2.7 to 3.5 conversion - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Palmdale
Posts: 6
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
2.7 to 3.5 conversion

Hi, I am getting ready to buy a 2003 Dodge Intrepid (2.7) and there i nothing wrong with the engine it only has 90,000 miles but I want to swap it for a 3.5. Is this a fairly easy swap? Can I just take out the 2.7 and install the 3.5? Will the transmission radiator, etc. bolt up and fit? I really appreciate the help.
Intrepid_SXT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 04:35 PM
Intrepid Pro

 
dmondeac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Midlothian, VA
Posts: 2,576
Feedback: 15 / 100%
                     
Check with Daytrepper he has worked out all the details so you know what you are getting into.
dmondeac is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 06:02 PM
I hit shit with sticks!


 
Daytrepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Zebulon, NC
Posts: 37,104
Feedback: 21 / 100%
                     
Garage
All the info you need right here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...T#ht_500wt_975
Daytrepper is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 01:08 PM
Intrepid Modder
 
Capt. Ron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 314
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Hey what about swapping a 3.2 with a challenger 3.5 or 3.6?
Would that be considered a simple engine swap or would there be more involved?
Capt. Ron is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 01:33 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
micholob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Osceola, IA
Posts: 2,455
Feedback: 4 / 83%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid_SXT View Post
Hi, I am getting ready to buy a 2003 Dodge Intrepid (2.7) and there i nothing wrong with the engine it only has 90,000 miles but I want to swap it for a 3.5. Is this a fairly easy swap? Can I just take out the 2.7 and install the 3.5? Will the transmission radiator, etc. bolt up and fit? I really appreciate the help.
I'd put it on Craigslist once you get it out and take some vid of it running beforehand. Running 2.7's are fetching a higher price than 3.2/3.5's because most people aren't aware they can be swapped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Ron View Post
Hey what about swapping a 3.2 with a challenger 3.5 or 3.6?
Would that be considered a simple engine swap or would there be more involved?
Notgonnawork

Last edited by micholob; 07-13-2011 at 01:36 PM.
micholob is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 01:39 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
Squilliam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Greater Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 15,047
Feedback: 2 / 100%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Ron View Post
Hey what about swapping a 3.2 with a challenger 3.5 or 3.6?
Would that be considered a simple engine swap or would there be more involved?
Nope.
Squilliam is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 01:41 PM
I hit shit with sticks!


 
Daytrepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Zebulon, NC
Posts: 37,104
Feedback: 21 / 100%
                     
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by micholob View Post
I'd put it on Craigslist once you get it out and take some vid of it running beforehand. Running 2.7's are fetching a higher price than 3.2/3.5's because most people aren't aware they can be swapped.
Actually, the opposite is true. 3.2's/3.5's that are good and complete have skyrocketed in price.

2.7's are high and have always been, so long as they are good running.
Daytrepper is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 03:33 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
micholob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Osceola, IA
Posts: 2,455
Feedback: 4 / 83%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytrepper View Post
Actually, the opposite is true. 3.2's/3.5's that are good and complete have skyrocketed in price.

2.7's are high and have always been, so long as they are good running.
Well, I guess word is getting around. I try send business your way. When I see folks on craigslist looking for a running 2.7L I send em a link to your manual on ebay and a link to the site.
micholob is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 04:04 PM
I hit shit with sticks!


 
Daytrepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Zebulon, NC
Posts: 37,104
Feedback: 21 / 100%
                     
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by micholob View Post
Well, I guess word is getting around. I try send business your way. When I see folks on craigslist looking for a running 2.7L I send em a link to your manual on ebay and a link to the site.
Cool, I appreciate it.

Yeah, I remember about '04-05 when a running complete 3.x was $500, and a 2.7 was $1500. Now, the 3.2/5's are anywhere from $12-$1800 for a complete, right up there with the 2.7's.

These are known good engines with a warranty, not u-pull it engines.
Daytrepper is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 05:04 AM
Intrepid Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: colorado
Posts: 14
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
i have a 2000 intrepid r/t, but a tree jumped out in attacked the side of it, I know the body work would exceed the value of the car, but I found a 2000 intrepid with a bad 2.7. would it be worth it to swap motors or would i be better of parting out the car
m_osier is offline  
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 08:32 AM
I hit shit with sticks!


 
Daytrepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Zebulon, NC
Posts: 37,104
Feedback: 21 / 100%
                     
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_osier View Post
i have a 2000 intrepid r/t, but a tree jumped out in attacked the side of it, I know the body work would exceed the value of the car, but I found a 2000 intrepid with a bad 2.7. would it be worth it to swap motors or would i be better of parting out the car
The swap would be easy, you have everything you need to do it. Also, you could add most of the r/t options to the 2.7 car. If the mileage is good on the r/t and everything is in good condition aside from the wreck Id say go for it. Make sure to do the maintenance on the 3.5 engine, ie timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, etc.
Daytrepper is offline  
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 11:53 PM
Intrepid Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: colorado
Posts: 14
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
thanks, did a tune up three days before boy met tree, is the w/p and timing belt that hard to do once back in the car? Can I use my tranny from the 3.5 without the computers. thanks for your input
m_osier is offline  
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 12:01 AM
I hit shit with sticks!


 
Daytrepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Zebulon, NC
Posts: 37,104
Feedback: 21 / 100%
                     
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_osier View Post
thanks, did a tune up three days before boy met tree, is the w/p and timing belt that hard to do once back in the car? Can I use my tranny from the 3.5 without the computers. thanks for your input
Not that bad in the car...yes, any trans will work....so long as the year range is correct. 98-01 needs to be 98-01, and 02-04 needs to be 02-04......unless you swap the trans harnesses...other than that only difference is the final drive gears, and having the 2.7 gear ratio on a 3.5 gives you a bit of a performance advantage.
Daytrepper is offline  
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 12:31 AM
Intrepid Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: colorado
Posts: 14
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
does it matter that the 3.5 has an auto-stick
m_osier is offline  
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 01:05 AM
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!

 
cdmccul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Garrison, ND
Posts: 15,449
Feedback: 18 / 100%
                     
Nope, Autostick is all in the computers in the car - trans is still the same.
cdmccul is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome