Gass milage at half tank rumer... - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Clarksville TN USA
Posts: 80
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
Gass milage at half tank rumer...

I'v heard about a rumer that says if at a half tank of gass. you top off again. you'll be gettign better mpg. the reasoning behind this is that the lower half of the tank gets smaller in size to focus the fuel toward the line intake. then there's all the bs about gravity and the rate at wich the gass is sucked into the line, etc... any truth to this?

now i'm testing it out right now to see for my self but what have you guys heard and figured out?

(currently waiting on half tank. normaly i get 200 miles at the half tank mark. then hit the 300 mark with the left-over bottom half of the tank. so i figure if i top off at every half tank. then i should be gettign about 200 for every 6 gallons or 200 miles for about $20. and man would that be great!! ^_^ )
heofshadows is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 02:42 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
Fearless 2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CHICAGO
Posts: 3,963
Feedback: 2 / 100%
                     
I get around 320 miles on a whole tank.

Half I am not sure.
Fearless 2000 is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 03:01 PM
Intrepid Fan
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Southwest Wisconsin
Posts: 114
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
I have a 2000 Dodge Trepid, with the 2.7L and I just got back from a trip that was all highway miles..on a full tank of gas, I got 335 miles

Dan
flyweed is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 03:52 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
intrepid.luvah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 2,079
Feedback: 1 / 67%
                     
Full tank 230Miles on my 02 R/T
intrepid.luvah is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 03:58 PM
Intrepid Fan
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 106
Feedback: 0 / 0%
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by heofshadows View Post
I'v heard about a rumer that says if at a half tank of gass. you top off again. you'll be gettign better mpg. the reasoning behind this is that the lower half of the tank gets smaller in size to focus the fuel toward the line intake. then there's all the bs about gravity and the rate at wich the gass is sucked into the line, etc... any truth to this?

now i'm testing it out right now to see for my self but what have you guys heard and figured out?

(currently waiting on half tank. normaly i get 200 miles at the half tank mark. then hit the 300 mark with the left-over bottom half of the tank. so i figure if i top off at every half tank. then i should be gettign about 200 for every 6 gallons or 200 miles for about $20. and man would that be great!! ^_^ )
Impossible. The fuel pressure is maintained by the fuel system (pump and FPR), not the gravity of the fluid in the fuel tank. The fuel pump is there to sling the fuel to the rail. You'd need to have something going pretty far downstream to build up enough pressure for gravity to carry it horizontally towards the engine.
BluEHorizoN is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Clarksville TN USA
Posts: 80
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
now this rumer has been around for quite some time so the newer style cars/trucks might be built better/defferent.
heofshadows is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 06:59 PM
Speed is Power
 
NHogan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Iowa, USA
Posts: 6,683
Feedback: 37 / 100%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by heofshadows View Post
now this rumer has been around for quite some time so the newer style cars/trucks might be built better/defferent.
ditto
NHogan is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 07:20 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
Torontofirecaptain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Whitby, Ontario
Posts: 3,934
Feedback: 71 / 100%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluEHorizoN View Post
Impossible. The fuel pressure is maintained by the fuel system (pump and FPR), not the gravity of the fluid in the fuel tank. The fuel pump is there to sling the fuel to the rail. You'd need to have something going pretty far downstream to build up enough pressure for gravity to carry it horizontally towards the engine.
Correct, and even the older cars had a pump, so none going back to at least the 30s were gravity fed, so don't worry about it.

In fact, if you really wanted to be 100% correct, you'd get better mileage as the tank empties, since you are moving less weight.
Torontofirecaptain is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 07:57 PM
Intrepid Modder
 
Starnerf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 636
Feedback: 2 / 100%
                     
Yeah, I've always heard that you should wait until it's a 1/4 full since you carry less weight and make fewer trips to the pump.
Starnerf is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 12:44 AM
Intrepid Pro
 
jfsram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Ontario
Posts: 2,177
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
If there was a difference I'd bet running from 1/2 to empty would be the best mileage due to weight. If so you would not measure it in mpg but in inches because that's all you'd gain.

For convienience and time the best is to fill it and drive to the pin. This is the least number of fill ups. Trips to the station. Opening and closing the gas cap. Sticking the nozzle into the car. Go inside to pay and maybe buy yourself a treat.
jfsram is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 12:47 AM
I hit shit with sticks!


 
Daytrepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Zebulon, NC
Posts: 37,147
Feedback: 21 / 100%
                     
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluEHorizoN View Post
Impossible. The fuel pressure is maintained by the fuel system (pump and FPR), not the gravity of the fluid in the fuel tank. The fuel pump is there to sling the fuel to the rail. You'd need to have something going pretty far downstream to build up enough pressure for gravity to carry it horizontally towards the engine.
Agree, you would have to get another pump to force it into the fuel pump to make that kind of pressure and it probably still wouldnt do anything to your fuel mileage. Driving habits and car condition are the biggest things that affect your mileage.

I get about 220 on average from full to half, then about 130 from half to empty; if I run it until the OTIS says less than 20 miles remaining till empty.

Last edited by Daytrepper; 05-03-2008 at 12:52 AM.
Daytrepper is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome