FINALLY figured out P0432!! - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 1,992
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
FINALLY figured out P0432!!

Yup, the 'Trep CEL came on Friday,as I was following some lost tourists
on a river road...At my next stop I checked the codes, and there it was, P0432!
Hadn't seen any codes for a long time,and I realized that this was the way
the ECU sees if you're paying attention, and you still know how to fix it!
Sort of a quiz, a system check of the operator.
Cleared the code, no more probs...
alarkyokie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 10:37 AM
I hit shit with sticks!


 
Daytrepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Zebulon, NC
Posts: 37,148
Feedback: 21 / 100%
                     
Garage
This is a catalyst efficiency code -- bank 2... It suggests catalytic converter problems... It will come back, give it about 100-200 miles.
Daytrepper is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 1,992
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Well, maybe...
It's been showing up, maybe this is third time since 3.2 upgrade...at least 10 or so 6k oil changes back since I saw it last.
What -you don't believe in higher 'trep intelligence?
alarkyokie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 12:41 PM
I hit shit with sticks!


 
Daytrepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Zebulon, NC
Posts: 37,148
Feedback: 21 / 100%
                     
Garage
The "higher intelligence" is supposta disappear in the first 100 miles after the swap.

Every time I see that code its a bad cat.
Daytrepper is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 1,992
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
"When Cats go bad..."
film at eleven!
alarkyokie is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 04:02 PM
I hit shit with sticks!


 
Daytrepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Zebulon, NC
Posts: 37,148
Feedback: 21 / 100%
                     
Garage
There ya go! Horror stories of cats going bad! Tonight on 60 minutes.....
Daytrepper is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 09:07 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 347
Feedback: 1 / 100%
                     
Welcome to the P0432 club! LOL
dafella is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 09:15 PM
I hit shit with sticks!


 
Daytrepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Zebulon, NC
Posts: 37,148
Feedback: 21 / 100%
                     
Garage
Just curious, did either of you have milky oil in your 2.7's, or were they smoking (blue or white thru exhaust) before they blew?
Daytrepper is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 09:34 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 347
Feedback: 1 / 100%
                     
Even though I went a teeeensy bit too long between oil changes, I never had sludge. Before the 2.7 died, it was using oil like crazy! I was adding oil like every couple of weeks! I had bluish white smoke from the exhaust when I accelerated fast & light white smoke while idling.
dafella is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 11:26 PM
I hit shit with sticks!


 
Daytrepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Zebulon, NC
Posts: 37,148
Feedback: 21 / 100%
                     
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dafella
Even though I went a teeeensy bit too long between oil changes, I never had sludge. Before the 2.7 died, it was using oil like crazy! I was adding oil like every couple of weeks! I had bluish white smoke from the exhaust when I accelerated fast & light white smoke while idling.

Theres the cause of your P0432. The converters in these cars are made of a crap wire mesh treated with the catalyst, rather than the ceramic-type converters that are used in many other vehicles. Our converters can barely stand any oil-burning, misfires, or antifreeze smoke. The catalyst in the crap wire mesh gets destroyed easily, and before you know it, "check engine", and P0432, P0431, or P0430. These converters do last for a while as long as they dont get contaminated by oil, antifreeze, etc. Most ceramic converters can stand that without loosing their catalyst.

P0432 and the other two codes are set when the pre and post cat O2 sensors detect no change (or not enough for the PCM) in the amount of oxygen entering and leaving the converter. O2 sensors should be checked before replacing cats anytime, but with these codes, its the cat 90% of the time. Bad O2's usually set their own specific codes.


1998 Dodge Intrepid
President; Danbo's Truck & Diesel, Inc
Director of Speeding; Chornay Boomers of Youngsville, GmbH
President, Rush Drumming Ventures, LTD;
Daytrepper is offline  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 11:32 PM
Intrepid Modder
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 520
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Codes

I saw the part about checking the codes by turning the key three times without letting the car start, but how do you clear the codes? I can't find that anywhere.
drynoc is offline  
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 11:42 PM
I hit shit with sticks!


 
Daytrepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Zebulon, NC
Posts: 37,148
Feedback: 21 / 100%
                     
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drynoc
I saw the part about checking the codes by turning the key three times without letting the car start, but how do you clear the codes? I can't find that anywhere.
Either disconnect the battery for 10 minutes, or go to Autozone. They will clear them for free.
Daytrepper is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 12:29 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 347
Feedback: 1 / 100%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32Intrepid
Theres the cause of your P0432. The converters in these cars are made of a crap wire mesh treated with the catalyst, rather than the ceramic-type converters that are used in many other vehicles. Our converters can barely stand any oil-burning, misfires, or antifreeze smoke. The catalyst in the crap wire mesh gets destroyed easily, and before you know it, "check engine", and P0432, P0431, or P0430. These converters do last for a while as long as they dont get contaminated by oil, antifreeze, etc. Most ceramic converters can stand that without loosing their catalyst.

P0432 and the other two codes are set when the pre and post cat O2 sensors detect no change (or not enough for the PCM) in the amount of oxygen entering and leaving the converter. O2 sensors should be checked before replacing cats anytime, but with these codes, its the cat 90% of the time. Bad O2's usually set their own specific codes.
So, what's problems can occur from riding around with this code for a prolonged amount of time?
dafella is offline  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 1,992
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
No Smoke...no milk..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32Intrepid
Just curious, did either of you have milky oil in your 2.7's, or were they smoking (blue or white thru exhaust) before they blew?
Nope.
First the cam chain stretched and took teeth off the water pump.
After a 'dealer' fix, either a rod or crank bearing spun that prompted a 3.2 upgrade. (haven't tore the 2.7 down, yet...)
alarkyokie is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 09:31 PM
I hit shit with sticks!


 
Daytrepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Zebulon, NC
Posts: 37,148
Feedback: 21 / 100%
                     
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dafella
So, what's problems can occur from riding around with this code for a prolonged amount of time?
Should not cause any damage. As long as the 3.2 is running ok and did not cause the damage to the cat from a misfire, lean condition etc. But hopefully if that was the case you would have more DTC's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alarkyokie
Nope.
First the cam chain stretched and took teeth off the water pump.
After a 'dealer' fix, either a rod or crank bearing spun that prompted a 3.2 upgrade. (haven't tore the 2.7 down, yet...)
Just worn out "dead cat" then. I would get the fuel trims checked to make sure your not running lean or anything. But then again you would probably have other codes...
Daytrepper is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome