2.7 Build Up - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Intrepid Pro
 
Squilliam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Greater Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 15,047
Feedback: 2 / 100%
                     
2.7 Build Up

Okay, well as many of you know I plan on "massaging" my 2.7 this spring and I've been racking my brains trying to figure some things out on how to do this. Let me begin by saying Im NOT going to buy a 3.5. I pride myself on being unique, and a 2.7 thats mildly built up is pretty cool IMO. A little backstory to my decision on this. Back in the spring, I did a Special PCM swap at Dan's meet. Im the first known 2.7 to run a Special PCM. Im not over exaggerating when I say it really woke the car up. A normal 3.5 HO doesnt run away anymore, it walks/crawls and I have witnesses on here and first hand testaments from fellow members. Seeing how much that PCM did for the car I decided to go the unique route and build up my 2.7. I figure when I break her out of mothballs this spring and do my timing chain and waterpump, I might as well take the heads off and get them ported and polished. And if I take the heads off, why not have the cams reground as well? This will be done with a custom intake spacer and bored out throttle body. But I do have a few questions pertaining to this that can be hopefully answered

- The 2.7 LIM is a plastic composite. Can I use an aluminum spacer, or does it have to be plastic as well? Can I eliminate the plastic LIM altogether and integrate the spacer and LIM all in one solid piece of aluminum?

- I've heard here and there that the 3.3 exhaust manifolds are very similar to the 2.7's. Would it be possible to swap the headers in the same manner as the 1G 3.5s and 2G 3.5s?

- What would my tolerances be for a cam regrind? I dont want to go super aggressive, but I want a little more oomph that whats at hand right now. I dont know if I should be looking at 2.7 tolerances or 3.5 tolerances due to the PCM.

Hopefully I can get this project underway here soon and have it done in time for Carlisle this year. I'm trying to find a decent set of heads for a good price so I can jumpstart this project instead of waiting until spring. Thanks for the help!


Quote:
Originally Posted by beeblebrox82 View Post
Treatin' my lady Trep right: One in the Pink (K&N) and Two in the Stink (Dual Exhaust)
Squilliam is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 12:01 PM
Intrepid Fan
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Michgan
Posts: 135
Feedback: 0 / 0%
         
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilliam View Post
Okay, well as many of you know I plan on "massaging" my 2.7 this spring and I've been racking my brains trying to figure some things out on how to do this. Let me begin by saying Im NOT going to buy a 3.5. I pride myself on being unique, and a 2.7 thats mildly built up is pretty cool IMO. A little backstory to my decision on this. Back in the spring, I did a Special PCM swap at Dan's meet. Im the first known 2.7 to run a Special PCM. Im not over exaggerating when I say it really woke the car up. A normal 3.5 HO doesnt run away anymore, it walks/crawls and I have witnesses on here and first hand testaments from fellow members. Seeing how much that PCM did for the car I decided to go the unique route and build up my 2.7. I figure when I break her out of mothballs this spring and do my timing chain and waterpump, I might as well take the heads off and get them ported and polished. And if I take the heads off, why not have the cams reground as well? This will be done with a custom intake spacer and bored out throttle body. But I do have a few questions pertaining to this that can be hopefully answered

- The 2.7 LIM is a plastic composite. Can I use an aluminum spacer, or does it have to be plastic as well? Can I eliminate the plastic LIM altogether and integrate the spacer and LIM all in one solid piece of aluminum?

- I've heard here and there that the 3.3 exhaust manifolds are very similar to the 2.7's. Would it be possible to swap the headers in the same manner as the 1G 3.5s and 2G 3.5s?

- What would my tolerances be for a cam regrind? I dont want to go super aggressive, but I want a little more oomph that whats at hand right now. I dont know if I should be looking at 2.7 tolerances or 3.5 tolerances due to the PCM.

Hopefully I can get this project underway here soon and have it done in time for Carlisle this year. I'm trying to find a decent set of heads for a good price so I can jumpstart this project instead of waiting until spring. Thanks for the help!

resurface the heads. I swear my 2.7 is harder to crank over since I put the resurfaced heads. I won't say if it is any peppier, as I haven't put it to the floor yet. Don't know how much they took off so don't know how much the compression went up.
zstroken is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 12:09 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
paintballdude05's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Posts: 13,180
Feedback: 13 / 93%
                     
A possible material for your spacer could be phenolic. But, I don't see why you can't use aluminium if you wanted too.

Good luck with the project Will, it sounds interesting!
paintballdude05 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 12:16 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
Duds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 22,212
Feedback: 12 / 100%
                     
Duds is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 12:17 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
Duds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 22,212
Feedback: 12 / 100%
                     
There is no reason you can't use plastic next to aluminum.


TIKO........
Duds is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 12:31 PM
get off my lawn

 
DrDodge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Smyrna , Tn
Posts: 15,502
Feedback: 6 / 100%
                     
manifolds will not swap, at least from what i can see, maybe , go with smaller cats and move them down the line a bit
DrDodge is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Pro
 
Squilliam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Greater Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 15,047
Feedback: 2 / 100%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballdude05 View Post
A possible material for your spacer could be phenolic. But, I don't see why you can't use aluminium if you wanted too.

Good luck with the project Will, it sounds interesting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duds View Post
There is no reason you can't use plastic next to aluminum.


TIKO........
Cool, thats good to know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDodge View Post
manifolds will not swap, at least from what i can see, maybe , go with smaller cats and move them down the line a bit
Its not the heat Im worried about, Im trying to get the exhaust flowing a little more freely and the 2G mani design is absolutely horrid.
Squilliam is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 02:14 PM
Farticcus of Plenticcus
 
shadowvox6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: 39.199138,-84.669778
Posts: 17,030
Feedback: 18 / 100%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilliam View Post
Okay, well as many of you know I plan on "massaging" my 2.7 this spring and I've been racking my brains trying to figure some things out on how to do this. Let me begin by saying Im NOT going to buy a 3.5. I pride myself on being unique, and a 2.7 thats mildly built up is pretty cool IMO. A little backstory to my decision on this. Back in the spring, I did a Special PCM swap at Dan's meet. Im the first known 2.7 to run a Special PCM. Im not over exaggerating when I say it really woke the car up. A normal 3.5 HO doesnt run away anymore, it walks/crawls and I have witnesses on here and first hand testaments from fellow members. Seeing how much that PCM did for the car I decided to go the unique route and build up my 2.7. I figure when I break her out of mothballs this spring and do my timing chain and waterpump, I might as well take the heads off and get them ported and polished. And if I take the heads off, why not have the cams reground as well? This will be done with a custom intake spacer and bored out throttle body. But I do have a few questions pertaining to this that can be hopefully answered

- The 2.7 LIM is a plastic composite. Can I use an aluminum spacer, or does it have to be plastic as well? Can I eliminate the plastic LIM altogether and integrate the spacer and LIM all in one solid piece of aluminum?
I would think that you would want to keep the LIM, as redesigning it in aluminum would be cost prohibitive. I would use phenolic in your case as the rest is plastic as well. See how much clearance you have for a spacer. Longer runners = moving the torque into the basement.

Quote:
- I've heard here and there that the 3.3 exhaust manifolds are very similar to the 2.7's. Would it be possible to swap the headers in the same manner as the 1G 3.5s and 2G 3.5s?
Get a pair and test it out. Get a set of heads (will come in handy for the next step) and try the 3.3 manifolds there. If they don't work, you might be able to fabricate a spacer that might fit the application.

Quote:
- What would my tolerances be for a cam regrind? I dont want to go super aggressive, but I want a little more oomph that whats at hand right now. I dont know if I should be looking at 2.7 tolerances or 3.5 tolerances due to the PCM.
Use the heads you got for test fitting the 3.3 manifolds and take the cams out, and send them to Crower. That is who can regrind them, they can also give you tips on how to get what you want out of them.

Quote:
Hopefully I can get this project underway here soon and have it done in time for Carlisle this year. I'm trying to find a decent set of heads for a good price so I can jumpstart this project instead of waiting until spring. Thanks for the help!
Squilly, you know I got your back on this one, provided you don't leave your phone on the windshield again!!





1997 Ford F150 Extended Cab 4.6AT
Old Blue Trucking
"No matter where you go, there you are...."


shadowvox6 is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 03:13 PM
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!

 
cdmccul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Garrison, ND
Posts: 15,449
Feedback: 18 / 100%
                     
cdmccul is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 04:41 PM
Intrepid Fan
 
coley909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Hallstead PA
Posts: 221
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
This is gunna be fun
coley909 is offline  
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 05:35 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
gearhead291's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: georgia
Posts: 5,642
Feedback: 2 / 75%
                     
can't wait to see how it turns out squilly.
gearhead291 is offline  
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Pro
 
Squilliam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Greater Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 15,047
Feedback: 2 / 100%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowvox6 View Post
I would think that you would want to keep the LIM, as redesigning it in aluminum would be cost prohibitive. I would use phenolic in your case as the rest is plastic as well. See how much clearance you have for a spacer. Longer runners = moving the torque into the basement.



Get a pair and test it out. Get a set of heads (will come in handy for the next step) and try the 3.3 manifolds there. If they don't work, you might be able to fabricate a spacer that might fit the application.



Use the heads you got for test fitting the 3.3 manifolds and take the cams out, and send them to Crower. That is who can regrind them, they can also give you tips on how to get what you want out of them.



Squilly, you know I got your back on this one, provided you don't leave your phone on the windshield again!!
Thanks Tom! You'll probably be my #1 conferer on this one
Squilliam is offline  
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 07:17 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Virginia, U.S.
Posts: 16,196
Feedback: 4 / 83%
                     
This does sound interesting.

Maybe this has been addressed before, but what did you do about the lack of MTV and SRV on the 2.7 to be able to use the Special PCM?
peva is offline  
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 07:27 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
fullmoon97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Allentown, Pa
Posts: 8,460
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
gonna be cool. cant wait to see the result.
fullmoon97 is offline  
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 02:05 AM
Grab Your Bitch By The Horns
 
Railoffroader2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lynbrook, NY
Posts: 5,476
Feedback: 4 / 100%
                     
Interesting....... look forward to seeing the results. Good luck Herr Squilliam!
Railoffroader2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome