LOCK CYLINDER & SHIFT INTERLOCK CASSETTE
NOTE: On column shift models, when replacing lock cylinder, a NEW shift interlock
cassette MUST BE installed. On floor shift models, when replacing lock
cylinder, shift interlock cable must be adjusted after installing lock cylinder.
First Generation Dodge Intrepid service manual 96-97
1. Disable air bag system. See DISABLING & ACTIVATING AIR BAG SYSTEM . Ensure negative
battery cable is disconnected and isolated from all other components.
2. Tilt steering column upward. Remove screws from lower cover on steering wheel. Tilt steering column
downward. Remove upper steering column cover from steering column.
3. Tilt steering column upward. Remove retaining screw from tilt lever on steering column. Remove tilt
lever and lower steering column cover. Using ignition key, turn lock cylinder to RUN position.
4. Note location of release tab on lock cylinder. See Fig. 3 . Depress release tab and pull lock cylinder from
lock cylinder housing.
5. On models with column shift, fully depress release tab on top of shift interlock cassette and remove shift
interlock cassette. See Fig. 2 . Slide shift interlock cassette from lock cylinder housing. Disconnect shift
interlock cable from latch on shift mechanism. See Fig. 2 .
6. On all models, if necessary to remove lock cylinder housing from steering column, remove combination
switch and ignition switch. See COMBINATION SWITCH and IGNITION SWITCH under
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION.
7. Center punch heads of lock cylinder tamper-proof bolts. Using 1/4" drill bit, drill out bolt heads on lock
cylinder tamper-proof bolts until bit contacts hardened washer under bolt heads. Remove lock cylinder
housing from steering column. Remove old bolts from lock cylinder housing.