Just for what it's worth - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Pro
 
Torontofirecaptain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Whitby, Ontario
Posts: 3,934
Feedback: 71 / 100%
                     
Just for what it's worth

Well, on my last trip to the States for a parts hunt & delivery, the old Grand Caravan had a hell of a vibration at 65 MPH. OK, so I figured that would stop me from getting any tickets for speed for the most part - did get stopped, but Mass. trooper let me off, but that's another story.
Anyway, decided today to see which tire is out of balance, so was going to move them around and see what happens.
Since I had a set of 18" Specials and a set of 17" 12 spokes sitting beside the van, decided to see if they would fit.
The Specials fit the front fine, lots of clearances; the rears were stopped by the cone that covers the retainer nut. Damn thing was 1/8" too big to go through the hole in the centre of the wheel.
So, tried the 17" wheels, found this:

Suckers fit just fine, lots of clearance, van rides nice again, no vibrations.
Guess I'll keep them on for a bit until I get around to getting the stock 15"ers balanced. They are all chrome, BTW, just the way the light is hitting them, the front looks different.
Someone else might have a spare set oF 17s.
As a side note, I took this while waiting for Silver Special, of the OTIS, showing my average MPG up to that portion of the trip, about 1300 miles:

Not to shabby for a 3.3 with 300000 MILES on it. All original engine and trans.

Also today, I saw this:


Sorry the first pic isn't too sharp, but shows some sort of front nose kit.
On the rear he has the big decal, and along the front & rear doors he has a huge INTREPID decal. Couldn't get a good pic of that.
He has duals of some sort as well as headlight covers.
A bit too much for my tastyes, but,..................


goal - have one of my parts on every DI car:biggrinfl
Honoured to be January 2007 COTM.THANK YOU ALL.
Torontofirecaptain is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 08:45 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: *******
Posts: 7,448
Feedback: 31 / 97%
                     
That's great fuel mileage!

I bet between all the modders on here, that Trep could be torn down to year,engine,what kind of exhaust, brake rotors,where he got what looks to be chrome door pillars, and everything else about that car. I also bet that at some time, he's been on this site.
cokey11 is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 08:56 PM
K9
Intrepid Pro
 
K9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hanover Twp. Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,206
Feedback: 2 / 100%
                     
Looks good for 300K!
K9 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 11:07 PM
Intrepid Modder
 
spence340's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: needham, MA 02494
Posts: 343
Feedback: 2 / 100%
             
That mileage is great, do you think the fact that you were keeping your speed down contributed or do you regularly get that kind of mileage?
spence340 is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 11:39 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
linuxglobal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mississauga-Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 2,840
Feedback: 5 / 100%
                     
vans are always good on gas. Not sure as to why. Our work van is a 3.4L Oldsmobile silhouette that used to be our minivan, it has like 330,000 km and still gets average 7.5-8.0 L/100 km (i think its around 30 mpg). BUt its impressive for a van its size, its similar to Ross' in length (extended chassis) and lugs around a 95L tank.

I think vans are just sluggish to begin with, and theres no point in trying to floor them since they wont move much faster than normal anyways so maybe that helps. But im always amazed with how efficient it is, i know my dad used my car a few times the van was getting serviced and he noticed how fast the gauge dropped LOL.

Vans have their perks tho so i cant complain, im driving around with my go kart this whole week to boot around empty parking lots hehhe.

CM

linuxglobal is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 11:56 PM
XGX
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 277
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxglobal View Post
vans are always good on gas. Not sure as to why. Our work van is a 3.4L Oldsmobile silhouette that used to be our minivan, it has like 330,000 km and still gets average 7.5-8.0 L/100 km (i think its around 30 mpg). BUt its impressive for a van its size, its similar to Ross' in length (extended chassis) and lugs around a 95L tank.

I think vans are just sluggish to begin with, and theres no point in trying to floor them since they wont move much faster than normal anyways so maybe that helps. But im always amazed with how efficient it is, i know my dad used my car a few times the van was getting serviced and he noticed how fast the gauge dropped LOL.

Vans have their perks tho so i cant complain, im driving around with my go kart this whole week to boot around empty parking lots hehhe.

CM
lol... my town & country with a 3.8L averages about 16mpg!
XGX is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Montreal (Quebec), Canada
Posts: 3,718
Feedback: 4 / 100%
                     
That car as the showcars bodykit....Those wheels look nice on the van. :icon_cool

Last edited by Bimmer_2002; 05-02-2008 at 09:50 PM.
Bimmer_2002 is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 12:29 AM
Intrepid Pro
 
jfsram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Ontario
Posts: 2,177
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
If those tires are a bit bigger your mileage will actually be a fraction higher.
jfsram is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 09:27 AM
Farticcus of Plenticcus
 
shadowvox6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: 39.199138,-84.669778
Posts: 17,030
Feedback: 18 / 100%
                     
Ross, I don't think you'll be able to kill that 3.3
The wheels look great on there.....

Maybe throwing a bone or two on the minivan will appease the minivan gods!!



shadowvox6 is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Intrepid Pro
 
Torontofirecaptain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Whitby, Ontario
Posts: 3,934
Feedback: 71 / 100%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsram View Post
If those tires are a bit bigger your mileage will actually be a fraction higher.
My mileage has always been almost 8 - 10% out, due to the usual 225 - 15s tires that I have instead of the stock 205, so you are right that the actual MPG may be a bit higher, and the 17" are almost the same circumferance as the them.
The MPG shown was with the 15s.

I guess the MVGs must smile on me a lot Tom. Every year I figure it will be the last trip, but it just keeps on hanging in there.
In fact, the above tires have over 100,000 miles on them, and are still 1/2, and I will be putting only the 3rd set of rear shoes on this weekend.
It still has the original rotors and drums if you can believe.

It'll be hitting the road again the end of May to Dan's, then probably to Reading again.


goal - have one of my parts on every DI car:biggrinfl
Honoured to be January 2007 COTM.THANK YOU ALL.
Torontofirecaptain is offline  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 10:47 AM
Intrepid Pro
 
dabirdzR/T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Myerstown, PA.
Posts: 6,788
Feedback: 7 / 100%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontofirecaptain View Post
My mileage has always been almost 8 - 10% out, due to the usual 225 - 15s tires that I have instead of the stock 205, so you are right that the actual MPG may be a bit higher, and the 17" are almost the same circumferance as the them.
The MPG shown was with the 15s.

I guess the MVGs must smile on me a lot Tom. Every year I figure it will be the last trip, but it just keeps on hanging in there.
In fact, the above tires have over 100,000 miles on them, and are still 1/2, and I will be putting only the 3rd set of rear shoes on this weekend.
It still has the original rotors and drums if you can believe.

It'll be hitting the road again the end of May to Dan's, then probably to Reading again.
does that mean a visit?

i like when ross comes to visit, we get the sit and talk cars.
dabirdzR/T is offline  
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 11:09 AM
Intrepid Pro
 
linuxglobal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mississauga-Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 2,840
Feedback: 5 / 100%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by XGX View Post
lol... my town & country with a 3.8L averages about 16mpg!
its the tranny in the GM. It backs out when you let go of the gas. Like accelerating = ~ 3000 rpm at 70mph. When you go downhill or let off the gas it drops to 800rpm.

ITs very efficient in concept, they made it pretty well for its time but its a death trap if you get into an accident.

CM
linuxglobal is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Pro
 
Torontofirecaptain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Whitby, Ontario
Posts: 3,934
Feedback: 71 / 100%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabirdzR/T View Post
does that mean a visit?

i like when ross comes to visit, we get the sit and talk cars.
Yes it does, has Dane contacted you yet? I think he was sort of going to ask if you could get his stuff dropped there.
Looks like the first week of June; tentetively scheduled at Dan's in Toledo for 31, so maybe Monday or Tuesday, depending on how much lolly-gagging I do on the way.
Torontofirecaptain is offline  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 01:24 PM
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 11
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
Sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxglobal View Post
its the tranny in the GM. It backs out when you let go of the gas. Like accelerating = ~ 3000 rpm at 70mph. When you go downhill or let off the gas it drops to 800rpm.
Wow, the amount of disinformation fans of one manufacturer spread about another is quite staggering.

None of the GM transmissions do anything of the sort, if you had one that did, it was broken. (And, yes, I've been through all the factory training on the 4T40E, 4T45E, 4T60E, 4T65E, 4L60E, 4L80E, and Allison transmissions, none of them do what you're talking about when they're operating properly.)

Quote:
ITs very efficient in concept, they made it pretty well for its time but its a death trap if you get into an accident.

CM
I don't have enough posts to post URL's, but the Silhouette/Venture/Montana has very similar crash test data to the Grand Caravan (comparing 2003 vs 2003). I didn't look up the Lumina APV/Transport generation, and that may be which one you're thinking of as a death trap, but I really doubt it, with the spaceframe design, it basically had a built in roll cage.
FieroJimmy is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 05:24 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
linuxglobal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mississauga-Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 2,840
Feedback: 5 / 100%
                     
look it up on youtube FieroJimmy.

Its not a pretty test video.

The tranny thing is they way it came new and thats how it works so call GM and tell them about it if you are unhappy with their setup. Plus this van is a piece of crap, its used as a work vehicle to lug crap around.

CM
linuxglobal is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome