Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Stuck in Indianapolis until the end of time
From the factrory service manual (FSM) which you can download form here.
section 23 pages 46 and 47
WARNING: DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE NEGA-
BEFORE BEGINNING ANY INSTRUMENT PANEL OR
COMPONENT REMOVAL OR INSTALLATION PRO-
CEDURE. THIS WILL DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYS-
TEM. FAILURE TO DISCONNECT BATTERY COULD
RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT
AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY. ALLOW SYS-
TEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE FOR 2 MINUTES.
(1) Open hood and disconnect the negative battery
cable remote terminal from the remote battery post
(2) Remove one Allen screw to shifter knob.
(3) Remove left and right instrument panel end
NOTE: On 300M vehicles, the center bezel must be
removed prior to the shifter bezel.
(4) 300M, remove center bezel (Refer to 23 -
PANEL CENTER BEZEL - REMOVAL).
(5) Using a trim stick (special tool #C-4755) or
equivalent, gently pry up on shifter bezel.
(6) Disconnect two wire connectors, one illumina-
tion bulb socket, and remove.
(7) Remove two screws from lower instrument
panel cover (outside end) and disconnect deck lid
release switch wiring connector. Pull rearward on
lower instrument panel cover releasing clips. Remove
cable to brake release handle. Pull rearward and
remove cover from vehicle.
(8) On six passenger vehicles, remove the lower
floor bin and proceed with Step 14 (Refer to 23 -
(9) On five passenger vehicles, use trim stick or
equivalent to gently remove center bezel (Refer to 23
BODY/INSTRUMENT PANEL/STORAGE BIN -
(10) Disconnect wire connectors to the HVAC con-
trol and traction control switch and remove bezel
(11) Remove two screws to left console side cover,
pull outboard and remove from vehicle.
(12) Lower glove box door to floor by pinching
sides together, towards each other. Remove two
screws to right console side cover, pull outboard and
remove from vehicle.
(13) Remove two front bracket screws and two
screws inside console storage bin to remove console.
(14) Remove two nuts attaching center lower
instrument panel to floor tunnel bracket (Fig. 3).
(15) Remove four bolts to steel steering column
reinforcement from bottom of lower instrument panel
cover and disconnect 16-way Diagnostic Link Connec-
tor (DLC) from steel reinforcement (Refer to 23 -
BODY/INSTRUMENT PANEL/STEERING COLUMN
OPENING COVER - REMOVAL).
(16) Remove one screw to the steering column
mounting plate (Fig. 4).
(17) Remove one screw to left floor duct/silencer
pad and remove from vehicle.
(18) Remove steering column from vehicle.
(a) Remove column shrouds.
(b) Disconnect shift interlock cable at ignition
(c) Disconnect column wiring.
(d) Disconnect under column duct section and
remove from vehicle.
(e) Disconnect and remove left panel A/C outlet
(f) Remove four column mounting bolts at brake
pedal support bracket.
(g) Lower steering column to floor.
(19) Disconnect two harness connectors to the
HVAC housing, the Airbag Control Module (ACM),
and two ground eyelets left of the floor tunnel near
(20) Using a trim stick or equivalent, gently pry
out on the left and right A-pillar trim moldings, and
slide rearward to remove.
(21) Using a trim stick or equivalent, gently pry
up on the instrument panel top cover and remove by
gently pulling toward the rear of vehicle (Refer to 23
PANEL TOP COVER - REMOVAL).
(22) Remove one screw retaining each left and
right scuff plate. Using a trim stick or equivalent,
gently pry up on left and right scuff plates and
remove from vehicle.
(23) Remove three screws to right and left side
cowl side kick panels and remove from vehicle (Fig.
(24) Remove right side under dash silencer/pad.
(25) Disconnect the two right side harness connec-
tors to radio antenna and amplifier DIN cable.
(26) Disconnect the left side harness connectors to
junction block and Body Control Module (BCM).
(27) Remove eight remaining instrument panel
retaining screws to body.
(28) Pull rearward on instrument panel.
(29) Make sure that all harnesses are free and
clear from snagging.
(30) With the help of an assistant, remove instru-
ment panel from vehicle and place on bench.
(31) If replacing instrument panel and pad assem-
bly, transfer all parts to new assembly. Refer to (Fig.
6), (Fig. 7), and (Fig. 8).
Fig. 3 INSTRUMENT PANEL CENTER STACK
1 - INSTRUMENT PANEL
2 - INSTRUMENT PANEL CENTER STACK RETAINER
Fig. 4 STEERING COLUMN MOUNTING PLATE
2 - STEERING COLUMN MOUNTING PLATE
INSTRUMENT PANEL 23 - 47