignition, the seat would move up about 4 inches. When I would take the key out, it would move back 4 inches. I'm not sure if this had anything to do with the memory positions, or if this is typical of all that have these seats, but it always did this. I can tell you that when I pressed 1 or 2, nothing ever happened even after following the instructions in the owners manual. I have an aftermarket head unit.

Fast forward to last week. I'm vacuuming out the car, so I move the seat all the way up. Moved the seat back, then turn on the key. It goes all the way to the back position, and then the seat back goes all the way back by itself, with me not touching anything. So at this point, the headrest is touching the rear seat, and none of the buttons are functioning. I drive down the road like this, and back to the house. Disconnect the battery, hook it back up and the seat buttons function, allowing me to put the seat back to its original position.

So I disconnected all wires going to both seats today, and the battery, and also take out fuse #17 with the car on, and put it back in.

Heater function doesn't work on both seats, and when I take the key out of the ignition, it has a mind of it's own and does stuff like this. It will sometimes stop on it's own, and sometimes it won't stop unless I press one of the buttons. I also noticed that before the heated function stopped working, that when the led was on and I turned off the ATC, the led on the seat went out. Hasn't worked since. What the hell does the ATC have to do with the heated seats?

http://s234.photobucket.com/albums/ee90/dpapag/intrepid new/?action=view&current=IMG_1065.mp4

When I take the key out some times it does what is in the video and sometimes it just goes all the way back and moves back and forth really quick (about an inch worth on the tracks) and stops. Putting the key in, it moves to the same position it always did. Is there a wire shortage somewhere? None of the wires looked damaged under the seat where the connectors are. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

#42 ·
When I hooked up my EVIC, it ran all of the special functions that an EVIC has that an OTIS lacks and my base BCM is handling it. The only thing I never had was memory mirrors and I think that goes hand in hand with mirror/harness type.

#44 ·
Hey guys, not trying to cut across this but . . .
The other day I was helping a friend look for parts for his PTCruzer at the junk yard and I found an 02 300M (not a Special) that had the 360 amp in the trunk and the drivers and passengers heated power seats. I thought about upgrading to both drivers and passengers heated powered seats. I was wondering if it would be better to pull out all of the wiring and the BCM from the 300M for the seats and the amp. My 02 R/T only has the drivers powered seat??

#49 · (Edited)
I'm trying something somewhat outside of the discussion here but I hope someone here might have an answer.

A couple weeks ago I was at a salvage yard my friend owns and he had a 300M he was getting ready to scrap. It had a perfect interior so he let me have the front and back seats and wiring for $100. I jumped the car and checked the power movements and both heated seats lit up on high and low heat. I don't have an Intrepid or anything. I'm making stands to mount them on to make "luxury" seating for my garage and I would like to retain the Pwr/ Heat function.
I have mounted the driver seat on its stand and jumpered 12 volts from a car battery to the power plug under the seat and the 10 way movements are there...as expected. I wired together the driver and passenger seat underseat white plugs, powered both seats, and got nothing from the heated seat switched, but 10 way movement on both seats still. Then I realized the heated function didn't have power. I assumed initially the heated seat module under the driver seat distributed power for heat also. So, I jumpered from the positive battery post to the Bl/ Wt wire under the driver seat by the large white plug. Now I have both heated seat switches illuminated for night lighting. I push low or high heat on either seat and it lights up and lets me toggle b/n the two for a few seconds then it gets stuck on one of the settings, stays lit for a few more seconds and shuts off. Pushing the heated seat buttons on either seat does nothing again until I unhook the battery, wait a few seconds, and hook it back up. I have a second heated seat module and it does the same thing. Also, the memory function is kinda working. Only position 2 works...on both heated seat modules.
I think the wiring is correct from looking through this forum and other sources online, but I'm obviously missing something. My question is, do I need to utilize the junction block or the BCM? I talked with a technician at the Chrysler dealer and he said the PCI connection is just to send fault codes to the BCM. I don't have the one from the 300M; I didn't think to grab it when I got the seats and he crushed the car. I did grab one from an Intrepid he had. So, do I need to power up the junction block and power the BCM? I have the PCI wire from the seat connected to the BCM but I need to figure out which pin is the power to the BCM. Also, I'll need to pull up a full pin out to the junction block since i don't know where to connect the 12v to the junction block.

Sorry to ramble on and on, just wondering if anyone might know off hand what's going on here. I have added photos on my flickr account, but cant post URLs yet.

Thanks!

#50 ·
I personally have never attempted stand alone seating but from my understanding you need the cars BCM for the seats... quoted right from the Factory service manual.

"OPERATION
The MSM receives hard wired inputs from the
power seat switch and the potentiometers on each of
the driver side power seat motors. The MSM receives
messages over the PCI data bus from the Body Control
Module (BCM) and the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) (vehicle speed status). The programming
in the MSM allows it to process the information from
these inputs and send control outputs to each of the
driver side power seat motors. The MSM will prevent
the seat memory recall function from being initiated
if the driver side seat belt is buckled, if the transmission
gear selector lever is not in the Park or Neutral
positions, or if the vehicle is moving. The module also
controls the seat heaters and is connected to the seat
harness by four connectors."

I've attached a couple wire diagrams along with the pinouts for the 22 pin connector under the drivers seat... id could be that it's not getting a proper ground.. (seats not mounted to the metal of the car)

Attachments

#51 ·
If you're not concerned about "memory" and only standard power seat movement/adjustments....then all you need to do is connect the power connector. The seats will work just like your plain power seats.

#62 ·
That's how mine are hooked up now. When I hook up the harness, the seat becomes possessed and the heat function doesn't work. When I unhook the harness, the seat movement/adjustments work just fine.

http://s234.photobucket.com/user/dpapag/media/intrepid new/IMG_1750_zps7ddda712.mp4.html

I swapped out the driveres heat switch and the memory switch on the seat itself, and it did not solve the issue. I'm going to head to the yard and make myself another harness and also swap out the seat positioning/adjustment switch. I'll have another look at the wiring diagram. Maybe I can disconnect whatever is controlling the memory function and leave the heat function intact. At one point, everything was working just fine.

#54 ·
Thanks for the info. You bring up a good point about the grounds. I clipped a ground to the seat frame back to the ground on the battery...but that was before I realized I have to separately power the heated seat switches. I forgot to try that again after I ran power to the switches. What they are doing does seem like a ground fault similar to a problem I had in my BMW.

And yes I want heat...memory I could care less about.

A few pics attached. I'll sandblast/ paint the frames, but I'll add a skirt too to hit all the electronics and the battery.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

#56 ·
Those are perfect, thanks! I'm guessing that the seat heaters are grounded somewhere on the seat frame? When I add a ground from the seat frame directly to the battery ground hopefully that will take care of the issue I'm having.

I'm eager to try it but I've got to go out of town for a week for work, gaaaa.

#58 ·
From looking at the wiring diagrams it seems like all the grounds for the each seat (i.e., Power seat switches, heated seat switches, heating elements) are all tied together in the seat harness and go out through the green power and ground plug under the seat to the car floor.

If that's the case, then I have some other issue besides grounds, since the power seat switches are working.

#59 · (Edited)
G300 Under Driver Seat
G301 Under Passenger Seat

The seats will also have another connector that is the main power and ground for the seats. Take a look at the pics. The one with the larger white connector is the driver side, All connections listed below connect with the small white connector on the passenger side.

the Dark colored connector is the main power and ground for the seats.

Also I'm pretty sure you will need a BCM as it monitors the temp of the seat for shut off..

Here is the rest of the wiring:
Driver side connector (C319) (22 Pin white connector on the driver side)
1 VT/YL BCM #4, pin #9.
2 DB/WT junction block #C7, pin #7 --- this one also connects to passenger side (C318 Pin 3)

(C318 is Passenger side 8 pin white connector)
6 TN/DB Passenger side same wire
7 RD/TN Passenger side same wire
8 BK/LG Passenger side same wire
9 TN/LG Passenger side same wire
10 VT/BK Passenger side same wire
11 VT/LG Passenger side same wire

What are these for?
3 P70 20WT Passenger Mirror Common (Right/Down)
4 P72 20YL/BK Passenger Mirror Up
5 P74 20DB Passenger Mirror Left Driver

12 P71 20YL Driver Mirror Up
13 P75 20BK/WT Driver Mirror Left
14 P73 20YL/PK Driver Mirror Common (Right/Down)
15 P64 20YL/OR Driver Mirror Vertical
16 P65 20DB/YL Driver Mirror Horizontal
17 P161 20GY/LB Driver Mirror 5v supply
18 P69 20WT/RD Driver Mirror Sensor Ground
19 P67 20YL/RD Passenger Mirror Vertical
20 P68 20DG/RD Passenger Mirror Horizontal
21 P162 20GY/WT Passenger Mirror 5v supply
22 P66 20WT/BK Passenger Mirror Sensor Ground

Circuit/Wire ---- Description -------- Connects to
Driver Power Mirror (Memory) - White 12-Way
1. Z1 20BK Ground

(Rest is Not needed in your set up this is for Mirror functions)
2. P73 20YL/PK Driver mirror common driver (right/down) C301-14
3. C16 20LB/YL Fused rear window defogger relay output C301-2
4. P71 20YL Driver mirror up driver C301-12
5. P75 20BK/WT Driver mirror left driver C301-13
6. P161 20GY/LB Driver mirror sensor 5V Supply C301-16
7. P64 20YL/OR Driver mirror vertical position signal C301-9
8. P112 18TN/OR Auto day night mirror (+) C300-20
9. P65 20DB/YL Driver mirror horizontal position Signal C301-10
10. P69 20WT/RD Driver mirror sensor ground C301-11
11. P114 18TN/WT Auto day night mirror (-) C300-23
12. L61 18LG Left turn signal (300M Special) C300-24

Passenger Power Mirror (Memory) - Natural 10-Way
1. Z1 20BK Ground

(Rest is Not needed in your set up this is for Mirror Functions)
2. P70 20WT Passenger mirror common driver(right/down) C303-5
3. C16 20LB/YL Fused rear window defogger relay output C303-2
4. P72 20YL/BK Passenger mirror up driver C303-4
5. P74 20DB Passenger mirror left driver C303-6
6. P162 20GY/WT Passenger mirror sensor 5V supply C303-16
7. P67 20YL/RD Passenger mirror vertical position signal C303-9
8. L60 18TN Right turn signal (300M Special) C302-16
9. P68 20DG/RD Passenger mirror horizontal position signal C303-10
10. P66 20WT/BK Passenger mirror sensor ground C303-11

Memory Seat Module Connector (C319) (Driver seat)
(First connections made above)
1. D25 20VT/YL PCI BUS
2. G5 20DB/WT FUSED IGNITION SWITCH OUTPUT (RUN-START)

3. P70 20WT Passenger mirror common driver (right/down) MHSMM C2-11
4. P72 20YL/BK PASSENGER MIRROR UP DRIVER MHSMM C2-13
5. P74 20DB PASSENGER MIRROR LEFT DRIVER MHSMM C2-12

(These are the connections you made above)
6. P142 20TN/DB PASSENGER SEAT TEMPERATURE SENSOR INPUT
7. P130 16RD/TN PASSENGER SEAT HEATER B(+) DRIVER
8. P144 20BK/LG PASSENGER SEAT TEMPERATURE 5V SUPPLY
9. P134 20TN/LG PASSENGER SEAT HEATER MUX SWITCH
10. P140 20VT/BK PASSENGER SEAT HIGH HEAT LED DRIVER
11. P138 20VT/LG PASSENGER SEAT LOW HEAT LED DRIVER

12. P71 20YL DRIVER MIRROR UP DRIVER MHSMM C2-5
13. P75 20BK/WT DRIVER MIRROR LEFT DRIVER MHSMM C2-4
14. P73 20YL/PK Driver mirror common driver (right/down) MHSMM C2-3
15. P64 20YL/OR Driver mirror vertical position signal MHSMM C1-7
16. P65 20DB/YL Driver mirror horizontal position signal MHSMM C1-20
17. P161 20GY/LB DRIVER MIRROR SENSOR 5V SUPPLY MHSMM C2-7
18. P69 20WT/RD DRIVER MIRROR SENSOR GROUND MHSMM C1-1
19. P67 20YL/RD Passenger mirror vertical position signal MHSMM C1-6
20. P68 20DG/RD Passenger mirror horizontal position signal MHSMM C1-19
21. P162 20GY/WT PASSENGER MIRROR SENSOR 5V SUPPLY MHSMM C2-8
22. P66 20WT/BK PASSENGER MIRROR SENSOR GROUND MHSMM C1-14

Attachments

#60 ·
Thanks for all the info. I knew the green plugs were for the seat power and looking through the diagrams it seems like the grounds for the seat heaters and the power seat motors are tied together in the harness and run out the green plug to the floor ground.

It could be the BCM then. I have a complete junction block/ BCM. I know which wire goes from the seat plug and where it connects to the BCM. The issue I had is that I didn't know where to power the BCM. I have those wiring diagrams now so I'll try that next. I hope I don't need the PCM. I could get one, just would rather not. If it gets to that point I'll probably just directly power the seats from an external switch and 12v and bypass the factory switch. It'd be cool though to have the factory functionality.

Attachments

#63 ·
Have you taken a good look at that "vampire" clamp-on tap for the PCI wire you connected near the BCM?

You might want to try disconnecting it near the BCM and trying it on the PCI wire behind the radio. You should have that present as you have an ES. It'll be in the car wiring harness behind the radio even if you put in aftermarket audio.

#67 ·
The front seat frames are done and seats permanently mounted. The power movements all work but I haven't had time to get the heat figured out yet. When I get a chance I'll Ohm check the elements and see if there's a broken element causing the system fault.

The memory seems to be working but only for what's currently saved, it won't let me save new settings. Don't know if you need the BCM connection to get it to actually save seating positions. Not too concerned about that. People get excited seeing the seat moving itself all around after someone reclines it for a nap.

Working on the rear bench now. That frame is a bit more challenging.

Thanks for the wiring help.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.