OK, let me see if I can word this to be understandable.
I wiried up my amp and sub a few months ago to my battery through the positive jump start post and not directly to the battery terminal. I noticed that once in a while starting my car seeming to take of few more 'clicks' of electric to turn over the enigine.
Today, I got a repitition of clicks, then nothing, juiced the battery. Jumped it within a minute had it started back up.
Took a look at the power cables and much to my amazment, the wire inside was burned about the first 1-2" from the connector. I have the wires wrapped together in one of those plastic protective housings all the way to the fire wall. This however was also melted down to the rubberized coating of the power cables.
So, not sure on how these got this way without blowing either of the fuses in the line, I took both cables off the post, and once again I am without speakers.
Would these burned wires have created my vehicle startup problems, such as poor startups, dead battery, and even melting the plastic and frying the wires inside?
I am assuming I made a poor decision in trying to run my cables to the jump start post and rather should have gone directly to the battery. Call me a lazy ass I suppose. Extra effort to get to the actual battery.
Should I be cautious of anything else when I re-wire to the battery in the fender well? I will need to try and find new clamps, clasps, or rings to attach them to the terminal, the current wire tips are well beyond fried.
I just don't want to get stranded again begging for someone to jump me. The battery is less than a year old and is a DieHard Gold series, I am confident that is not the issue. I am thinking it must have had something to do with pulling all that power for the amp and sub through the jump start post and not the battery itself.
Any feedback is appreciated, i'd like to get my toons back without having to worry about catching my ride on fire or something!