Engine problem already...any advice??? - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 29
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
Sad Engine problem already...any advice???

I have only had my Intrepid since Monday and the engine light came on tonight. This was after I thought I was running out of gas. I'm not sure if it ran out of gas or stalled because of whatever made the engine light come on. My tank was on E (between the first lil red line and the 2nd red line) but the gas light wasnt on so I thought I had enough gas to get to where I was going. It was driving fine and then it started sputtering a lil bit so I headed to the next gas station thinking the gas light must not work properly. Just as I was turning into the gas station it stalled and would not start and then the engine light started flashing. I put gas in it....still didnt start. I then called a friend of mine who knows a lil about cars and he was able to get it started by switching the fuse for the fuel pump and its been driving normal since. But the engine light is still on.

He also noticed that my antifreeze was low and he had just added antifreeze for me on Thursday. I wasnt like extremely low but it wasn't as full as it was when he filled it. He said there may have been an air pocket in the line somewhere but i'm worried that its leaking into my oil since I read that it is common for that to happen with this car. I'm gonna go get the code read at autozone tomorrow but now im soooooo worried that I have one of the dreaded 2.7L engines that is gonna cause me problems. And i'm sad cause I really do love the car and I dont want it to be a problem car.

Any advice??? Has this happened to anyone else?
Coolwhip02 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 03:57 AM
XGX
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 277
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
hmm... the coolant thing is kinda scary sounding, but the check engine light can be cleared by disconnecting the batter leads. But I'd like to know what the code is for, can you do the "key dance" and see what code it spits out?

BTW... My gas light doesn't seem to come on either, until the car dies from running out of gas.
XGX is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 04:19 AM
Intrepid Modder
 
HiTechRedNeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Visalia, CA, USA
Posts: 430
Feedback: 3 / 100%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolwhip02 View Post
I have only had my Intrepid since Monday and the engine light came on tonight. This was after I thought I was running out of gas. I'm not sure if it ran out of gas or stalled because of whatever made the engine light come on. My tank was on E (between the first lil red line and the 2nd red line) but the gas light wasnt on so I thought I had enough gas to get to where I was going. It was driving fine and then it started sputtering a lil bit so I headed to the next gas station thinking the gas light must not work properly. Just as I was turning into the gas station it stalled and would not start and then the engine light started flashing. I put gas in it....still didnt start. I then called a friend of mine who knows a lil about cars and he was able to get it started by switching the fuse for the fuel pump and its been driving normal since. But the engine light is still on.

He also noticed that my antifreeze was low and he had just added antifreeze for me on Thursday. I wasnt like extremely low but it wasn't as full as it was when he filled it. He said there may have been an air pocket in the line somewhere but i'm worried that its leaking into my oil since I read that it is common for that to happen with this car. I'm gonna go get the code read at autozone tomorrow but now im soooooo worried that I have one of the dreaded 2.7L engines that is gonna cause me problems. And i'm sad cause I really do love the car and I dont want it to be a problem car.

Any advice??? Has this happened to anyone else?
I would suggest getting the codes before clearing the memory or going further with diag... at least then you will know what caused the code and what the problem could be. Then clear the computer and see how it does...

also, I don't know what level turns on the low fuel light, but mine comes on just a bit below 1/4 tank... could be just a burnt bulb...
HiTechRedNeck is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 29
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by XGX View Post
hmm... the coolant thing is kinda scary sounding, but the check engine light can be cleared by disconnecting the batter leads. But I'd like to know what the code is for, can you do the "key dance" and see what code it spits out?

BTW... My gas light doesn't seem to come on either, until the car dies from running out of gas.
I don't know what a key dance is. I was told that autozone can tell me what the code is and what it means so im gonna go there a check it out. I'll post it when I find out what the code is. As far as the anti-freeze issue.....I'm just gonna keep and eye on it and see if it continues to get lower. I'm hoping it was just an air pocket like my friend said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTechRedNeck View Post
also, I don't know what level turns on the low fuel light, but mine comes on just a bit below 1/4 tank... could be just a burnt bulb...
I dont think its a burnt bulb since the gas light does light up with the rest of the icons when I first start the car. I'm not so worried about the gas light not coming on. Now that I know it doesnt work I'll just be sure to get gas before it gets in the red. I definatly plan on figuring out the other problem before clearing the computer.
Coolwhip02 is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 05:42 AM
Intrepid Modder
 
ghalleo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Nassau, The Bahamas
Posts: 455
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Go inside the car push the key inside the ignition turn the key so that all the lights in the dashboard is lit up then turn the key back to you (forward, backward, forward, backward forward then backward again)...do that three times and look for the code/numbers that are being displayed where the milage of the car is normally shown. When you have successfully done that, just search up what ever code you gotten from you car right here on Di.net and you will see the meaning of the code.

Last edited by ghalleo; 05-04-2008 at 05:46 AM.
ghalleo is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 29
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghalleo View Post
Go inside the car push the key inside the ignition turn the key so that all the lights in the dashboard is lit up then turn the key back to you (forward, backward, forward, backward forward then backward again)...do that three times and look for the code/numbers that are being displayed where the milage of the car is normally shown. When you have successfully done that, just search up what ever code you gotten from you car right here on Di.net and you will see the meaning of the code.
Sounds easy enough for me. I'm gonna go try it. Thanks
Coolwhip02 is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 29
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
Okay I did the key dance and got P 0300, which I think is multiple cylinder misfire. Could this be because I ran out of gas and it was misfiring when I tried to restart the car? I'm hoping thats all it is....

Last edited by Coolwhip02; 05-04-2008 at 03:10 PM.
Coolwhip02 is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 03:57 PM
XGX
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 277
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolwhip02 View Post
Okay I did the key dance and got P 0300, which I think is multiple cylinder misfire. Could this be because I ran out of gas and it was misfiring when I tried to restart the car? I'm hoping thats all it is....
Sounds like a good answer to me And sorry to scare you in that post above, it probably was just an air pocket.
XGX is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 04:05 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
linuxglobal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mississauga-Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 2,840
Feedback: 5 / 100%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by XGX View Post
hmm... the coolant thing is kinda scary sounding, but the check engine light can be cleared by disconnecting the batter leads. But I'd like to know what the code is for, can you do the "key dance" and see what code it spits out?

BTW... My gas light doesn't seem to come on either, until the car dies from running out of gas.
mine comes on pretty early, a few ticks from the Empty mark, prob around 30-40km left on the evic readout.

So there is probably an issue with the sending unit, just keep it filled up a bit.

CM
linuxglobal is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 04:13 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 95
Feedback: 2 / 100%
 
I had a similar scare about my coolant recently too. I had flushed and refilled the coolant not long after buying the car. Few weeks later I noticed the coolant level had gone down slightly. In my case I think it was also a small air pocket that got pushed out (I had just installed a new coolant cap that had a good seal and higher pressure rating than what had been on it.)

Crawl under the driver side of the motor and look for the little weep hole next to the thermostat housing. If the water pump is going bad you should see some coolant leaking out of there. Look around for any other signs of coolant leaking while you're under there.
dsm_drew is offline  
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 04:14 PM
Intrepid Modder
 
HiTechRedNeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Visalia, CA, USA
Posts: 430
Feedback: 3 / 100%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolwhip02 View Post
Okay I did the key dance and got P 0300, which I think is multiple cylinder misfire. Could this be because I ran out of gas and it was misfiring when I tried to restart the car? I'm hoping thats all it is....
I'll second that... sounds like you just ran out of gas and nothing to worry about. Clear the memory by removing the PCM fuse in the fuse box under the hood. while the fuse is out, turn the key on but don't start the engine. leave it on for at least 20sec, turn off key, insert fuse and you're reset...

also, don't just watch the coolant level... if you suspect coolant leaving the system, check oil level every day for a week... that should give you enough info about what is going on...
HiTechRedNeck is offline  
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 29
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by XGX View Post
Sounds like a good answer to me And sorry to scare you in that post above, it probably was just an air pocket.
You didn't scare me...I was scared before your comment...lol. I'm gonna keep a very close eye on it. I'm working on finding a good mechanic in my area, so when I figure out who will be working on my car i'm gonna have all my worries checked out and fixed if needed.
Coolwhip02 is offline  
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 29
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm_drew View Post
Crawl under the driver side of the motor and look for the little weep hole next to the thermostat housing. If the water pump is going bad you should see some coolant leaking out of there. Look around for any other signs of coolant leaking while you're under there.
Unfortunatly I'm too much of a girly girl to be crawling under my car But I may be able to get my bf to do it for me. Thanks for the info!!
Coolwhip02 is offline  
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 29
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTechRedNeck View Post

also, don't just watch the coolant level... if you suspect coolant leaving the system, check oil level every day for a week... that should give you enough info about what is going on...
I Didn't even think about doing that....duhhhh!!!! Would make sense if the coolant is leaking into the oil the oil level would go up....Man I wonder about myself sometimes!!! LOL Thanks!!!
Coolwhip02 is offline  
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 05:08 PM
Dain bramaged

 
Veeb0rg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,188
Feedback: 6 / 100%
                     
Also, if the coolant is leaking into the oil the oil will turn into "sludge".

Where in MD are you?
Veeb0rg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome