So Sunday I noticed that the car wasn't as smooth as usual when downshifting etc and before I knew it... *ding*... CEL was on. Motherf...
Checked for codes using the key cycling trick and got the 0700 general transmission error message. I knew already it was probably the speed sensors which blew (from reading threads about it here) and called the mechanic who was able to check the codes more thoroughly last night. Codes were: 0731, 0732, 0733 & 0734. We agreed that another mechanic who works freelance with my buddy but actually works for AAMCO would check it out this evening around 6pm. Oh well, what could I do?
So I went online again last night and found this excellent post by Ronbo:
I'll give you some of the info out of my 1999 Transmission Diagnostic manual. First off under the paragraph of Set Condition: Codes P0731, P0732, P0733, P0734 set if the ratio of the input RPM (Nt) to output RPM (No) does not match the given gear.
Under possible causes it talks mainly about making sure the electrical connections to the TCM are good and to also check the connections to the Input/Output Speed Sensors. Also states that a Low Battery voltage can cause this.
Was your speedometer working when this happened? Also is the Transmission Range Display(The gear indicator at the bottom of the tachometer) working correctly? As in when you are in Drive only the "D" is circled and not any others?
The sensors are relatively cheap at the dealer or can be ordered online from Moparsupercenter.com for about $15 each. They are accessable outside the transmission and are relatively easy to replace. A number of fault codes pop up because of the sensors.
I would also reset the TCM (Transmission Control Module) by removing the relay in the Power Distribution Center located in the engine compartment on the Drivers side. It's labeled TCM. Just unplug it for a few minutes and put it back in. Then drive it to see if the fault returns right away.
So I called the mechanic back and told him to go ahead and change the speed sensors after I would drop the car off this morning and if it didn't work, the other tranny mechanic could look closer at it (and charge more money!)
So the guy changed the input/output speed sensors and it worked! The car runs better than ever and he only charged me a total of $70 including labor!
Look no further than DI.net for the solution to your problem! Ronbo, you are the man and I'd rep you like a madman if I hadn't recently.
Btw, these are pics of the old sensors: