Start up issues with 98 intrepid - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Fan
 
jjohn320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Stevens Point and Grantsburg WI
Posts: 242
Feedback: 1 / 100%
 
Start up issues with 98 intrepid

Ok so I've searched the forums and found several of these problems unresolved and if we can all work together maybe at least some of us can fix this.

The problem is that some of us start our cars drive around for a while and then get out (to run into a store or something similar) and come back 20 minutes later to find that our cars wont start...usually crank but wont turn over and if they do turn over they sputter and die right away.
If you put your foot on the gas you may be able to keep it running with lots of misfires and shaking, if you rev it up it will clear out and run smooth. Shut it off immediately start it and it will start up fine. Shut it off wait an hour it will start up fine...its just that 20 minute period where it does this.

Many of us are also experiencing gas mileage around 17-18mpg. From my own experience 17-18 with driving 98% highway 55-60mph is not good..especially when other member on the site are getting 23-24 with city driving and stop and go traffic.

I will begin with what I have done to MY car. I had this Issue WITH BOTH ENGINES....

2.7l swapped out for 3.2l (all new belts, new waterpump etc.)injectors are seperate...the injectors from the 2.7 were in the 2.7 and the 3.2 in the 3.2...unlikely that both sets of injectors had problems.
Spark plugs new
Fuel pump checked out (pending...)
Computer reflashed at dodge dealership (did not resolve my issue/ but recommend other try it)
Crank sensor replaced
Air filter
PCV - hose

My car has no codes, and when it runs it runs smooth and good. Only the mpg and the start up issues point to anything being wrong.

Its weird because I never had this issue in the winter until things started warming up above freezing again. Around march is when I had problems we had a few days of about 40-50 degree weather.
jjohn320 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Fan
 
jjohn320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Stevens Point and Grantsburg WI
Posts: 242
Feedback: 1 / 100%
 
Just recieved the results from 8 hour fuel pump test something like 48psi to a drop of 18 or a drop of 18 psi over 8 hours...Im not sure couldnt really hear the guy.

Im not sure how this test will help if the problem is shutting it off.
Should they test the pressure after warming the vehicle up and then shutting it off?
jjohn320 is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 08:57 PM
I hit shit with sticks!


 
Daytrepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Zebulon, NC
Posts: 37,145
Feedback: 21 / 100%
                     
Garage
This can be various things John.

I have replaced a couple PCM's in the past to cure this issue. I had the same issue with my car with the old wiring, and the pcm reflash cured it for about 6-8 months, then the pcm had to be replaced. It never did it after that. There were a few other 98-99 cars that I ran into this issue on, and one also needed a new PCM. It seemed to be a software problem; the computer was not compensating for the hot engine basically.

Camshaft sensor will cause this. Auto shutdown relay will cause this. Vapor lock will cause this (fuel boiling in hot fuel rail causing vapor lock-- computer reflash is supposed to compensate for that).

It sounds like your fuel pump is ok...possibly could have a leaky injector (which would dump gas into the intake after shut off, essentially semi-flooding that cylinder). I would see if you or your mechanic can replicate the problem, and at the time it is doing it then do the diagnostic tests, and hopefully something will come about at that point.


1998 Dodge Intrepid
President; Danbo's Truck & Diesel, Inc
Director of Speeding; Chornay Boomers of Youngsville, GmbH
President, Rush Drumming Ventures, LTD;

Last edited by Daytrepper; 08-05-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Daytrepper is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Fan
 
jjohn320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Stevens Point and Grantsburg WI
Posts: 242
Feedback: 1 / 100%
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytrepper View Post
This can be various things John.

I have replaced a couple PCM's in the past to cure this issue. I had the same issue with my car with the old wiring, and the pcm reflash cured it for about 6-8 months, then the pcm had to be replaced. It never did it after that. There were a few other 98-99 cars that I ran into this issue on, and one also needed a new PCM. It seemed to be a software problem; the computer was not compensating for the hot engine basically.

Camshaft sensor will cause this. Auto shutdown relay will cause this. Vapor lock will cause this (fuel boiling in hot fuel rail causing vapor lock-- computer reflash is supposed to compensate for that).

It sounds like your fuel pump is ok...possibly could have a leaky injector (which would dump gas into the intake after shut off, essentially semi-flooding that cylinder). I would see if you or your mechanic can replicate the problem, and at the time it is doing it then do the diagnostic tests, and hopefully something will come about at that point.
We tried to replace the PCM but we couldnt get the computers to comunicate? I dunno thats what they told me after trying 2 3.2l computers they couldnt get it to work, they finally brought it to a dealer and had them reflash it. Ive tried to get it to act up for them but it doesnt...then everytime I go to the store it happens to me when im alone. lol. Im debating just driving it as is keep modding and see if it throws any codes someday.
jjohn320 is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 09:10 PM
I hit shit with sticks!


 
Daytrepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Zebulon, NC
Posts: 37,145
Feedback: 21 / 100%
                     
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjohn320 View Post
We tried to replace the PCM but we couldnt get the computers to comunicate? I dunno thats what they told me after trying 2 3.2l computers they couldnt get it to work, they finally brought it to a dealer and had them reflash it. Ive tried to get it to act up for them but it doesnt...then everytime I go to the store it happens to me when im alone. lol. Im debating just driving it as is keep modding and see if it throws any codes someday.
In order for a used computer to work, the SKIM pin has to be entered into the used computer your installing with a DRB III. That pin number is available from your car's vin # at the dealership.
Daytrepper is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Fan
 
jjohn320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Stevens Point and Grantsburg WI
Posts: 242
Feedback: 1 / 100%
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytrepper View Post
In order for a used computer to work, the SKIM pin has to be entered into the used computer your installing with a DRB III. That pin number is available from your car's vin # at the dealership.
If they reflashed the computer though should it be fixed or not if the computer is no good already? Do they need the vin from the car the engine came from?
jjohn320 is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 09:26 PM
I hit shit with sticks!


 
Daytrepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Zebulon, NC
Posts: 37,145
Feedback: 21 / 100%
                     
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjohn320 View Post
If they reflashed the computer though should it be fixed or not if the computer is no good already? Do they need the vin from the car the engine came from?
Hard to say, depending on the condition of your PCM and if they re-flashed per the TSB on this issue.

The only vin they will need is the one from your car.
Daytrepper is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Fan
 
jjohn320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Stevens Point and Grantsburg WI
Posts: 242
Feedback: 1 / 100%
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytrepper View Post
Hard to say, depending on the condition of your PCM and if they re-flashed per the TSB on this issue.

The only vin they will need is the one from your car.
alright. Is it a special reflash they had to do? I gave my mechanic the TSB but I dunno if he gave it to them? they should know shouldnt they...they still have the 3.2 computer I could have them try to have that skimmed if they cant figure it out.
jjohn320 is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 10:08 PM
I hit shit with sticks!


 
Daytrepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Zebulon, NC
Posts: 37,145
Feedback: 21 / 100%
                     
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjohn320 View Post
alright. Is it a special reflash they had to do? I gave my mechanic the TSB but I dunno if he gave it to them? they should know shouldnt they...they still have the 3.2 computer I could have them try to have that skimmed if they cant figure it out.
Its just per the software update it lists on the TSB. Shouldnt be anything special.

Hopefully they didnt lock the 3.2 computer by trying to start it too many times...not sure if you can still enter the SKIM and have it start if that happens.
Daytrepper is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Fan
 
jjohn320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Stevens Point and Grantsburg WI
Posts: 242
Feedback: 1 / 100%
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytrepper View Post
Its just per the software update it lists on the TSB. Shouldnt be anything special.

Hopefully they didnt lock the 3.2 computer by trying to start it too many times...not sure if you can still enter the SKIM and have it start if that happens.
yea Im not sure what to do. they DID reflash it so if its still acting up you would think it wasnt the computer...but who knows I guess Ill find out more tomorrow. Maybe ill hav ethem look at the injectors and such
jjohn320 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome