Mopar or No Car
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: KCMo . . . . . . The City of Fountains
I've copied a list from a Muscle Car magazine years ago (some of these may need modification for a modern car). Here you go ...
Be sure to make a list of all the things you've done for storage so you can "undo" them when you bring it out of storage
Store indoors - cool, dark, dry - no freezing temperatures - uncovered (unless it's stored in a traffic area)
Use a gasoline stabilizing product (Stabl) in the gas tank and be sure to run the engine a after that to get the mixture into the lines
1. Change oil & filter
2. Pull the plugs and put 1 teaspoon of engine oil per cylinder then replace the plugs
3. Engine openings (TB/intake tube, oil breather cap, etc.) should be packed w/absorbent cloth - cotton towels are best. Do this while the engine is still warm.
4. Pack exhaust pipes as in 3 above - but not until cool.
5. Ideally, start engine once or twice a year for 30 min.
Longer term (or no engine starting):
6. Release tension on all drive belts
7. Change tranny oil & filter (if not w/in 30K of last change)
8. Radiator coolant left in system unless you have aluminum parts then NO coolant (If more than 2 years old, replace coolant before storage).
9. Brake system should have new fluid if more than 30K.
10. Put up on jack stands
11. Remove tires and store on side with reduced air pressure (if tires not removed - add pressure)
12. Wash & wax body
13. Silicone preservative on all door gaskets and other rubber parts
14. Use vinyl protectant on all interior, vinyl parts
15. Put your storage check-list in the car for safekeeping
Last edited by D76G12; 10-30-2004 at 10:38 AM.