OEM spark plug or not? - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4
Feedback: 0 / 0%
         
OEM spark plug or not?

Hello
Well I need to change my spark plugs and I wonder if I must buy the ones from A dealer or the Champion platinum Power spark plugs. Which one do you think is better? OEM or Champion platinum power?
Thanks
Rolio is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 08:56 AM
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 95
Feedback: 2 / 100%
 
Champion makes the OE plugs so there isn't much difference. The platinum ones will last longer. Personally I prefer NGK plugs for everything.
dsm_drew is offline  
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 09:45 AM
Intrepid Pro
 
TCPMeta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,935
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Depends on what motor you got. If you got a 3.2 or 3.5L get NGK plat lasers.
TCPMeta is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 09:51 AM
Intrepid Pro
 
tooch926's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Concord, Ohio
Posts: 1,069
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCPMeta View Post
Depends on what motor you got. If you got a 3.2 or 3.5L get NGK plat lasers.
I was gonna say, I just pulled a plug yesterday and they are NGK. That should be factory, right? I'll have to check the sticker.
tooch926 is offline  
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 10:14 AM
Intrepid Modder
 
James88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 569
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
I use Champion copper plugs. They're cheap, and the plugs are easy to change on this car, so it's no big deal to do them every 30K miles. And nothing gives a hotter spark.

I have tried just about everything else except iridium plugs, all seem towork equally well. The 3.5 is not that finicky when it comes to plugs.

Jim Snover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolio View Post
Hello
Well I need to change my spark plugs and I wonder if I must buy the ones from A dealer or the Champion platinum Power spark plugs. Which one do you think is better? OEM or Champion platinum power?
Thanks
James88 is offline  
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 10:18 AM
Intrepid Pro
 
tooch926's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Concord, Ohio
Posts: 1,069
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by James88 View Post
I use Champion copper plugs. They're cheap, and the plugs are easy to change on this car, so it's no big deal to do them every 30K miles. And nothing gives a hotter spark.

I have tried just about everything else except iridium plugs, all seem towork equally well. The 3.5 is not that finicky when it comes to plugs.

Jim Snover
I'll try the iridium plugs tomorrow night and let you guys know. They are made by Champion?
tooch926 is offline  
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 10:31 AM
Intrepid Pro
 
Fearless 2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CHICAGO
Posts: 3,963
Feedback: 2 / 100%
                     
After reading the title of this thread, I think I will go out to Napa and buy some plugs.

DO NOT CHANGE THEM WHILE THE BLOCK IS HOT!!!!!!
Fearless 2000 is offline  
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 10:35 AM
Intrepid Pro
 
tooch926's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Concord, Ohio
Posts: 1,069
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless 2000 View Post
After reading the title of this thread, I think I will go out to Napa and buy some plugs.

DO NOT CHANGE THEM WHILE THE BLOCK IS HOT!!!!!!
Def. that thing gets hot. hahaha
tooch926 is offline  
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 10:39 AM
Intrepid Pro
 
Fearless 2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CHICAGO
Posts: 3,963
Feedback: 2 / 100%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooch926 View Post
Def. that thing gets hot. hahaha
No doubt. I feel sorry for the poor guy who strips the head.
Fearless 2000 is offline  
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 12:26 PM
Intrepid Modder
 
Worm210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 267
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
I was watching Horsepower TV on Spike the other day and they did an experiment with the new E3 spark plugs versus other common brands as well as some well known "performance" plugs. The experiment involved the LT-1 V8 and their dynomometer. The results were surprising to say the least. The E3's actually saved 5% fuel and added 4 ponys to that awesome V-8.
Worm210 is offline  
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 12:29 PM
Intrepid Modder
 
Worm210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 267
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
I don't know if anyone on this forum has tried them but I'm planning them for my next tune-up.
Worm210 is offline  
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 12:52 AM
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 95
Feedback: 2 / 100%
 
Every couple of years companies come out with new design plugs that promise better fuel mileage and more power etc etc. I remember when Splitfire plugs were all the rage. On a dyno with all conditions controlled (basically a lab environment) the plugs may show some gain, but in real world driving conditions you'll never notice any difference. Most people install them and then say they feel the difference or whatever, but in reality its only in their head because they are expecting to feel a difference.

5% mileage increase and 4 horsepower sounds impressive, but if you're getting 20 mpg before the new plugs a 5% increase is only 1 mpg which will disappear the first time you leave a stoplight quickly or put a couple friends in the car. A 4 hp increase on a 350 hp V8 for example is a .01% increase. In an Intrepid with 200hp that would be 2hp. I challenge anyone to test drive two cars back to back and tell me which one has 2hp more than the other. My car runs great on $3 NGK G-power platinums and I'm sure would run just fine on the $1.50 Champion coppers. No need to spend $10 per plug which is what I've seen some sell for.

Now I'm not trying to dump on everyone or be a jerk but I did want to point out how most of these special spark plugs are much more marketing than performance.
dsm_drew is offline  
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4
Feedback: 0 / 0%
         
Well, I think I will go with the champion platinum finally. By the way my car is 1999 intrepid 2.7 liters.
Rolio is offline  
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 10:03 AM
Intrepid Pro
 
tooch926's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Concord, Ohio
Posts: 1,069
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm_drew View Post
Every couple of years companies come out with new design plugs that promise better fuel mileage and more power etc etc. I remember when Splitfire plugs were all the rage. On a dyno with all conditions controlled (basically a lab environment) the plugs may show some gain, but in real world driving conditions you'll never notice any difference. Most people install them and then say they feel the difference or whatever, but in reality its only in their head because they are expecting to feel a difference.

5% mileage increase and 4 horsepower sounds impressive, but if you're getting 20 mpg before the new plugs a 5% increase is only 1 mpg which will disappear the first time you leave a stoplight quickly or put a couple friends in the car. A 4 hp increase on a 350 hp V8 for example is a .01% increase. In an Intrepid with 200hp that would be 2hp. I challenge anyone to test drive two cars back to back and tell me which one has 2hp more than the other. My car runs great on $3 NGK G-power platinums and I'm sure would run just fine on the $1.50 Champion coppers. No need to spend $10 per plug which is what I've seen some sell for.

Now I'm not trying to dump on everyone or be a jerk but I did want to point out how most of these special spark plugs are much more marketing than performance.

What kind of plugs do you use in your Eclipse/Lazor/Talon?
tooch926 is offline  
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 11:52 AM
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 95
Feedback: 2 / 100%
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooch926 View Post
What kind of plugs do you use in your Eclipse/Lazor/Talon?
NGK V-power #BPR6EY

Even the guys running high boost, high power motors use the regular plugs, they just step up a heat range to BPR7.
dsm_drew is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome