lousy dealer for warranty repairs - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 166
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Angry lousy dealer for warranty repairs

Back in the late 1960's, my mother had bought a brand new Dodge Monaco station wagon from Boulevard Dodge Chrysler in Montreal where we lived. After a shade over one year, the car had starting problems. She called the dealer who towed her car to the dealership and it was determined it was a faulty battery. When she got there to get her car back, they asked her to pay somewhere around a 100$, which in todays value would be about 400-500$. She argued the car was nearly new with around 6,000 miles. They said the warranty was over by two weeks and she had to pay that amount or they would not give her keys back. She was outraged! She went to see her salesman who said he could not do anything as the sales and service departments were two separate entities.

In August, I was shopping for my trep STX and found a used 2004 at Autoland in Niagara Falls, Ontario, with 16,250km (about 10,000 miles). Before closing the deal, I called Daimler-Chrysler with the VIN to ensure the manufacturer would stand by the warranty and was told the car had been put on the road December 23rd 2003 and that the standard warranty would apply concerning the mileage and time. When I got to the dealer, he assured me everything was covered except for the brakes, particularly if the car had under 20,000km (about 15,000 miles) and that the car had not been involved in a major accident leading to a writeoff. The car had been at Budget rentacar in Toronto and had been owned by the Chrysler finance branch. Reassured, I bought it.

After getting in Montreal, I noticed the fog lights had lots of water condensation in them and were not working properly. I found out Boulevard Dodge Chrysler was the nearest dealership and had changed hands since my mother's dealing. It also carried a 5 star rating. I went there after getting an appointment and they made three holes in the fog casings and waited about 2.5 hours for them to service my car. A few days later, I noticed my fog lights did not light up at all. I took another appointment, figuring they would get my fog lights working properly under warranty.

After waiting 2 hours, they told me the fuse had blown and blew again after fuse replacement and needed to get their expert electrician on the case. An hour later, they told me they could not do the job under warranty because the discovered some silver paint fumes on the fog lights' wiring and therefore the car was not as it came out of the factory and that possibly some body work had been done and they claimed they could not be held responsible for the fog lights not working anymore. They said if I wanted to get the job finished, it would be on my dime or to call the dealer who sold me the car to foot the bill. I was shown the invoice which amounted to a little over 100$CDN. I followed my service rep who was searching for my car and left without paying. When I got home, there was a message on my answering machine asking me to go back to pay the bill...

I was pondering the situation where I had spent 6 hours in the service area, having to pay over 100$ for fog lights that still were not working and that I had expected to be covered by the warranty and was annoyed... I called up a long time friend who used to work as a GM claim rep for GM to get his opinion. He said the fog lights were working before they drilled the holes? They were not working after their work, it's their responsibility. You can even get the job done elsewhere and charge them for it after allowing them the opportunity to repair them. They never advised me, when the fog light drilling job was done, that the wiring paint fumes would nullify any further fog light work even though it was surely seen then. I called them back telling them I did not expect to pay for their bill and to get the job done right under warranty. I was transferred to the service manager who started moralising me for having left without paying the bill and that she had started the procedure to nullify whatever warranty I had on the car. Boy was I ever fuming! I ended calling the dealer who sold me the car and he has it up with Daimler-Chrysler. I'll probably have the end of the story in a few days.

While I may have considered modding my trep, I am unsure as that may be used as the slight excuse to say the car is not in its original condition and therefore the warranty is not valid anymore.

As far as I know, some paint fumes on a wire do not prevent the electricity from running within the wire! So, if you are in Montreal and need some service work to be done on your car, keep clear of Boulevard Dodge Chrysler...
Gilbert is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 12:30 AM
Intrepid Modder
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 299
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Paint fumes on the wires? Must be some strong smellin' fumes. I assume you mean paint overspray on the wires. Anyway, good luck on the repairs. I'd be hounding the selling dealer demanding an explanation. I woundn't be authorizing any "holes being drilled" either. Sounds like a bogus attempt at a repair. They should have replaced the fog lights.
OneFore9 is offline  
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 01:08 AM
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 31
Feedback: 0 / 0%
             
i too had a less than wonderful experience from that same lovely(b****) with my 2000 trep. they didnt pay the first day of a three day rental included with my gold plus warrnaty..and told me my engine is not covered, because my oil change receipts dont bear my cars serial# or plate #. i now have a trep, which might be selfdestructing, and a useless warranty...welcome to the new Daimler/Chrysler
chuckchef is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 01:40 AM
Intrepid Pro
 
CaptainMorgan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Westerville, Ohio
Posts: 6,239
Feedback: 1 / 100%
                     
Drilling holes? I hope they do realize you can unscrew the housing and dry it out. On top of that its pretty hard to fuck up a foglight, with the exception of maybe breaking the bulb. Honestly though save warranty work for large costly items, fix whatever you can yourself.
CaptainMorgan is offline  
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 02:14 AM
Intrepid Pro
 
sc.intrepid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 4,600
Feedback: 5 / 100%
                     
It seems it's always a fight with a dealer doesn't it.

I guess I have a cheery note to add.
I just had my dealer(5 star) replace my fog light assemblies after the heat or something from the Silverstars I installed hazed the reflector surfaces. No arguement from the dealer, although I did leave out the fact that I had put aftermarket bulbs in them. They fit me in today(day before Thanksgiving) during their booked schedule and got me back out in less than 30 minutes. Their front man, I think we call them service advisors, seems to be a good guy.

I think I have 5 either Dodge or Chrysler dealers in my area. About 2, 15, 20 and 25 minutes away. I think all are "5 Star". So I have plenty of alternative dealers to go to if one or the other doesn't see things my way.

BTW Gilbert - Sorry Boulevard D-C is being such an ass

Try Mozilla Firefox with adblock plus for a more ad-free experience
sc.intrepid is offline  
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 166
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFore9
Paint fumes on the wires? Must be some strong smellin' fumes. I assume you mean paint overspray on the wires. Anyway, good luck on the repairs. I'd be hounding the selling dealer demanding an explanation. I woundn't be authorizing any "holes being drilled" either. Sounds like a bogus attempt at a repair. They should have replaced the fog lights.
Paint overspray it is supposed to be like some haze.

As for the drilling holes for the fog lights, another dealer told me it was what DC recommended and would not pay for new casings. That may be only true for Canada though...
Gilbert is offline  
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 166
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckchef
i too had a less than wonderful experience from that same lovely(b****) with my 2000 trep. they didnt pay the first day of a three day rental included with my gold plus warrnaty..and told me my engine is not covered, because my oil change receipts dont bear my cars serial# or plate #. i now have a trep, which might be selfdestructing, and a useless warranty...welcome to the new Daimler/Chrysler
Thanks for the warning. I have yet to get my first oil change but am due within a week and will now make sure my oil chage bill gets the car id.

My wife got her used Taurus SE 1999, in the Spring of 2002 with 27,000km from Dupuis Ford located in Casselman, Ontario, close to Ottawa. She has had *excellent* service from them. A bit far from Montreal but a real nice experience to deal with them. They know how to make the customer feel good when dealing with them.

The last time I was there, her radio had intermittent problems. I got her car there and waited for the repair to be done. They offered me a courtesy car at no cost whatsoever to go exploring the area. Even suggesting I go to St-Albert to go try their local cheese. Ever since, when going to Ottawa, I stop by St-Albert to get their famous cheese... Dupuis Ford had to get the radio fixed elsewhere, they installed another radio in the car in the meantime then had one of their man drive down to Montreal to install it. Casselman is about 85 miles from Montreal but can recommend them without any hesitation. My wife calls them up for advise for repairs to be done locally and they have always been available and took time to explain whatever needed to be explained with the calls done on their dime! They'll go out of their way to insure you are fully satisfied. As for their hourly rate, they are below what one can find locally but somewhat in the country. They are also well equipped and you can expect your car coming out of there washed even if you get out of there with a no charge.
Gilbert is offline  
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 166
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMorgan
Drilling holes? I hope they do realize you can unscrew the housing and dry it out. On top of that its pretty hard to fuck up a foglight, with the exception of maybe breaking the bulb. Honestly though save warranty work for large costly items, fix whatever you can yourself.
I'll heed your advise. It's just that I expected to have the "right" treatment under warranty as one should expect. I guess I'm still very naive even though some of you might consider me an old man.
Gilbert is offline  
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 166
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04IntrepidSXT
It seems it's always a fight with a dealer doesn't it.

I guess I have a cheery note to add.
I just had my dealer(5 star) replace my fog light assemblies after the heat or something from the Silverstars I installed hazed the reflector surfaces. No arguement from the dealer, although I did leave out the fact that I had put aftermarket bulbs in them. They fit me in today(day before Thanksgiving) during their booked schedule and got me back out in less than 30 minutes. Their front man, I think we call them service advisors, seems to be a good guy.

I think I have 5 either Dodge or Chrysler dealers in my area. About 2, 15, 20 and 25 minutes away. I think all are "5 Star". So I have plenty of alternative dealers to go to if one or the other doesn't see things my way.

BTW Gilbert - Sorry Boulevard D-C is being such an ass
My first brand new car was a 1970 Dodge Dart Swinger 340 which I had bought from a friend who worked at Boulevard Dodge at the time. I never needed any warranty repair work on it. Of course the warranties in those days were standard at one year. I also had another Chrysler product: Chrysler New Yorker Brougham 1976 that I bought used when two year old but never went to any dealer with it. My previous warranty repair was on my 1989 Taurus SHO with a rear window defroster wire problem. (Just sold it yesterday with 69,000 miles on it.)

There are other dealers in the area but don't have any recommandations from people yet. I went to Pie IX Chrysler for standard lug nuts for my steel winter rims but balked at their 5.50$CDN each price and got them at 1.95$ at a tire shop nearby. I also inquired about my missing mag wheel center cap (std mag rims of the SXT) and was quoted 26.80$ for this chromed plastic cap. Geez talk about robbery!

Last edited by Gilbert; 11-25-2004 at 03:35 AM.
Gilbert is offline  
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 03:45 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,621
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
At the shop you wouldn't believe the amount of cars we get from rental companies. They just want the car scuffed and sprayed so that it appears new! A lot of time rental cars get scratches from people traveling and hard use due to the fact that it's not their car. So when the "quick" spray is done, the car is masked off, wet sanded, cleaned, resprayed, and then buffed. So the paints overspray travels to the undercarrige and bonds onto whatever it can. Thats probably what happened in your case.

I have seen electronics stop working due to paint overspray or fumes. We have had door panels off and the power windows not work after paint. We noticed that the prep guy was slippin' on his job by not masking them off fully! So that also could have played some wierd part in it.

But still, to void a warranty because it has some overspray on the wires is a little strong, but they do have a concrete reason. They don't know if you wrecked it then had it fixed and want free labor on the lights, ya' know? So don't necessarily blame them because they are doing what they were taught. Just my opinion, lol!
unkut2003 is offline  
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 166
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by unkut2003
At the shop you wouldn't believe the amount of cars we get from rental companies. They just want the car scuffed and sprayed so that it appears new! A lot of time rental cars get scratches from people traveling and hard use due to the fact that it's not their car. So when the "quick" spray is done, the car is masked off, wet sanded, cleaned, resprayed, and then buffed. So the paints overspray travels to the undercarrige and bonds onto whatever it can. Thats probably what happened in your case.

I have seen electronics stop working due to paint overspray or fumes. We have had door panels off and the power windows not work after paint. We noticed that the prep guy was slippin' on his job by not masking them off fully! So that also could have played some wierd part in it.

But still, to void a warranty because it has some overspray on the wires is a little strong, but they do have a concrete reason. They don't know if you wrecked it then had it fixed and want free labor on the lights, ya' know? So don't necessarily blame them because they are doing what they were taught. Just my opinion, lol!
I bought the car used when it had 10,000 miles on it (16,250km). Chrysler finance was the original owner and Budget was the leaser in Toronto whom, I've been told, is owned by DC. It was then auctioned to Chrysler dealers and I bought it August 5th from a Niagara Falls Chrysler dealer (AutoLand). As for me, I've not had any accident with it since owning it and drove 2300 miles since getting it. So why can't DC, who owned and maintained the car can't stand behind its warranty?

When you say: "I have seen electronics stop working due to paint overspray or fumes.", I can see that if the motor or mechanical parts that would be oversprayed not working properly or a terminal being sprayed not making contact anymore but the wires are sheathed and don't see how their electrical specs would be affected by paint.

The other point may be philosophical but, if the manufacturer gives its customers too much of a hassle for the warranty, the customer will eventually walk away. The old saying tht the customer is always right is true in more ways than one unless one has a monopoly. Boulevard Dodge has succeeded to turn me into an ennemy who will take every opportunity to warn potential or existing customers about them. I'll make damn sure that whatever profit they tried to "steal" from me they will lose tenfold. I consider what they are doing to be similar to extortion and have contempt for people or businesses that do business this way.

Last edited by Gilbert; 11-25-2004 at 02:30 PM.
Gilbert is offline  
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 05:49 AM
Intrepid Pro
 
dakotaquadsport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,994
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbert
I bought the car used when it had 10,000 miles on it (16,250km). Chrysler finance was the original owner and Budget was the leaser in Toronto whom, I've been told, is owned by DC. It was then auctioned to Chrysler dealers and I bought it August 5th from a Niagara Falls Chrysler dealer (AutoLand). As for me, I've not had any accident with it since owning it and drove 2300 miles since getting it. So why can't DC, who owned and maintained the car can't stand behind its warranty?

The other point may be philosophical but, if the manufacturer gives its customers too much of a hassle for the warranty, the customer will eventually walk away. The old saying tht the customer is always right is true in more ways than one unless one has a monopoly. Boulevard Dodge has succeeded to turn me into an ennemy who will take every opportunity to warn potential or existing customers about them. I'll make damn sure that whatever profit they tried to "steal" from me they will lose tenfold. I consider what they are doing to be similar to extortion and have contempt for people or businesses that do business this way.
Most likely the dealer who you are dealing with doesn't have a clue about why there is overspray underneath the car. Most likely the bumper was repainted to cover up rockchips and such with it being a former rental, and that dealer probably doesn't even know it. I've personally delt with 2 different Dodge dealerships so far and they have both been great to myself and my Mom, or local Ford dealer on the other hand can go suck an egg for all I care, very shitty service, and tried to give us the car back with oil leaking even worse out of it.


2006 Dakota SLT. 4.7L 4x2 3.92 LSD
04 Neon SXT <--Go Kart
08 Avenger SXT 2.7 MyGig, Sunroof, 18"s
Past: 93 Intrepid ES 3.5, Water Blue
99 Neon Highline
dakotaquadsport is offline  
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 11:54 AM
Intrepid Pro
 
adaptabl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Posts: 2,369
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Don't blame the dealer. Thats DC cost cutting. They denny any warranty claim they can to cut warranty cost. Why do you think warranty cost of gone down. Not because of better quality but because they pay for fewer things.
adaptabl is offline  
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 01:01 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,083
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
I won't compare Dodge service to Infiniti because I paid a premium for the better service, but before my Dodge Intrepid I had a Ford Probe. Ford service was much better than Dodge. I tried a number of different dealers and they were all bad.
alderran is offline  
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 166
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaptabl
Don't blame the dealer. Thats DC cost cutting. They denny any warranty claim they can to cut warranty cost. Why do you think warranty cost of gone down. Not because of better quality but because they pay for fewer things.
I thought (not sure of the name) J.D. Power & Associates claimed the Concorde had a user satisfaction level that was much higher than other US manufacturers and that, since built at the same plant of Brampton, ON, one could assume other LH based cars would be similarly built... It was a survey that inquired about repairs that had to be done within the first three years or something of that nature. I read that sometime in July but did not keep the reference but was something that had some weight in trying to determine what car I would choose.
Gilbert is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will a VIN # get me past dealer repair info? Drydocked General Discussion 2 12-28-2003 03:21 AM
Ford Dealer OWNED DMAG General Discussion, other Mopar Vehicles 24 12-06-2003 01:40 PM
Logged Repairs? kirrer General Discussion (First Generation) 3 07-11-2003 11:29 AM
95' LHS Has Dealer Guessing jayfish General Discussion (First Generation) 17 02-07-2003 12:28 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome