Electrical Problems out the Wazoo!!!
For about 2 days the voltage idiot light was on (usually, every 3rd or 4th start it would go off after the test) on my 96 trep 3.5 Finally, it died, had lights but no cranking to speak of. Alternator was already in my thoughts. Old alternator showed good on the test, but it looked sort of funky inside, had a bit of a smell, so I bought a rebuilt one. Put it in, nothing. IDEA: Battery hasn't been charging, I'll jumpstart it. Car starts, shuts off after about 10 seconds, before I can disconnect. I stop, look at the dead car interior, look at the hood--THE JUMPER CABLES ARE SMOKING! Burned right through both red ends, the black ends were smoking too.
Take the alternator back off, pull the battery, battery is totally dead, alt shows good (it'd better...) Get the battery charged, put the alternator back in, put the battery back in, put the + term on, no problem....put the - term on, sparks. Arcing. We're talking Pink Floyd in the engine compartment.
WTF is goin' on there???
TIA--this is a great place for info. you guys are great.