DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

How To Set Up A Car Show?

1K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Amigo-2k 
#1 ·
So I want to have a car show in my town, nothing special or big. Just do some advertising and stuff and see who shows up, because I have seen some NICE cars around here. The main point in the show will actually be to raise money for the Huntsman Cancer Institute, and I would like to get my fraternity chapter (Sigma Chi) to provide some backing. I would want to be awarding prizes and stuff. The main question I have, does anyone have any hints or suggestions to go about doing this? I wanted to have like a $25 entry fee, awarding prizes by car categories, judged by impartial judges (because I would be in the show) and just have some stuff set up to have fun. Would be nice to get companies to advertise there too. But all proceeds go towards cancer research, and my fraternity would take none of it. So...how would I do it?

P.S. If and when I get it set up, expect to see an invite on here later on down the road.

#3 ·
$25 is steep for a basic car show. The standard "small time" show usually runs closer to $15.

The biggest thing I can recommend is getting in touch with as many local car clubs as possible. Hot rod clubs, corvette clubs, mustang clubs, import/custom clubs, 4x4 clubs, etc. You need to check out what their show schedule is for the season and try to choose a weekend that does not coincide with a large show. The majority of the events I've planned have been locked into place about 9 months in advance to provide plenty of time for advertising and spreading the word. A good venue is also clutch!

#4 ·
Good points Gaze. If you can do it when the fair or ciruis is in town or other town gatherings. Go online and check out AZ car clubs alot of clubs will travel and come. I would 1st of all find a place big enough where you are sure you can use. Sponsors are the key as well, every food place in town, hotels, gas stations even retail stores can all benfit the out of towners.

#5 ·
Wasn't sure how much to charge, so good to know it should be cheaper. I will start asking around about sponsorship and local car clubs. As for a venue, my school will more than likely let me close off several parking lots to use. They're usually pretty good about stuff like that.

#6 ·
im planning on having a car show at my tech school soon to raise money for skillsUSA trips, we also have a auto mechanics and auto collision classes there and alot of car buffs,

so far the only thing ive thought out was different classes,

domestic
import
4x4
muscle
subs comp
unrestored
etc

you gotta have trophys too i think were only going to do 1 trophy in each class though instead 1st 2nd 3rd

#7 ·
Yeah I was thinking about the same thing. I think I might talk to some local shops or something and see if they'll sponsor some advertising on TV or something, and then we'll put their names on shirts or whatever. It's for cancer research! What more motivation do you need?!?!?

#8 ·
nobody has mentioned anything about what you might need from the city in order to do this (permits, business license since you plan to charge,etc.) car shows are a pretty big deal when done right and usually include a street or to blocked off which will need local law enforcement and city officials to setup and supply road stops and traffic support. Since it's on "school" property you might be able to get away with a few things a little easier. Make sure people will have bathrooms availiable is most important and after that some food/drinks are always welcome when walking around a parking lot in the sun. This is a lot more work than your thinking i'm sure. try and get with a local Kwannas, Elks chapter or chamber of commerce

#9 ·
Oh I know it's going to be a lot of work. Restroom facilities are right next to the parking lots I want to have it at. I've got 30+ guys that will work with me, plus if the car clubs get into it I can get them too. I can get the cafeteria on campus to cater food as well, they'd probably love to do that.

#14 ·
Because this won't be a concourse show so to speak, you could also have participant voting. Everyone who pays the entry fee gets a ballot with all the different classes on it and all they have to do is write in the number of the car they think is best in each class. You don't need any cash awards, just tropies for each class. You can also get local business's to donate some of their product for door prizes. With every entry you get a ticket for door the door prize drawing and you can also sell extra tickets for that as well. You will also have to check with the local government, lots of cities and towns require a permit to hold an event.

#15 ·
watever u do, dont use the bass guys as the dj, omg, the classic car guys will leave, alot of people will, if anything, devide the sub guys to another area, so it dont piss people off, and make sure local cops wont bust them for area laws, like out here, tickets are given if they hear your system over 75 feet away, but haha, i never got one......yet. you will need a dj, with muli-genre music taste, and knows what that specific crowd will like, and school food, no one likes that, talk to some people out there, chain food dont work, instead, try smaller local resteraunts, 50/50 raffles are common, try that, and have lots of people going around selling, not just one. shaded area is good, bathrooms are covered, and make sure that your school will go through, not having to cancel cuz it rained on they football game and continued or something, make sure u have every possible thing covered. and remember, kids ill be there too, besides the cars, have something there for them too. good luck.
i tried doing this one time, it was too much of a pain in the A$$

#16 ·
We started doing "Scavenger Hunts" at our car shows and it really kept people interested. Expecially during the really hot summer days. We had a table full of door prizes that were donated from area vendors and we would have the DJ occasionally announce that the first person to come up to his booth with a _____ would win a prize. Some of the items we would look for would include a 1984 Penny, a Speeding Ticket, A zippo lighter, etc. Usually just random stuff that people may or may not have in their car at any given time. The crowds always loved it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.