So I have a 1994 Concorde whose battery keeps dying when its parked. The underhood lightbulb was staying on and killed the battery once. I looked high and low for the switch that is supposed to turn it off when the hood closes but couldnt find it so I just pulled the fuse (interior lights) to turn it off. Guess what, next day, the car was still dead again. I boosted it again and had to drive for a while today, so the battery was full charged, I checked the voltage when I was done, 12.6 and a few hours later, it was right at 12.0 thats a huge voltage drop for a few hours. I took off the negative ground cable so the battery doesn't die tonight, but I need to fix this asap. I was trying to get a current reading when the car was off but was struggling. I was hooking my meter up in series with the negative battery cable, but the only time I could get it to read anything at all was when I put the fuse back in. It was drawing 4.5 amps then, which makes sense why the battery would die, but I don't get why it isn't reading anything without the fuse in, even in 2ma mode. Oh well, anyone have any ideas?
Oh yeah, I checked out the charging system to, well to the best of my ability, its putting out over 14 volts when the car is on, so it looks good. Also, the battery is only 7 days old, the last one was dead dead, obviously from the same problem now I realize (couldn't tell before, I was 200km away from the car and couldn't check since it had no battery).
Not really. After I boosted the car and drove home, the battery was fully charged. It stayed charged for a full three weeks but I could tell with time it was getting weaker and weaker as the car was having a hard time starting. I guess since I wasn't doing long highway drives it was slowly being drained and not charging fully up. The last night I was there it died, and I'm back at school now so I unfortunately can't look at the problem in detail for a few more weeks. I took it to a mechanic, and with the bulb under the hood out it was only draining 11ma, which is pretty damn low. So I figure it's some sort of intermitent problem, I'll have to deal with it when I'm back home though.
Thanks for the tip on the switch too, saved me some time looking for it.
Check it out - Battery will not hold a charge
1 Alternator drivebelt defective or not adjusted properly.
2 Battery electrolyte level low.
3 Battery terminals loose or corroded.
4 Alternator not charging properly.
5 Loose, broken or faulty wirinf in the charging circut.
6 Short in vehicle wiring.
7 Internally defective battery.
I looked this up, figured it would help you narrow down where to look and know not to get ripped off or something.
LMK if you wonder about anything!