Unblock the RPM on 2nd Gen - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-01-2005, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Fan
 
argentaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 230
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Unblock the RPM on 2nd Gen

Does someone know how to unblock the RPM (blocked at 3500RPM) on the 2nd Gen Intrepid's ?
argentaz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-01-2005, 07:42 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4,553
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Um...the RPM is not blocked at 3500 RPM, unless you're in Park/Neutral. If you're sitting in park or neutral and wanting to rev the motor up past that, you shouldn't own a vehicle.

If you're talking about "Limp Mode" then that's a different story. Pull your codes if that's the case.
slowbra is offline  
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-01-2005, 10:19 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: here
Posts: 2,627
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
i think he is talking about reviing the motor in p or n lol thats a safdety reason if it goes past that u could and might just break the motor mounts
Mr.Dodge is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 10:27 AM
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 1,992
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
"bUt hOndAs caN dO thAt!!"...
alarkyokie is offline  
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 10:54 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 136
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by alarkyokie
"bUt hOndAs caN dO thAt!!"...
lol
Scrilla is offline  
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 10:55 AM
Intrepid Pro
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4,553
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvdodgeonstock
i think he is talking about reviing the motor in p or n lol thats a safdety reason if it goes past that u could and might just break the motor mounts
Yes, it is a safety feature, but not for the reason you mentioned. High revving a motor with no load on it is very bad for internals...and just plain stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alarkyokie
"bUt hOndAs caN dO thAt!!"...
LOL! True...but who cares about destroying a Honduh?!
slowbra is offline  
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 12:26 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Virginia, U.S.
Posts: 16,178
Feedback: 4 / 83%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2Deep
...High revving a motor with no load on it is very bad for internals...
When people say that, are they meaning that the motor could overspeed (say go to 7000+ rpm and self-destruct), or are they saying that a motor rev'ing to, say, 6000 rpm with a load on it and briefly staying there will not damage it whereas rev'ing to 6000 rpm and briefly staying there with no load on it will damage it?
peva is offline  
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 04:05 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,536
Feedback: 3 / 100%
                     
Yup.

There is a lot of difference in the way the engine internals behave under loaded vs. no load at any RPM.

Used to be that valves would 'float', I don't know if that's the concern here.
'98-ESer is offline  
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 07:30 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Virginia, U.S.
Posts: 16,178
Feedback: 4 / 83%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by '98-ESer
Yup.

There is a lot of difference in the way the engine internals behave under loaded vs. no load at any RPM.

Used to be that valves would 'float', I don't know if that's the concern here.
That's why I asked. I disagree that at any given rpm the loading makes a big difference. For example - lets say your traveling on the highway at 5800 rpm. You're saying that as long as it's under load, the engine will be OK, but if you take it out of gear or let up on the gas pedal, the engine might come apart? Please explain. Don't tell me it's because you've removed the downward pressure on the piston so the conn. rod will come apart because if that's so, then what about during the exhaust stroke (no downward pressure then, and also that would mean that if you're at a high rpm but under load (to protect the engine) that if a cylinder misses firing just one time, it comes apart?

Also: Valve float is purely a speed (rpm) phenomenon. It's not like at a given rpm, as long as you have load on the engine, the valves won't float, but at that same rpm with no load, the valves won't float.

Not trying to be argumentative, but we need to discuss this because it doesn't add up.


'98 LXi - Later Concorde gages (black w/ chrome rings)/'99 LX - LHS gages (white) - HIR bulbs
peva is offline  
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 08:01 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: here
Posts: 2,627
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
well who cares about a honda our lug nuts take more torque then that (stock) motor
o and you can do that because its a stick shift
Mr.Dodge is offline  
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 09:28 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 2,397
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Honda's can not rev to high RPM's in park, or drive for that matter.

My friend owns a 2004 Civic and it cannot rev above 2500 rpms standing still with the brakes applied in drive, and around 3-4k in park/neutral.
Justin is offline  
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 10:24 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 235
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin
My friend owns a 2004 Civic and it cannot rev above 2500 rpms standing still with the brakes applied in drive,

Wont that burn the trans? Its like taking a 5 spd and releasing the clutch till it pulls but not stalls. Its gona burn. tell your friend not to do that. Unless he dosnet care and is going to put a third pedal in it.
redmuzick is offline  
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 11:15 PM
Mopar or No Car
 
D76G12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: KCMo . . . . . . The City of Fountains
Posts: 7,870
Feedback: 1 / 100%
                     
Power braking isn't so bad as long as it's not a habit. Once or twice a week at the track is OK. ;)

As for revving in neutral - I can't tell you why it's bad but I've always heard it is. If it's a tall tale then it's a REALLY old one. But it may be as simple as there being a lack of proper cooling to sustain that for very long. After all, if you're at 4k+ RPM's even in 1st the car is moving at over 30 MPH ...
D76G12 is offline  
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 01:25 AM
Intrepid Pro
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: here
Posts: 2,627
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin
Honda's can not rev to high RPM's in park, or drive for that matter.

My friend owns a 2004 Civic and it cannot rev above 2500 rpms standing still with the brakes applied in drive, and around 3-4k in park/neutral.
park neutral



lol thats a auto i was talking abot a 5 spd
Mr.Dodge is offline  
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 05:29 AM
Intrepid Pro
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Virginia, U.S.
Posts: 16,178
Feedback: 4 / 83%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by D76G12
...As for revving in neutral - I can't tell you why it's bad but I've always heard it is. If it's a tall tale then it's a REALLY old one...
It's proablay a matter of a concern for over-rev'ing the engine because it has no load (to keep the revs down to a reasonable level). People take that genuine concern - they hear that rev'ing an engine in neutral can cause damage - and misunderstand the reason. They think its because an engine turning a certain rpm, say 6000, without load is more damaging than that same rpm with load. What they are failing to understand is that without load, it's going to a much higher rpm unless limited - that's what I was trying to get across. IOW - It's not the fact that it's not loaded at a given otherwise safe rpm - It's that not having a load will let the rpm go way too high and destroy the engine.

If I was a manufacturer, I might be concerned that, without a park/neutral rpm limiter, a disgruntled customer could try to get even by holding the gas pedal down to hold it at some high but non-catastrophic rpm for several minutes to destroy the engine to create a new-engine warranty claim with no way to really prove that it was an intentionally induced failure. Also, if the gas pedal were floored and there was no limiter, the rpms could go to some catastrophic level - 7000 - 8000 - 9000 rpm with instant destruction (though probably provable).

Probably the manufacturers over the years started seeing either intentional or accidental over-reving in neutral and severe damage, and so are protecting themselves by putting a very safe limit in.


'98 LXi - Later Concorde gages (black w/ chrome rings)/'99 LX - LHS gages (white) - HIR bulbs
peva is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2nd gen gear shifter in a 1st gen? double0000000seven General Discussion (First Generation) 11 04-29-2005 12:21 AM
GoodBye 1st gen --- HEEELLLLLLOOOOO 2nd Gen ESMIKE96 General Discussion 14 04-12-2005 01:12 PM
Mirror control switches for sale - 1st gen and 2nd gen rpgoodkin Buy / Sell / Trade 0 04-07-2005 03:54 PM
1st gen to 2nd gen tranny Wire question again. qwk69buick General Discussion (First Generation) 3 03-27-2005 03:33 PM
2nd gen CD player install in First Gen. Paul's 96 Trep Car Audio and Video 1 02-08-2003 09:13 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome