seafoam help - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Pro
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New Port Richey, Florida
Posts: 1,225
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
seafoam help

ok i searched about this topic and shit is scatterd all over this forum. i wanna do the seafoam treatment this weekend and wanna know exacly how to do it. i wanna clean everything else seafoam will let me. how many cans would i need and the prober places to put it in. and when to run. so on and so forth
mysteryemotionz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 02:30 PM
Intrepid Modder
 
dolan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Minny
Posts: 445
Feedback: 3 / 100%
                     
Uhh.. You have a first gen, so I don't exactly know where the hoses are on the 3.3 engine. I just did my 2.7 a couple weekends ago, I believe I had it drawn in through the cruise control vacuum line. I could show you a picture but it wouldnt help much as you have a different engine.

I also poured some into my gas tank. I think the can reccommends 1 oz of seafoam for each gallon of gas in your tank.

I did not add any to my oil, I think that was the 3rd option on the can. Good luck.
dolan is offline  
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 02:35 PM
Intrepid Modder
 
Vampiricos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mena, Arkansas
Posts: 300
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                 
since it comes in bout a ten ounce can, one can for your fuel tank will do, and one can to run through your engine. i have a first gen myself and i'm not sure which vacuum hose my buddy used to put the stuff through the engine if you have a haynes manual look it up in there to see where your vacuum hoses are. also be careful how much seafoam you add to your oil, don't put in too much since when you put the seafoam through your engine, most of the internals will already be fairly clean.
Vampiricos is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 02:40 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 723
Feedback: 6 / 100%
                     
When I used it, I used the PCV hose, and a little in the tank.
trepman is offline  
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 02:41 PM
Intrepid Modder
 
dolan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Minny
Posts: 445
Feedback: 3 / 100%
                     
IIRC, my can was either 16 oz or 20 oz. It is out in my trunk right now and I don't feel like going to look at it, lol.
dolan is offline  
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Pro
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New Port Richey, Florida
Posts: 1,225
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
i know about adding it to my fuel. so for that i use one once per gallon of gas i have in my car? i just had my oil changed 500 miles ago should i wait till i need another oil change and change the oil of the treatment? what pcv house do i use since i got the breather filter and do i have to remove the breather an put that pcv house back in for the treatment? and can someone tell me wich vaccume hose to use? and where is the cruise controll vaccume hoses located? would it be safe to run it in all these places at once or should i do one after the other? and what kind of seafoam do i get

1) Sea Foam / 12 oz. Deep Creep Multi-Purpose Penetrating Lubricant and Cleaner
2) Sea Foam / 16 oz. Engine Fuel and Diesel Treatment
3) Sea Foam / 16 oz. Automatic Transmission and Power Steering Tune Up

Last edited by mysteryemotionz; 06-03-2008 at 05:32 PM.
mysteryemotionz is offline  
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 03:54 PM
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
i had the same problem when i joined this site. i mainly joined just to find out how to do the seafoam procedure. well i found out there aren't any good tutorials that show you step-by-step on how to do it.

theres one "tutorial" on this site that literally just posts the words on the side of the seafoam can. that was extremely frustrating to say the least. its also one thing to describe to someone how to do something, but its alot better if you show them.

i have a 1993 3.5L and i had to figure out for myself on how to do it. when i get around to it, maybe this weekend, ill post up a full tutorial including pictures on how i did it.

if you put the seafoam and suck it in through your pcv valve, your going to have to get an oil change because it will end up in your crankcase. the best way to do it would be through the power steering booster line or through the two vacuum lines that feed the intake manifold (how i did it). when i put the seafoam into the pcv hose, i was dissapointed when i didnt see any smoke at all, and nothing felt different. then i did it through the vacuum hoses and voila..smoke show!

i can now report that i am getting at least 3-4 mpg increase than before
:bouncer:
Staff11 is offline  
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 04:15 PM
Intrepid Modder
 
dolan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Minny
Posts: 445
Feedback: 3 / 100%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staff11 View Post
i can now report that i am getting at least 3-4 mpg increase than before
:bouncer:
I don't think I gained 3-4 mpg when I did mine.. I gained like MAYBE 1-2... but I did notice increased throttle response.
dolan is offline  
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 07:10 PM
Intrepid Modder
 
James88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 569
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
I think maybe you are confusing the breather inlet with the PCV. If you use the breather inlet, then yes, you are pulling sea Foam into your oil. If you use the PCV valve, then it is going straight into the manifold, it never gets anywhere near the oil system.

Jim Snover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staff11 View Post
i had the same problem when i joined this site. i mainly joined just to find out how to do the seafoam procedure. well i found out there aren't any good tutorials that show you step-by-step on how to do it.

theres one "tutorial" on this site that literally just posts the words on the side of the seafoam can. that was extremely frustrating to say the least. its also one thing to describe to someone how to do something, but its alot better if you show them.

i have a 1993 3.5L and i had to figure out for myself on how to do it. when i get around to it, maybe this weekend, ill post up a full tutorial including pictures on how i did it.

if you put the seafoam and suck it in through your pcv valve, your going to have to get an oil change because it will end up in your crankcase. the best way to do it would be through the power steering booster line or through the two vacuum lines that feed the intake manifold (how i did it). when i put the seafoam into the pcv hose, i was dissapointed when i didnt see any smoke at all, and nothing felt different. then i did it through the vacuum hoses and voila..smoke show!

i can now report that i am getting at least 3-4 mpg increase than before
:bouncer:
James88 is offline  
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 07:12 PM
Intrepid Modder
 
James88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 569
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
The Intrepid has a 16 gallon tank. So just put in one full can and fill the tank and bingo: the ratio is correct. I have used two cans per tankfull of gas on a few cars that had all kinds of crud on the injectors, and it cleaned them right up and did not smoke at all.

On average, I put in one full can every 3K miles.

Jim Snover

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteryemotionz View Post
i know about adding it to my fuel. so for that i use one once per gallon of gas i have in my car? i just had my oil changed 500 miles ago should i wait till i need another oil change and change the oil of the treatment? what pcv house do i use since i got the breather filter and do i have to remove the breather an put that pcv house back in for the treatment? and can someone tell me wich vaccume hose to use? and where is the cruise controll vaccume hoses located? would it be safe to run it in all these places at once or should i do one after the other? and what kind of seafoam do i get

1) Sea Foam / 12 oz. Deep Creep Multi-Purpose Penetrating Lubricant and Cleaner
2) Sea Foam / 16 oz. Engine Fuel and Diesel Treatment
3) Sea Foam / 16 oz. Automatic Transmission and Power Steering Tune Up
James88 is offline  
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 07:37 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 723
Feedback: 6 / 100%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by James88 View Post
I think maybe you are confusing the breather inlet with the PCV. If you use the breather inlet, then yes, you are pulling sea Foam into your oil. If you use the PCV valve, then it is going straight into the manifold, it never gets anywhere near the oil system.

Jim Snover
Thank You.
Maybe I should have been more clear, sorry.
Pull the hose off the PCV valve in the rocker cover, not the intake side.
It's a big/ger vac. hose and easier to pour in the "foam".
Plus, it's after the TB, but before the injectors on a 3.3.
Not so much you kill the car mind you, but enough to make it "stutter" in my case.
Gumout spray cleaner does well on the TB/butterfly.
trepman is offline  
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 08:46 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
tooch926's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Concord, Ohio
Posts: 1,069
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
The SeaFoam website has a few "how to's"
tooch926 is offline  
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Pro
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New Port Richey, Florida
Posts: 1,225
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
aight so ima disconnect the pcv house at the valve cover and poor the sea foam into the hose?
mysteryemotionz is offline  
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 10:37 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
01Intrepid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Greenville, South Carolina
Posts: 4,498
Feedback: 5 / 100%
                     
I first put half in a full tank and i notice a difference in the power...... So about 3 months later i got the nerve up to put the other half in the engine, but i got no smoke at all... I heard that the 3.2/3.5L engine don't smoke or as much as the 2.7L engine which puts out the "smoke show"....
01Intrepid is offline  
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 11:18 PM
Intrepid Modder
 
James88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 569
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
My 3.5 smoked so much the first time I did it that it chased away my mother-in-law and fogged up the entire neighborhood. Then it smoked like crazy for 10 miles on the freeway. It was the most fun I have ever had with a car. Ever since, it hardly smokes at all when I Seafoam it.

Jim Snover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Intrepid View Post
I first put half in a full tank and i notice a difference in the power...... So about 3 months later i got the nerve up to put the other half in the engine, but i got no smoke at all... I heard that the 3.2/3.5L engine don't smoke or as much as the 2.7L engine which puts out the "smoke show"....
James88 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome