Po340 error question - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
Question Po340 error question

i recently bought a 2004 SXT Dodge neon and has been running great up until last night and when i was on the 4 line the car shut basically shuts off and has no power what so ever til i get down to about 20 miles per hour. but that is as fast as it will run i hooked up to a scanner error come up with the po340 error which of course is the cam sensor and i was wondering if anyone knows what could cause this before i actually take it in and get it fixed or if just the sensor is bad because i can easly fix that. but actually getting in the cam shaft would be a bit more time consuming and i'd rather just get it done by a pro. anyone have any idea the car after resting all night runs fine but am afraid to run it over 40 because at 60 is when it locked up on me last night?
hooventude is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 02:39 PM
I hit shit with sticks!


 
Daytrepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Zebulon, NC
Posts: 37,147
Feedback: 21 / 100%
                     
Garage
Its the cam sensor most likely. The cam sensor takes over timing over 2500 rpm which would explain your power loss. If its not that, timing belt or tensioner could be loose. Check it out ASAP, because if there is a problem with the timing belt, you could bend valves.

The sensor is a square plastic piece on the center back of the cylinder head, its pretty easy to replace yourself.
Daytrepper is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 03:22 PM
Intrepid Modder
 
James88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 569
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Cam timing sensor has failed. I replace a little more than one a year, on average, in my Intrepid. I am currently on cam timing sensor #6 in my car.

If you can, get a Borg/Warner replacement. This is what I got last time, and my car is running much better than it did with the Chrysler sensors.

Jim Snover

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooventude View Post
i recently bought a 2004 SXT Dodge neon and has been running great up until last night and when i was on the 4 line the car shut basically shuts off and has no power what so ever til i get down to about 20 miles per hour. but that is as fast as it will run i hooked up to a scanner error come up with the po340 error which of course is the cam sensor and i was wondering if anyone knows what could cause this before i actually take it in and get it fixed or if just the sensor is bad because i can easly fix that. but actually getting in the cam shaft would be a bit more time consuming and i'd rather just get it done by a pro. anyone have any idea the car after resting all night runs fine but am afraid to run it over 40 because at 60 is when it locked up on me last night?
James88 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 04:23 PM
I hit shit with sticks!


 
Daytrepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Zebulon, NC
Posts: 37,147
Feedback: 21 / 100%
                     
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by James88 View Post
Cam timing sensor has failed. I replace a little more than one a year, on average, in my Intrepid. I am currently on cam timing sensor #6 in my car.

If you can, get a Borg/Warner replacement. This is what I got last time, and my car is running much better than it did with the Chrysler sensors.

Jim Snover
Funny, ive been running chrysler sensors with no problems ever. I replaced them in 05 during my engine swap. You might have wiring connection issues.
Daytrepper is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 10:26 PM
Intrepid Modder
 
James88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 569
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
I wish I knew. I even borowed an oscilloscope from work that lets you log 2 weeks worth of data and rigged up a harness to measure it while driving the car. Also so I could keep the expensive o-scope from being lost or damaged, and watch it while the car was running.

No noise, no out-of-spec voltage fluctuations, no ringing on the waveform. Nothing.

But that was with a sensor that was working correctly at the time. I did not have the opportunity to keep the scope longer than two weeks, and after that the sensor failed.

Now, what I have noticed with the Borg/warner sensor has a bit more amplitude in the signal as compared to the one that recently failed. So a bit stronger of a signal back to the PCM. Maybe the old one was higher, too, when it was new? Don't know.

I have also noticed that when going up overpasses, with the Chrysler sensors, the cruise control would correct in big leaps. Nothing at all, then a lot of acceleration all at once, over-shooting the selected speed, and it cut the throttle severely to slow back down. Wiht the Borg/Warner sensor, it adjusts the speed much more incrementally, both accelerating and decelerating. Getting about two more miles per gallon, also, which I atttribute to the closer control of the speed.

Jim Snover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32Intrepid View Post
Funny, ive been running chrysler sensors with no problems ever. I replaced them in 05 during my engine swap. You might have wiring connection issues.
James88 is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
Thanks replaced the Cam Shaft Sensor and no problems so far =-)
hooventude is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome