Oil cap has white slime? - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Intrepid Fan
 
pottermj2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 223
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Oil cap has white slime?

Anybody heard of this? Yesterday, I opened up the oil cap to put 1/2 quart in as I was low. The oil on the stick looks fine, a little dark, but Im due for a change. Anyhow, the inside of the cap has a white film on it. Let me know what you all think. Again, this could be related to the severe cold we've been having, I'm not sure. I wrote anthter thread on the whine I get upon first start up of the day. Talk to you later...Thanks for your help people!
pottermj2007 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 10:33 AM
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,411
Feedback: 7 / 100%
                     
do you make alot of short trips?
I beata firebird ina ES is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Intrepid Fan
 
pottermj2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 223
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
How short is too short a drive. My morning commute to work is about 15 miles. Then I drive home the same amount. but I do occasionally take really short trips after I've been home, to go to the grocery store or to like Target or places like that which are about 5 miles one way. Are you thinking that condensation is building up in the oil from short trips? Could that worsen because of the really cold temps the last couple weeks?

Also, I failed to mention that I have been having an oil leak problem for about 6 months now. Slow leak. I fill it back up with 1/2 quart between oil changes. Waiting until spring to check it out closer. Could water be getting in this way?

Thanks...Mike
pottermj2007 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 11:36 AM
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,411
Feedback: 7 / 100%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottermj2007
Are you thinking that condensation is building up in the oil from short trips? Could that worsen because of the really cold temps the last couple weeks?
yes, that what i was thinking.
I beata firebird ina ES is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 12:57 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,388
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Yeah, white oily stuff is usually condensation/moisture mixed into the oil. By any chance, does your 2.7 have a heat exchanger installed in the pcv hose? If you follow your pcv hose off the intake, the heat exchanger looks like a metal barrell with two coolant hoses coming off of it and the two pcv hoses. I do not know what year car you have, but my 2001 was built in Aug 2000 and has one as far as I can tell factory OE. That is supposed to help with moisture/condensation issues, and its believed was the remedy DC came up with to fix the sludge issue.
froggy81500 is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Fan
 
pottermj2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 223
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy81500
Yeah, white oily stuff is usually condensation/moisture mixed into the oil. By any chance, does your 2.7 have a heat exchanger installed in the pcv hose? If you follow your pcv hose off the intake, the heat exchanger looks like a metal barrell with two coolant hoses coming off of it and the two pcv hoses. I do not know what year car you have, but my 2001 was built in Aug 2000 and has one as far as I can tell factory OE. That is supposed to help with moisture/condensation issues, and its believed was the remedy DC came up with to fix the sludge issue.
I am not sure, I'll have to check on that. If it does have it, do you think this could be malfunctioning? I have the same year as you...2001 SE 2.7L so if you have it, I probably do also.
pottermj2007 is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 01:19 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
Gorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Iowa
Posts: 7,101
Feedback: 20 / 100%
                     
I've gotten that stuff all the time the past 2 or 3 winters.

Always seems to go away with the first warm week in spring.

--Gorm
Gorm is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 01:47 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 686
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
it's exactly what somebody mentioned, condensation/mositure and it is more frequent on cars that make lots of short trips. It's pretty harmless as long as the oil itself is clean. You can just wipe it off the cap with a rag.
boltuprite is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 02:04 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,388
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
It looks like this:

light blue "x"


red circle

When I used to work at a gas station/car wash 10 years ago, I used to see a few cars with moisture in a few places during the winter. the oil cap, the pcv hose and the dipstick. Those areas are usually more open to moisture. Looks kinda like snot.
froggy81500 is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Fan
 
pottermj2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 223
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy81500
It looks like this:

light blue "x"


red circle

When I used to work at a gas station/car wash 10 years ago, I used to see a few cars with moisture in a few places during the winter. the oil cap, the pcv hose and the dipstick. Those areas are usually more open to moisture. Looks kinda like snot.
Yeah, I have the exact same thing in my car. How does this thing work, do you know? I think I'm ok for now with regards to moisture because like I said, the oil on the dipstick looks fine, no white slime or anything, just light brown oil. I just don't want this to be the start of something bad you know?

I am nervous because I have had a problem this winter with my heater fogging up my interior windows, the only way I can keep them from fogging is if I use defrost split only. Someone told me here that this could be a sign of a heater core going. So if this is in any way possibly related I would be very nervous. They say that part is like $800.00 to replace!!!

(The following is a rant on how frustrating cars can be)
Seems like things all go on a car in clusters. Just this winter I've had this oil leak start, my heater is getting worse and now this weird slime issue as well as that strange whine on very cold mornings when I start up the car.

Anyhow, thanks for the assistance...talk to you later...mike
pottermj2007 is offline  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 12:27 AM
Intrepid Pro
 
jfsram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Ontario
Posts: 2,177
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Quote:
=boltupriteIt's pretty harmless as long as the oil itself is clean. You can just wipe it off the cap with a rag.
Yes the sludge that's in the cap is harmless. It's the sludge that's in the rest of the engine that's detrimental.

If sludge builds up in places meant for draining oil back to the oil pan. You will soon have a seized engine. Add to the fact that 2.7L have a reputation for that. I'd be remedying that situation fast.

I'd at least change to synthetic oil and stick to severe duty intervals.

My wife drives the LHS on short trips. So I use Mobil One 5w30 every 5000kms and try to use a block heater. I also trade cars with her once in a while so it gets some beatings and a good highway run. My work is a 30 minute highway commute.

Another thing that may help is on your short trips. After it's warmed up. Like on route back home. Get into the throttle a bit. Babying the car around and never letting reach full operating temperature will not get rid of condensation.

69 Super Bee (under construction)
65 Belvedere 225
87 Ram D150 5.9L, 5 spd
94 LHS 3.5L
93 Mustang LX 5.0L, 5 spd
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/754650/1
jfsram is offline  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 12:35 AM
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,227
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
good info guys. my avg max commute is about 3 miles and its on a military base so its stop lights and stop signs... i thought i was good immediatly replaceing the water pump and timing belt, but now i have something else to watch..
speepdaedeesi is offline  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 07:28 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,388
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottermj2007
Yeah, I have the exact same thing in my car. How does this thing work, do you know? I think I'm ok for now with regards to moisture because like I said, the oil on the dipstick looks fine, no white slime or anything, just light brown oil. I just don't want this to be the start of something bad you know?
Pcv vapors flow thru the center of that heat exchanger, while the body of it has hot coolant flowing thru it. It helps kep the pcv vapors hot so water vapor stays in vapor form and doesn't condense out into liquid. Water vapor is a normal combustion by-product and is present in blow-by gases. As long as it is in vapor form, its ok. When it condenses out and ends up in the oil, that's a whole different story. Wipe off the inside of your cap and check it in a few days.


Quote:
Originally Posted by pottermj2007
I am nervous because I have had a problem this winter with my heater fogging up my interior windows, the only way I can keep them from fogging is if I use defrost split only. Someone told me here that this could be a sign of a heater core going. So if this is in any way possibly related I would be very nervous. They say that part is like $800.00 to replace!!!

(The following is a rant on how frustrating cars can be)
Seems like things all go on a car in clusters. Just this winter I've had this oil leak start, my heater is getting worse and now this weird slime issue as well as that strange whine on very cold mornings when I start up the car.

Anyhow, thanks for the assistance...talk to you later...mike
Windshield fogging could be from a few different reasons. Moisture/humidity is one. Your breath will fog up the windows, which is why any of the 3 defrost settings at the bottom of the dial activate the a/c compressor, to dry the air.

Another thing I have noticed, is if I have the temp dial all the way to full hot, I start getting fogging issues. I have a probe thermometer in my center vent that came with an a/c testing kit and I just left it there. I noticed that if I turn my temp dial to the point around where the red "hot" starts to blend with the blue "cold" my windows stay relatively clear. If you get the inside too hot, it'll fog up the windows.
froggy81500 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome