3.5L 42LE Transmission - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Fan
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Nova Scotia Canada
Posts: 109
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
3.5L 42LE Transmission

Hi

I have a 3.5L 2003 Intrepid and unfortunately the transmission is in the process of dying on me. I found someone local selling a couple of transmissions a 2000 with 100k miles on it and another, off a '99 car he drove for 18 months with 135k miles on it.

The Hayes manual says all Intrepid transmissions are the same, but I'm told the attaching positions are different on 2.7, 3.2 and 3.5 Intrepids and I've seen a link on the internet saying


"Because the superior torque output of the 3.5-liter engine on LH was beyond the 4ITEs design parameters, a stronger final drive unit was required. This was probably very good for the LH's reputation.

We put a lot of effort into that, recalled Howard B. Padgham, powertrain engineer, who also noted that the 42LEs significant center-section component detail refinements were designed to cope with the added torque, including upgraded clutch packs and barreled axle shafts. The solenoid pack for the 42LE also is integrated into the transaxle for quieter operation.

In the final drive unit, a hypoid ring and pinion gear set delivers drive to the differential and from there to the drive axles, Precise adjustment of the hypoid gears to assure quiet operation is automated."

Does anyone know what the situation is here? Currently I'm driving with 3 gears in a dying car and on balance I'd rather fit a 2.7 transmission and take it easy with my right foot than have a dead car if that isn't completely impossible or just a stupid idea.. Also, there aren't so many 3.5's around so I might have a long wait in finding one. I'm in NS in Canada

Thanks

Pavesa
Pavesa is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 06:08 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
YesImLDS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 2,757
Feedback: 1 / 100%
           
They are all the same except for the 2.7l has 3.89 gears instead of 3.66 and the 3.2 and 3.5 are made off of the same block just different size cylinders
YesImLDS is offline  
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 06:19 PM
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!

 
cdmccul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Garrison, ND
Posts: 15,449
Feedback: 18 / 100%
                     
^^ x2 - ALL the same transmissions.

The difference they are talking about I'm sure is the move into the LX chassis, and talking about what WAS on the LH.

In fact, it is basically the same transmission as the earlier year (1993-1997) Intrepids with either engine - just a few wiring differences and two holes are slightly changed - and the rear cover for the trans mount is different...

If you get lucky, and find a 2.7 trans, you'll have a more responcive and zippier car - your speedo will be slighty off though.
cdmccul is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Fan
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Nova Scotia Canada
Posts: 109
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
Hi YesImLDS

Thanks very much for the information. The 2.7l has 3.89 gears instead of 3.66 is that referring to the gear ratios? Does it matter so far as putting a 2.7 into a 3.5? Sorry to be rather ignorant on all this.. Also, I was wondering for thoughts on which might be better to buy. 100K miles vs 135K miles that the guy selling it says he has driven for over a years. I'm tempted by the latter. Could be either though I guess. Is there anything that would be a good idea to check for on them when I go and take a look? I'm talking to a guy who seems to have parted out some intrepids over the years, partly for himself I think, and is clearing stuff out from his workshop. He's looking for a reasonable offer. Anyone have any thoughts on what would be a reasonable offer for a transmission? I want to be fair and also not rile him with a lowball offer as there aren't many of these about in rural NS!

Thanks for the help

Andrew
Pavesa is offline  
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 06:26 PM
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!

 
cdmccul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Garrison, ND
Posts: 15,449
Feedback: 18 / 100%
                     
I would say either trans is as good as the other... I'd be partial to the one behind the 2.7, but that is only for the gears. Otherwise, the one with lower miles is what I'd go with if they were both pulled about the same time ago.
cdmccul is offline  
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Fan
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Nova Scotia Canada
Posts: 109
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
Hi cdmccul

thanks very much for the advice. I really appreciate it. I guess the more recently pulled the better.

Andrew
Pavesa is offline  
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Fan
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Nova Scotia Canada
Posts: 109
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
Hi

does anyone have any thoughts on a reasonable offer? I have pretty much no idea what would be sensible.

Thanks

Andrew
Pavesa is offline  
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 11:13 PM
I hit shit with sticks!


 
Daytrepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Zebulon, NC
Posts: 37,146
Feedback: 21 / 100%
                     
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YesImLDS View Post
They are all the same except for the 2.7l has 3.89 gears instead of 3.66 and the 3.2 and 3.5 are made off of the same block just different size cylinders
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmccul View Post
^^ x2 - ALL the same transmissions.

The difference they are talking about I'm sure is the move into the LX chassis, and talking about what WAS on the LH.

In fact, it is basically the same transmission as the earlier year (1993-1997) Intrepids with either engine - just a few wiring differences and two holes are slightly changed - and the rear cover for the trans mount is different...

If you get lucky, and find a 2.7 trans, you'll have a more responcive and zippier car - your speedo will be slighty off though.
Except for the wiring, starting in 2002. If he is going to use a 2000 transmission in his 2003, he'll have to swap over the transmission harness from his to the 2000 trans. If he gets an 02+ trans, he's good to go. All engines are the same except the gear ratios as mentioned.

There were more solenoid pack issues 2002+ than before, so a 98-01 is the most reliable transmission, IMO, but low milers are getting scarce. I have never seen anything other than input/output sensors go on a 98-01 tranny, whereas 02+ is a solenoid pack replacement eventually. Less reliable.

Shop around, these trannies can be had cheap. I have gotten them as low as 900 miles for $300-$400....


1998 Dodge Intrepid
President; Danbo's Truck & Diesel, Inc
Director of Speeding; Chornay Boomers of Youngsville, GmbH
President, Rush Drumming Ventures, LTD;

Last edited by Daytrepper; 11-26-2012 at 11:16 PM.
Daytrepper is online now  
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 11:15 PM
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!

 
cdmccul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Garrison, ND
Posts: 15,449
Feedback: 18 / 100%
                     
Offer of what to pay for it?

They go for another from 100 to 500 here. I'd offer maybe 200, and go from there. If you feel ballsy, you could try starting at 100. All it will do is go up in price as you negotiate.
cdmccul is offline  
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 11:22 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
Scooter-Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Va Beach, VA
Posts: 14,525
Feedback: 6 / 100%
                     
As Daytrepper said, the 2002+ are starting to show more selonid issues. Consider geting the older tranny and swap the harness. I did not know about the harness requirement.
Scooter-Man is offline  
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 11:25 PM
I hit shit with sticks!


 
Daytrepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Zebulon, NC
Posts: 37,146
Feedback: 21 / 100%
                     
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter-Man View Post
As Daytrepper said, the 2002+ are starting to show more selonid issues. Consider geting the older tranny and swap the harness. I did not know about the harness requirement.
The harnesses are the same except for the ground circuit for the 02 sensors. There is a ground splice in the 2002+ that is not there in 98-01 (its in the front body harness 98-01)....so if you dont install the newer harness on your car, you will lose the ground splice, and get all kinds of 02 sensor codes, bad gas mileage, angry car..... Ask me how I know.

Also, you cannot use a 1998 transmission on 2002+ models. The 1998 has its own harness. It will adapt to other 98-01 models, but 02+, it will be missing the ground splice, and the newer harness cannot be used on it, due to a different solenoid pack plug...specific to earlier 98 models.


1998 Dodge Intrepid
President; Danbo's Truck & Diesel, Inc
Director of Speeding; Chornay Boomers of Youngsville, GmbH
President, Rush Drumming Ventures, LTD;

Last edited by Daytrepper; 11-26-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Daytrepper is online now  
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 11:25 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
YesImLDS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 2,757
Feedback: 1 / 100%
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavesa View Post
Hi YesImLDS

Thanks very much for the information. The 2.7l has 3.89 gears instead of 3.66 is that referring to the gear ratios? Does it matter so far as putting a 2.7 into a 3.5? Sorry to be rather ignorant on all this.. Also, I was wondering for thoughts on which might be better to buy. 100K miles vs 135K miles that the guy selling it says he has driven for over a years. I'm tempted by the latter. Could be either though I guess. Is there anything that would be a good idea to check for on them when I go and take a look? I'm talking to a guy who seems to have parted out some intrepids over the years, partly for himself I think, and is clearing stuff out from his workshop. He's looking for a reasonable offer. Anyone have any thoughts on what would be a reasonable offer for a transmission? I want to be fair and also not rile him with a lowball offer as there aren't many of these about in rural NS!

Thanks for the help

Andrew
From not having those gears all I can say goes off what I have read. People say the car wants to "go" easier. Also I have read like a 1mpg difference between the two.
YesImLDS is offline  
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Fan
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Nova Scotia Canada
Posts: 109
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
Hi

thanks all for all the information and particularly the harness info. I'll see if he has the harness to go with it. I think he will because he has 2 complete cars in pieces. Maybe I'll go for $150 and see how it goes.. Any thoughts on what to look for when I go see him? Turn stuff and it grinds to be avoided etc? Check for burnt trans fluid?

Cheers

Andrew
Pavesa is offline  
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 11:56 PM
I hit shit with sticks!


 
Daytrepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Zebulon, NC
Posts: 37,146
Feedback: 21 / 100%
                     
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavesa View Post
Hi

thanks all for all the information and particularly the harness info. I'll see if he has the harness to go with it. I think he will because he has 2 complete cars in pieces. Maybe I'll go for $150 and see how it goes.. Any thoughts on what to look for when I go see him? Turn stuff and it grinds to be avoided etc? Check for burnt trans fluid?

Cheers

Andrew
If his is a 2000, you need to use your original 2003 harness on it.

Look for burnt fluid, oil leaks, basically. Best thing to do is drop the pan, see if there are any abnormal metal chunks in it.
Daytrepper is online now  
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 12:05 AM
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!

 
cdmccul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Garrison, ND
Posts: 15,449
Feedback: 18 / 100%
                     
ALSO - when you go to install it in your car, fully service it - meaning drop the pan (if you didn't already before buying), and install a new filter. Pull the TC off and empty it as best as possible (be mindful of installing the TC - it has to go past three indexing points, not just two, when re-installing!). Lastly, but just as important, while it is off the car, drop the differential fluid and re-fill with a good high grade gear lube (not sure what is spec'd, but I'd use a high end marine fluid or the full synthetic stuff Ford wants.
cdmccul is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome