300M Engine Swap - UPDATE
I'm starting this thread so I can give a running account of my progress in the 300M engine swap. I'll update it when I have time (and when manage to scrub off enough of the grease that I can use the computer). Here's the situation:
I got the engine yesterday. It came in a crate, and looks fantastic (as it should with only 23,000 miles on it) with one exception. There seems to be a chunk cracked out of the plastic intake manifold. The car was in an accident and apparently that part was damaged in the process. I'm working on getting a replacement manifold. Major differences in the engine: First off, the wiring is all different. It uses direct ignition, so I expected that to be different. But it seems that on the 300M engine, they ran wires to each of the sensors, the injectors etc, and then had them all converge into one or two major plugs, so the engine can be plugged into the car's wiring harness with one or two steps. In the intrepid, there seem to be a lot more wires running around on their own (rather than as part of a consolidated wiring harness.) It doesn't seem that I'll be able to use too much of the 300M's wiring, but the sensors all seem to be roughly correct, so hopefully it won't be a problem for the Intrepid's computer to keep tabs on the engine, and run the fueling system.
THE NEW ENGINE IS WAAAAAAAYYYY LIGHTER! Yep, aluminum is great. This thing is so much lighter. We can't even budge the 12 dollar Intrepid engine that I have sitting around. It feels like it' bolted to the ground. But my younger brother (18 years old) and I were able to easily lift the 300M engine off of the ground. It's got to be at least 100 maybe 150 or 200 lbs lighter. I wish I had a scale that was good for measuring.
The exhaust manifolds appear to be different. They terminate further forward than the old ones did. So untill I have a custom exhaust done, I'll have to use the old ones.
So far I've been working on pulling the old engine out. It's a relatively lengthy process. I've pulled the manifold, and disconnected most of the wires and vacume tubes that go to the engine. I drained the radiator, and pulled off the tubes. I pulled the AC compressor, power steering pump, starter, inspection cover, and the bolts for the flex plate. Removed the bolts on the engine mouts, and I'm working on the lower engine-to-transmission bolts. The biggest challange so far has been the bolds that hold the exhaust pipes to the manifolds. I've been cutting through them cause I can't unbolt them. I've got 1.5 left to do. I've also unbolted one of the exhaust manifolds from the block so I can rotate it to get at the bolts on the exhaust clamp. I've also pulled out the fans so I have some more room to work, and I've removed the accessory drive belts. All I need to do now is finish getting those exhaust manifolds off, get the engine to transmission bolts out, and I'll be ready to hoist it out of the car.
That's where I am right now. Sorry for the lengthy post, but I'm trying to include as many details as I can, in case people want to know exactly what's involved in this process. I hope I can remember to keep updating you all every day.