New Concorde owner - Questions? - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Newbie
 
pikapp447's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Olive Branch, MS
Posts: 25
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
Smile New Concorde owner - Questions?

Guys,
I picked up a 2002 Chrysler Concorde over the weekend with only 36k miles. A grandma owned it and took really good care. She had the oil changed, but that's about it. I am in the process of replacing the front brake rotors/pads, draining all fluids (tranny, differential, power steering, brake), cleaning the TB and IAC, changing the spark plugs, replacing the PCV valve and having the front end aligned. I came across this website, dodgechryslersteeringproblems.com, two days after buying it and really wanted to just check the validity of the claims and if there is anything I need to look out for/check prior to my alignment. I am thinking about changing out the bushings that connect the inner tie rods to the steering gear. What about tie rod ends? What a terrible steering design for the home mechanic, huh? Any advice for a new owner would be greatly appreciated. So far the car has been great.

Thanks,
Ryan
pikapp447 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 02:44 PM
I hit shit with sticks!


 
Daytrepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Zebulon, NC
Posts: 37,145
Feedback: 21 / 100%
                     
Garage
IMO, dodgechryslersteeringproblems.com represents people who are ignorant of their vehicle and do not pay attention to regular maintenance items such as tie rods, ball joints, bushings, etc, which on any car will loosen up after many thousands of miles. Common sense really.

Most of these so called "defective" cars have 75-100k miles on them and that is pretty good mileage nowadays for tie rods, ball joints, etc. You should have your car checked over at least once a year to check for loose parts such as that.

If your concerned about the suspension and steering, just check the parts for wear and play as with any car, and replace as needed. This should be done anyways at regular maintenance, ie oil changes, tire rotations, etc. Dont pay attention to crap like dodgechryslersteeringproblems.com and other sites, as there is one for about every issue on every make and model of vehicle. Valid defects aside, as they do exist, most are just jargon.

Also, they are not any harder to work on for the home mechanic than any other vehicle. You just need to know how to go about it. There is special equipment needed for some procedures, but not for most. I think the Concorde and Intrepid is one of the easiest vehicles to work on that is made today.


1998 Dodge Intrepid
President; Danbo's Truck & Diesel, Inc
Director of Speeding; Chornay Boomers of Youngsville, GmbH
President, Rush Drumming Ventures, LTD;

Last edited by Daytrepper; 05-09-2008 at 02:52 PM.
Daytrepper is offline  
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 11:30 PM
XGX
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 277
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32Intrepid View Post
IMO, dodgechryslersteeringproblems.com represents people who are ignorant of their vehicle and do not pay attention to regular maintenance items such as tie rods, ball joints, bushings, etc, which on any car will loosen up after many thousands of miles. Common sense really.

Most of these so called "defective" cars have 75-100k miles on them and that is pretty good mileage nowadays for tie rods, ball joints, etc. You should have your car checked over at least once a year to check for loose parts such as that.

If your concerned about the suspension and steering, just check the parts for wear and play as with any car, and replace as needed. This should be done anyways at regular maintenance, ie oil changes, tire rotations, etc. Dont pay attention to crap like dodgechryslersteeringproblems.com and other sites, as there is one for about every issue on every make and model of vehicle. Valid defects aside, as they do exist, most are just jargon.

Also, they are not any harder to work on for the home mechanic than any other vehicle. You just need to know how to go about it. There is special equipment needed for some procedures, but not for most. I think the Concorde and Intrepid is one of the easiest vehicles to work on that is made today.
This is true, the rack in the LH's are so high up that it's very easy to get to.
XGX is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 11:48 PM
Intrepid Modder
 
James88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 569
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Which engine do you have? The 2.7 has timing chains that are supposed to last the life of the engine. The 3.5 has a timing belt, that should be replaced every 108K miles or some specified period of time.

Anybody remember what the time-interval for replacing the 3.5 timing belt is? I never knew, because I was putting 1,000 miles a week on my SXT, so the miles always racked up before the time.

Jim Snover

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikapp447 View Post
Guys,
I picked up a 2002 Chrysler Concorde over the weekend with only 36k miles. A grandma owned it and took really good care. She had the oil changed, but that's about it. I am in the process of replacing the front brake rotors/pads, draining all fluids (tranny, differential, power steering, brake), cleaning the TB and IAC, changing the spark plugs, replacing the PCV valve and having the front end aligned. I came across this website, dodgechryslersteeringproblems.com, two days after buying it and really wanted to just check the validity of the claims and if there is anything I need to look out for/check prior to my alignment. I am thinking about changing out the bushings that connect the inner tie rods to the steering gear. What about tie rod ends? What a terrible steering design for the home mechanic, huh? Any advice for a new owner would be greatly appreciated. So far the car has been great.

Thanks,
Ryan
James88 is offline  
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Newbie
 
pikapp447's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Olive Branch, MS
Posts: 25
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
Thumbs down

I have the 3.5 HO. From what I can tell, it's a solid motor. Thanks for the posts guys.
pikapp447 is offline  
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 02:41 PM
Speed is Power
 
NHogan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Iowa, USA
Posts: 6,683
Feedback: 37 / 100%
                     
Welcome to the site it looks like a good clean ride.
NHogan is offline  
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 12:36 AM
Intrepid Pro
 
yiranhu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Powell Ohio
Posts: 1,778
Feedback: 9 / 100%
                     
hehe 3.5 HO and in a 2002 concorde (best year!)... you lucked out. Keep changing oil and that engine will last forever. Your list of maintenance is good. Doing tranny fluid and again at 60K or something means you don't need to flush the tranny. Just drop the pan and replace the filter and fill her back up. Diff fluid is pretty easy to do.

As far as steering components are concerned, I wouldn't worry about it. Since you are getting an alignment, they will tell you if there's play. Two major things with these cars: the inner tierod bushing degrade over time and cause bad alignment and looseness in steering. This is very common but repair is not hard to do. At 35K (and garaged I assume), this shouldn't be a problem. If it is, then alignement people will tell you.

Yiran Hu
graduate research associate
Center for Automotive Research
at THE Ohio State University

2004 Intrepid SXT
Your Current Signature Picture
yiranhu is offline  
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 01:56 AM
Intrepid Modder
 
James88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 569
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
The 3.5 is a great engine. All second-gen 3.5's have a 60-degree V aluminum block and heads, 4 valves per cylinder, forged crank and rods, and forged steel intake valves, and exhaust valves with forged steel heads and welded steel stems. And hypereutectic pistons.

The crank shaft has 30-degree offset throws, which combined with the 60-degree V block ensure perfect primary, secondary and tertiary balance and the same constant torque loading of the crankshaft as an inline-6.

It is one of the few SOHC cam engines that features 4-valves per cylinder.

The manifold on the HO-version has several variable-geometry tricks. It can change from short runners to long runner as needed, and it can tune the pressure between both sides of itself to ensure better cylinder filling throughout the rpm range.

In short it is a brilliant engine! It does run hot, however, by design. The cooling system maintains it at 210-230 degrees F. It is somewhat more forgiving of missed oil changes than the 2.7, but not by much. It is not forgiving of any oil starvation, so make sure it is within the "full" range on the disptick.

Jim Snover

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikapp447 View Post
I have the 3.5 HO. From what I can tell, it's a solid motor. Thanks for the posts guys.
James88 is offline  
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 03:38 AM
Intrepid Modder
 
Worm210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 267
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
This might seem dumb, but what makes the 2002 3.5 ho the "best year"?
Worm210 is offline  
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 04:10 AM
XGX
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 277
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worm210 View Post
This might seem dumb, but what makes the 2002 3.5 ho the "best year"?
I honestly have no idea, but the 2.7L that I put into my trep is a 2002 model and it is so clean you can read letters and numbers off of internal parts through the oil filler hole. I think '02 was a good year for some reason.
XGX is offline  
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 08:21 AM
Intrepid Modder
 
James88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 569
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
In late 2002 Chrysler initiated a whole series of major cost cuts on all components. Plastic used for the dash, for example, was thinner and lesser quality. All plastics in the vehicle were affected, not just the dash. After '02, the dash will sometimes crack, near the center, for no reason other than it i cheap. Basically, the cost cuts sucked the majority of the materials quality right out of the car. Lights in the glove box deleted, quality of the wiring and connectors throughout the car were degraded, etc. Even the quality of the paint was reduced.

Now, from the initial creation of the intrepid through 2002, I personally rated Chrysler's quality right up there with any foreign car. There are several things that go towards quality in a car: the design, the materials, and the manufacture of the car. Not a good design? Then materials and build can never make it a good car. Bad materials? Your well-designed car will not last long and/or have a bunch of issues, especially as it ages. Poorly made? Good design and materials can';t compensate for something thrown together without care.

Chrysler had a great design for the car, one of the best ever in my opinion. The cars were assembled by Canadians, who can turn Yugos into Mercedes, so it wasn't build quality that was affected. It was materials quality that took the big hit as Chrysler fought their way to sub-mediocrity, and their materials have been poor ever since late 2002.

I had two pre-'02 Intrepids, a '99 and '01. Both had the 2.7 engine. I put 230K miles on both of those cars and I never had a problem with either one of them. Not one single problem from those cars. I bought my '04, and within one month seval switches broke off. The rear defroster stoppe working. The cruise control switches went flaky. The list goes on and on. I have fixed all of these things myself, but it's a good thing I have otherwise I would have gone broke.

I have had six cam position sensors in this car. The first five were all Chrysler OEM parts. The current one is a Borg-Warner aftermarket item. The difference in the qualityand performance of the two sensors is night and day, the BW sensor is way superior to the Chrysler items.

That is why it's good to have a pre-'02 LH-platform car.

Jim Snover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worm210 View Post
This might seem dumb, but what makes the 2002 3.5 ho the "best year"?
James88 is offline  
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 09:16 AM
Intrepid Pro
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: *******
Posts: 7,448
Feedback: 31 / 97%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by James88 View Post
The cars were assembled by Canadians, who can turn Yugos into Mercedes, so it wasn't build quality that was affected.
That's a big compliment!
cokey11 is offline  
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 09:29 AM
Intrepid Fan
 
Keylies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Boisbriand, Québec, Canada
Posts: 217
Feedback: 1 / 100%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by James88 View Post
In late 2002 Chrysler initiated a whole series of major cost cuts on all components. Plastic used for the dash, for example, was thinner and lesser quality. All plastics in the vehicle were affected, not just the dash. After '02, the dash will sometimes crack, near the center, for no reason other than it i cheap. Basically, the cost cuts sucked the majority of the materials quality right out of the car. Lights in the glove box deleted, quality of the wiring and connectors throughout the car were degraded, etc. Even the quality of the paint was reduced.
...
That is why it's good to have a pre-'02 LH-platform car.

Jim Snover
You said pre-2002 LH-platform car are better than post-2002.
But what about 2002. My guess will be it's like buying a lottery ticket....!!!!

Mine was a 2002 with the big plug on the radio HU like 2003 has, so I assume I own a post-2002?
Keylies is offline  
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 11:57 AM
Intrepid Modder
 
James88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 569
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
It's only one guy's opinion, but I have never seen anything made in Canada that was not well made. I guess it's all the snow, it gives them time to read the manual?

Jim Snover

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokey11 View Post
That's a big compliment!
James88 is offline  
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 12:00 PM
Intrepid Modder
 
James88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 569
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
I have not heard of anyone with an '02 having all the reliability issues of '03 and later. As I understand the cuts were initiated in late '02. Hopefully they had enough inventory on hand to get yours out the door with the good stuff.

Jim Snover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keylies View Post
You said pre-2002 LH-platform car are better than post-2002.
But what about 2002. My guess will be it's like buying a lottery ticket....!!!!

Mine was a 2002 with the big plug on the radio HU like 2003 has, so I assume I own a post-2002?
James88 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome