1. Inspect all sprockets (4),(9),(11) and chain guides (2),(5),(10). Replace if worn.
2. For crankshaft sprocket installation procedures (Refer to 09 - Engine/Engine Block/CRANKSHAFT - Installation) .
3. If removed, install the right and left side short chain guides (10). Tighten attaching bolts to 28 N·m (250 in. lbs.).
4. Align the crankshaft sprocket timing mark to the mark on the oil pump housing (3).
NOTE: Lubricate timing chain and guides with engine oil before installation.
5. Place the left side primary chain sprocket onto the chain so that the timing mark is located in between the two (plated) timing links (1).
6. Lower the primary chain with the left side sprocket through the left cylinder head opening.
NOTE: The camshaft sprockets can be allowed to float on the camshaft hub during installation.
7. Loosely position the left side camshaft sprocket over the camshaft hub.
8. Align the timing (plated) link to the crankshaft sprocket timing mark (3).
9. Position the primary chain onto the water pump drive sprocket (11).
10. Align the right camshaft sprocket timing mark to the timing (plated) link on the timing chain (8) and loosely position over the camshaft hub.
11. Verify that all chain timing (plated) links are properly aligned to the timing marks on all sprockets.
12. Install the left side lower chain guide (2) and tensioner arm (5). Tighten attaching bolts to 28 N·m (250 in. lbs.).
NOTE: Inspect the O-ring on the chain guide access plugs before installing. Replace the O-ring as necessary.
13. Install the chain guide access plugs to the cylinder heads. Tighten plugs to 20 N·m (15 ft. lbs.).
NOTE: To reset the primary timing chain tensioner, engine oil will first need to be purged from the tensioner.
14. Purge oil from the timing chain tensioner using the following procedure: a. Place the check ball (2) end of the tensioner into the shallow end of Chain Tensioner Gauge 8186 (3).
b. Using hand pressure, slowly depress the tensioner until oil is purged from the tensioner.
15. Reset the timing chain tensioner using the following procedure: a. Position the cylinder plunger (4) into the deeper end of Chain Tensioner Gauge 8186 (3).
b. Apply a downward force until tensioner is reset .
NOTE: If oil was not first purged from the tensioner, use slight finger pressure to assist the center arm pin of Chain Tensioner Gauge 8186 to unseat the tensioner's check ball.
CAUTION: Ensure the tensioner is properly reset. The tensioner body (4) must bottom against the top edge of Chain Tensioner Gauge 8186 (3). Failure to properly perform the resetting procedure may cause tensioner jamming.
NOTE: Inspect the tensioner O-ring (2) for nicks or cuts and make sure the snap ring (1) is correctly installed, replace as necessary.
16. Install the reset chain tensioner (1) into the right cylinder head.
17. Position tensioner retaining plate (2) and tighten bolts (3) to 12 N·m (105 in. lbs.).
18. Starting at the right cylinder bank, first position the camshaft damper (1) (if equipped) on the camshaft hub, then insert a 3/8” square drive extension with a breaker bar into the intake camshaft drive hub. Rotate the camshaft until the camshaft hub aligns to the camshaft sprocket and damper attaching holes. Install the sprocket attaching bolts and tighten to 28 N·m (250 in. lbs.).
19. Insert a 3/8” square drive extension with a breaker bar into the intake camshaft drive hub and rotate the camshaft until the sprocket attaching bolts can be installed. Tighten the sprocket bolts to 28 N·m (250 in. lbs.).
20. Rotate the crankshaft slightly clockwise to remove timing chain slack, if necessary.
21. Activate the timing chain tensioner by using a flat bladed pry tool to gently pry tensioner arm towards the tensioner slightly. Then release the tensioner arm. Verify the tensioner is activated (extends).
22. Install the camshaft position sensor (2) and connect the electrical connector.
23. Install the timing chain cover, crankshaft vibration damper and accessory drive belt (Refer to 09 - Engine/Valve Timing/COVER(S) , Engine Timing - Installation).
24. Install the cylinder head covers (Refer to 09 - Engine/Cylinder Head/COVER(S) , Cylinder Head - Installation)
25. Install the upper intake manifold and air cleaner housing assembly (Refer to 09 - Engine/Manifolds/MANIFOLD, Intake - Installation)
26. Connect the negative battery cable and tighten nut to 5 N·m (45 in. lbs.).
27. Fill the cooling system (Refer to 07 - Cooling - Standard Procedure) .
NOTE: After installation of a reset tensioner, engine noise will occur after initial start-up. This noise will normally disappear within 5–10 seconds.
28. Operate the engine until it reaches normal operating temperature. Check cooling system for correct fluid level (Refer to 07 - Cooling - Standard Procedure)
NOTE: The Cam/Crank Variation Relearn procedure must be performed anytime there has been a repair/replacement made to a powertrain system, for example: flywheel, valvetrain, camshaft and/or crankshaft sensors or components (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure)