Paint and body question(s)... - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 24
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
Paint and body question(s)...

I am gonna kill two birds with one stone in this posting...

First...I am going to help a buddy replace a front fender on an 01 Sable....He got the panel from FLM primed and ready to paint...
WHAT SHOULD THAT COST? I am

Next...I have managed to wrinkle my right rear quarter at the top of the wheelwell...(pic will be here tomorrow...too dark outside now...) Can this be fixed via "paintless" or am I going to have to learn to do more body repair?

Thanks all
wineguydfw is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 01:52 AM
Intrepid Pro
 
LOUD02Special's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Smithfield, RI
Posts: 6,100
Feedback: 2 / 100%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by wineguydfw
I am gonna kill two birds with one stone in this posting...

First...I am going to help a buddy replace a front fender on an 01 Sable....He got the panel from FLM primed and ready to paint...
WHAT SHOULD THAT COST? I am

Next...I have managed to wrinkle my right rear quarter at the top of the wheelwell...(pic will be here tomorrow...too dark outside now...) Can this be fixed via "paintless" or am I going to have to learn to do more body repair?

Thanks all
as long as the paint isn't damaged i bet paintless dent removal could fix your problem. As far as painting the fender, shouldn't cost more than $100 or so, if you're replacing the fender yourselves.
LOUD02Special is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 02:16 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,621
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by wineguydfw
I am gonna kill two birds with one stone in this posting...

First...I am going to help a buddy replace a front fender on an 01 Sable....He got the panel from FLM primed and ready to paint...
WHAT SHOULD THAT COST? I am

Next...I have managed to wrinkle my right rear quarter at the top of the wheelwell...(pic will be here tomorrow...too dark outside now...) Can this be fixed via "paintless" or am I going to have to learn to do more body repair?

Thanks all

For the first question, all shops vary on their prices. But I wouldn't pay anything over $100-$200 TOPS! Second question, if it is a wrinkle and I am picturing it in my mind correctly, bodywork will need to be done. Without a pic I would be wasting both of our time!
unkut2003 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 02:18 AM
Intrepid Pro
 
LOUD02Special's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Smithfield, RI
Posts: 6,100
Feedback: 2 / 100%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by unkut2003
For the first question, all shops vary on their prices. But I wouldn't pay anything over $100-$200 TOPS! Second question, if it is a wrinkle and I am picturing it in my mind correctly, bodywork will need to be done. Without a pic I would be wasting both of our time!

what he said. He's a body guy. i didn't exactly know what a wrinkle was
LOUD02Special is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 02:03 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 26
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
yeah, you say wrinkle I am assuming you mean a crease almost, no paintless removal of that. secondly why not put the fender on, take it to a shop and have them do a blend into the door so it doesnt look so crappy. Unless the color is black, then no blending is needed

Dan
superballs63 is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 24
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
Finally here is a pic

Sorry this took so long...I have some more pics to show different angles..but this one pretty much captures the "OOPS!"
I really appreciate everyone's input...Body work is the one area I haven't really tackled much...but am ready and willing to start trying....

https://www.dodgeintrepid.net/photopo...to.php?photo=9



I have put the link in because...I have no idea if I put the image in properly....

Regarding the Sable fender....If we put it on..so they can blend...Will it cost about the same as having it shot off the car?????

THANKS AGAIN >...Ever have a question regarding wine....Allow me the opportunity to pay ya back ....
wineguydfw is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 01:15 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 627
Feedback: 1 / 100%
                     
even with black paint you will need to blend,there is more than one shade of black paint.also the paintless dent removal is for simple dents that will pop right out,not wrinkles or waves if the metal is creased at all it wont work,it might pop out the dent but the creases will still be there and the paint more than likely will be cracked,what it prolly needs is to be straitened then repainted and blended :icon_lol:

Last edited by veks039; 12-07-2004 at 01:22 AM.
veks039 is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 01:34 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,621
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by veks039
even with black paint you will need to blend,there is more than one shade of black paint.also the paintless dent removal is for simple dents that will pop right out,not wrinkles or waves if the metal is creased at all it wont work,it might pop out the dent but the creases will still be there and the paint more than likely will be cracked,what it prolly needs is to be straitened then repainted and blended :icon_lol:

Just a trick of the trade... When blending, especially with lighter colors, you can add a hint of the color to the clear, making it blend more effectively! But with a crease, once removed, the paint will begin to crack and chip, so it needs to be repaired properly which will include some bodywork, then paint!
unkut2003 is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 24
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
I was afraid that a quick fix was not in my future for my Trep..
With the exception of the painting (since I have no booth to do it right)...
Can a novice reshape that portion with the proper tools? Or is Bondo(not my favorite idea) a better solution?

If I do this work myself and take it in to get painted....should I have them do the whole car? or can they really blend it that well as not to be noticed? If they can, I have a two deep scratches (one hood, one rear passenger door near c pillar) and a few nicks on the door. I was gonna do these with the Duplicolor pen when I did my deep winter detailing....But, if I am gonna hire it out, surely they wouldn't charge that much more to hit these places I mentioned.

On a side note....regarding the blending on my buddy's Sable fender...he doesn't care for his cars like I do and isn't bothered by mis-matched colors....

If the outlook on doing this myself and saving some $$ isn't good....(btw...I was "displaced" last month from my job...I guess "displaced" is the newest buzz word for "FIRED")...Then I maybe planning a trip to my buddy in Akron via TOLEDO to see a body and paint man that I hear is pretty good...( ....(I am serious too!)
wineguydfw is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 02:04 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,621
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by wineguydfw
I was afraid that a quick fix was not in my future for my Trep..
With the exception of the painting (since I have no booth to do it right)...
Can a novice reshape that portion with the proper tools? Or is Bondo(not my favorite idea) a better solution?

If I do this work myself and take it in to get painted....should I have them do the whole car? or can they really blend it that well as not to be noticed? If they can, I have a two deep scratches (one hood, one rear passenger door near c pillar) and a few nicks on the door. I was gonna do these with the Duplicolor pen when I did my deep winter detailing....But, if I am gonna hire it out, surely they wouldn't charge that much more to hit these places I mentioned.

On a side note....regarding the blending on my buddy's Sable fender...he doesn't care for his cars like I do and isn't bothered by mis-matched colors....

If the outlook on doing this myself and saving some $$ isn't good....(btw...I was "displaced" last month from my job...I guess "displaced" is the newest buzz word for "FIRED")...Then I maybe planning a trip to my buddy in Akron via TOLEDO to see a body and paint man that I hear is pretty good...( ....(I am serious too!)
Well here is my best advice:

If you are unexperienced and attempting to remove a crease, then go through the process to prep it for paint, you may as well paint it! Then if you can't paint, you definitely won't be able to blend, lol, so all time/effort/money will look like a piece of crap. If you are going to have someone paint it then I would have them do the work too. Because to be honest, it really isn't going to save you that much money anyways, then it's guaranteed! Also, if you are wanting chips, gouges, and scrapes fixed all over the car you may as well repaint the entire car because no decent shop is going to want to touch it for the money you are gonna want to pay!
unkut2003 is offline  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 24
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
Thanks Unkut...I presumed as much....Just trying to make a go of it myself (at least in theory) and get some use out of the great new air compressor my wife got me for our anniversary.
I love this car (even more now that I have found this site!, premier membership is coming soon, I promise!) So I will most likely choose to go with the complete paint job. I will just hold off on the leather seats and the 18" rims for the summer. This "oops" is really bugging me even though it won't be too noticable once I clean off the house paint and wax and buff it up good...
Now if I am going to do the complete repaint(probably staying with Bright Silver or perhaps Black)
I am toying with the idea of an ES front end and of course a spoiler and debadging the whole car. Should I pull the dulling black metal trim on pillars/doors and have them done in a gloss black?
Any other "mild" body mods recommend?
wineguydfw is offline  
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 24
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
Unkut...you have a PM
wineguydfw is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 04:05 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,621
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by wineguydfw
Unkut...you have a PM

PM Returned!
unkut2003 is offline  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 06:21 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 26
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by veks039
even with black paint you will need to blend,there is more than one shade of black paint.
No, that is not true. a straight black will be the same everytime, or if its not the EXACT same its close enough that noone will ever know. At my shop we paint BMW's, Mercedes, fords, toyotas, volvos whatever and as long as the car is straight black we use the same exact can of paint for them andhave never had ANY problems with customers saying they don't match
superballs63 is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 09:20 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,621
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by superballs63
No, that is not true. a straight black will be the same everytime, or if its not the EXACT same its close enough that noone will ever know. At my shop we paint BMW's, Mercedes, fords, toyotas, volvos whatever and as long as the car is straight black we use the same exact can of paint for them andhave never had ANY problems with customers saying they don't match
LOL, if you guys use "cans of paint" I wouldn't want my car serviced there! There are different brands of black paint. Thus the correct paint would need to be used to have a flawless job when complete.
unkut2003 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
paint questions Brians3000gt General Discussion 2 08-09-2004 01:34 AM
Car Detailing for Dummys 101, (really freakin long) whitey from chat Show and Shine 50 07-28-2004 05:32 PM
Auto Body Painting / Bondoing kirrer Whatever 8 04-05-2004 06:45 AM
Los Angeles area Paint & Body shop? badfish300m General Discussion 6 01-08-2004 03:27 PM
paint monkey-boy General Discussion 7 09-03-2002 12:01 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome