bank 2 upstream o2 sensor showing 1.27V, even with no sensor plugged in - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By tgs
  • 1 Post By peva
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Modder
 
zerokool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Park city, Ut.
Posts: 670
Feedback: 1 / 100%
                     
bank 2 upstream o2 sensor showing 1.27V, even with no sensor plugged in

whats going on with this?

bank 2 o2 sensor stuck at 1.27V with no sensor, with any sensor. I suspect a short but wouldn't know where to begin. code p0152
voltage never changes from 1.27V no matter rpm, drive condition etc.
stats collected from torque app, and elm obd2 dongle.

what ive tried:
1:swapping bank 1 and 2 sensors.
2:tried a spare known good, used sensor.
3:disconnecting sensor and reading live output.

should I try another pcm, scared to short it out too.
zerokool is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 04:19 PM
Intrepid Fan
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Omaha
Posts: 160
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
Have you checked powers and grounds for the sensor and PCM?

Need to check those before condemning PCM.
Look up the wiring diagram and follow all the 4 wires and see where they go.
Theres 2 wires for the heater and 2 wires for the sensor. One should be a 5 volt reference from the PCM.
The other wire will be your signal return which is the voltage signal generated by the O2 sensor to the PCM.

Also...cause a vacuum leak... add propane into the intake...FORCE the o2 sensors to react to what you're doing. That'll give you another good indication on whether it's a sensor or PCM issue.
Just because your scan tool says a certain value doesn't mean its factual. That's why power and ground checking is important.
Hope this helps some

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
UmmScott is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 07:01 PM
Woober Goobers!

 
Ronbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tiny Pebble, AR
Posts: 48,511
Feedback: 44 / 100%
                     
Bank 2/2 is Driver's side downstream of the catalytic converter.
Ronbo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 07:07 PM
Woober Goobers!

 
Ronbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tiny Pebble, AR
Posts: 48,511
Feedback: 44 / 100%
                     
P0152 is the 2/1 Sensor! Not 2/2. Drivers side upstream of the Cat Converter.

P0152-2/1 O2 SENSOR SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
When Monitored: With battery voltage greater than 10.4 volts, engine running for more
than 4 minutes and coolant temperature above 180°F.
Set Condition: The oxygen sensor voltage is above 1.5 volts.

POSSIBLE CAUSES

O2S SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN
O2S SIGNAL CIRCUIT OPEN
O2S SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORT TO VOLTAGE
WIRING HARNESS INTERMITTENT
O2 SENSOR
PCM

Like mentioned above.....check the wiring from that sensor to the PCM. Also didn't you just change a bunch of wiring/harnesses in the engine bay recently? Good place to start.

JJI=Just Junk It, LLC!
Member of the Sold SRT-8 Magnums of DI.net Club!
Perky Jerky for Everyone!!
Crazy Rons House of Mega Deals
Member of the CAN Bus Bitches Club!
Ronbo is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 08:12 PM
Woober Goobers!

 
Ronbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tiny Pebble, AR
Posts: 48,511
Feedback: 44 / 100%
                     
2 Turn the igntion off.
Disconnect the O2 sensor harness connector.
Start engine. Allow the engine to idle.
Monitior the 02 sensor voltage on the DRB.
Is the O2 voltage above 1.2 volts?
All
Yes ® Go To 3
No ® Replace the Oxygen Sensor.
Perform Powertrain Verification Test VER-5A.

3 Turn Ignition Off.
Disconnect the O2S connector.
Using an Ohmmeter, measure the resistance between the O2S Sensor Ground circuit
and Engine Ground.
Is the resistance below 5.0 ohms?
All
No ® Repair the open circuit.
Perform the Powertrain Verification Test - Ver 5.
Yes ® Go To 4

4 Turn Ignition Off.
Disconnect the O2S connector.
Start engine. Allow engine to idle.
Using a Voltmeter, measure the voltage of the O2S Signal circuit at the O2 Sensor
connector.
Is the voltage above .9 volts?
All
Yes ® Repair the short to voltage.
Perform Powertrain Verification Test VER-5A.
No ® Go To 5

5 Turn Ignition Off.
Disconnect the O2S connector.
Disconnect the PCM connectors.
Using an Ohmmeter, measure the resistance of the O2S Signal circuit between the
O2S connector and the PCM connector.
Is the resistance below 5.0 ohms?
All
No ® Repair the open circuit.
Perform Powertrain Verification Test VER-5A.
Yes ® Go To 6

6 If there are no possible causes remaining, replace the PCM.
View repair options.
All
Repair
Replace the PCM.
Perform Powertrain Verification Test VER-5A.

JJI=Just Junk It, LLC!
Member of the Sold SRT-8 Magnums of DI.net Club!
Perky Jerky for Everyone!!
Crazy Rons House of Mega Deals
Member of the CAN Bus Bitches Club!
Ronbo is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Modder
 
zerokool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Park city, Ut.
Posts: 670
Feedback: 1 / 100%
                     
Smile updates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post
2 Turn the igntion off.
Disconnect the O2 sensor harness connector.
Start engine. Allow the engine to idle.
Monitior the 02 sensor voltage on the DRB.
Is the O2 voltage above 1.2 volts?
All
Yes ® Go To 3
No ® Replace the Oxygen Sensor.
Perform Powertrain Verification Test VER-5A.

3 Turn Ignition Off.
Disconnect the O2S connector.
Using an Ohmmeter, measure the resistance between the O2S Sensor Ground circuit
and Engine Ground.
Is the resistance below 5.0 ohms?
All
No ® Repair the open circuit.
Perform the Powertrain Verification Test - Ver 5.
Yes ® Go To 4

4 Turn Ignition Off.
Disconnect the O2S connector.
Start engine. Allow engine to idle.
Using a Voltmeter, measure the voltage of the O2S Signal circuit at the O2 Sensor
connector.
Is the voltage above .9 volts?
All
Yes ® Repair the short to voltage.
Perform Powertrain Verification Test VER-5A.
No ® Go To 5

5 Turn Ignition Off.
Disconnect the O2S connector.
Disconnect the PCM connectors.
Using an Ohmmeter, measure the resistance of the O2S Signal circuit between the
O2S connector and the PCM connector.
Is the resistance below 5.0 ohms?
All
No ® Repair the open circuit.
Perform Powertrain Verification Test VER-5A.
Yes ® Go To 6

6 If there are no possible causes remaining, replace the PCM.
View repair options.
All
Repair
Replace the PCM.
Perform Powertrain Verification Test VER-5A.

@ 200ohm I get 5 ohms resistance to ground, bank 2 shows the same 5 ohms.
so I tested the continuity and ohms for the other 3 pins to the connector and I found
0 ohms / no continuity on one of the o2 heater circuit wires....



dismantled connector, found the wire was pulled out of the end of the pin. soldered said wire back to pin.
problem solved!



while I was there I found this thingie thing that I broke off the ground blade...



it has
250/0.47
45301
262



on it. not sure if the picture reflect.

thanks guys!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5757.jpg (118.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5760.jpg (135.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg InkedIMG_5764_LI.jpg (136.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5768.jpg (128.9 KB, 14 views)
zerokool is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Modder
 
zerokool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Park city, Ut.
Posts: 670
Feedback: 1 / 100%
                     
whats that module do that I broke?
zerokool is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Intrepid Modder
 
zerokool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Park city, Ut.
Posts: 670
Feedback: 1 / 100%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by UmmScott View Post
Have you checked powers and grounds for the sensor and PCM?

Need to check those before condemning PCM.
Look up the wiring diagram and follow all the 4 wires and see where they go.
Theres 2 wires for the heater and 2 wires for the sensor. One should be a 5 volt reference from the PCM.
The other wire will be your signal return which is the voltage signal generated by the O2 sensor to the PCM.

Also...cause a vacuum leak... add propane into the intake...FORCE the o2 sensors to react to what you're doing. That'll give you another good indication on whether it's a sensor or PCM issue.
Just because your scan tool says a certain value doesn't mean its factual. That's why power and ground checking is important.
Hope this helps some

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
hey you were right! need a o2 heater wire for this thing to work!
imagine that!
zerokool is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 07:42 AM
Intrepid Pro
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Virginia, U.S.
Posts: 16,028
Feedback: 4 / 83%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerokool View Post
whats that module do that I broke?


That thang thar be the ignition coil 12 volt power wire-to-block (ground) RFI (radio frequency interference) suppression capacitor. It’s supposed to keep ignition noise out of your and other nearby radios. FCC requirement. Probably not critical to your engine running (might help keep the +12V on that wire “cleaner”). Get one out of a junker next time you’re in a yard. Should be one on both cylinder heads.
peva is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 09:19 AM
tgs
Intrepid Pro
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Stuck in Indianapolis until the end of time
Posts: 1,864
Feedback: 3 / 100%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by peva View Post
[IMG] Should be one on both cylinder heads.
Only one one the left head for 02+ cars.

98 - 01 had one on each head.
peva likes this.
tgs is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 09:57 AM
Intrepid Pro
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Virginia, U.S.
Posts: 16,028
Feedback: 4 / 83%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgs View Post
Only one one the left head for 02+ cars.

98 - 01 had one on each head.


EDIT: They didn’t update the FSM (it happens), at least for ‘02 (similar shown for 2.7) - from 02 FSM:

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 71CD81AE-C7EF-4E29-97A4-315FF3BA485C.jpeg (60.1 KB, 8 views)
tgs likes this.

Last edited by peva; 06-27-2019 at 10:32 AM.
peva is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome