Front Bumper Mod Project - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Macomb
Posts: 21
Feedback: 1 / 100%
 
Front Bumper Mod Project

Hello,

I have tried to find a custom bumper in my price range, because I'm not a fan of the intrepids bumper. I am also not a fan of the ES bumper, I want something along the lines of the Andy Autosport Combat body kit bumper. I talked to Andys auto sport and they are out of stock for the foreseeable future.

So my plan is that the normal SE bumper is close enough to the combat bumper for me to modify it. I am going to cut out the parts highlighted in red. I hoped to borrow the knowledge of this forum for two questions.

1 Has anyone done something similar before? What tools do you recommend? I was going to buy a Jigsaw from amazon and try to cut it.

2 What is the durability of the SE bumper? would it need any extra support once the middle is cut away?


Thanks in advance for the help everyone!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130912_095738 - Copy.jpg (91.0 KB, 48 views)
lordsever is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 12:30 AM
Intrepid Modder
 
'87IROCZOWNER69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 496
Feedback: 1 / 100%
           
Only problem I would with cutting all that out is the fact that there will be a lot of the crash support showing through. However it could be hidden if you made up some sort of fancy grille for it.

But yeah a jigsaw should work just fine for you. Just make sure that after you cut the edges out that you sort of mold the plastic back to where it is smooth. You could either sand it (which would probably gum the sandpaper up) or maybe even try warming the bumper up with a torch or heat gun if you have one (If you do the torch method be very careful because the plastic will act like candle wax and start to melt away pretty fast if you are not careful, also doesn't feel too good if it drips on your skin).

I would imagine it would be fine, if anything you would need to make the bottom lip more rigid as it would probably just flap around in the wind. You could try making brackets that go from the inside of the bottom lip of the bumper to the radiator support. Also could try just filling the bottom lip with that insulation spray foam (worked great as far as support is concerned on a fiberglass bumper however in your case the plastic may not be rigid enough to support the weight and could just sag really bad).
'87IROCZOWNER69 is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 04:11 AM
Intrepid Modder
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 738
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Get some NAPA two part bumper repair: this will allow you to bond multiple parts, fill cracks, and ultimately sculpt details, this is a better alternative to fiber glass and bondo, since the application is on a polyurethane bumper. 220 and 320 grit sand paper will aid in the body work.
SRT6INTREPID is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 06:33 AM
Intrepid Pro
 
CaptainMorgan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Westerville, Ohio
Posts: 6,239
Feedback: 1 / 100%
                     
It has been done before, exactly as you state. I'd have to dig for a picture, but it looked really good.

I'd personally use a dremel tool or something else with a rotary cutting wheel.
CaptainMorgan is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Macomb
Posts: 21
Feedback: 1 / 100%
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by '87IROCZOWNER69 View Post
Only problem I would with cutting all that out is the fact that there will be a lot of the crash support showing through. However it could be hidden if you made up some sort of fancy grille for it.

But yeah a jigsaw should work just fine for you. Just make sure that after you cut the edges out that you sort of mold the plastic back to where it is smooth. You could either sand it (which would probably gum the sandpaper up) or maybe even try warming the bumper up with a torch or heat gun if you have one (If you do the torch method be very careful because the plastic will act like candle wax and start to melt away pretty fast if you are not careful, also doesn't feel too good if it drips on your skin).

I would imagine it would be fine, if anything you would need to make the bottom lip more rigid as it would probably just flap around in the wind. You could try making brackets that go from the inside of the bottom lip of the bumper to the radiator support. Also could try just filling the bottom lip with that insulation spray foam (worked great as far as support is concerned on a fiberglass bumper however in your case the plastic may not be rigid enough to support the weight and could just sag really bad).
I will put a mesh grille behind the bumper when I'm through.
What is the benefits of a dremel vs. Jigsaw?

Thanks for the replies everyone! does anyone else have anymore advice for me?
lordsever is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 08:07 AM
Intrepid Modder
 
ncfrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: VT ,, USA
Posts: 744
Feedback: 1 / 100%
 
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsever View Post
Hello,

I have tried to find a custom bumper in my price range, because I'm not a fan of the intrepids bumper. I am also not a fan of the ES bumper, I want something along the lines of the Andy Autosport Combat body kit bumper. I talked to Andys auto sport and they are out of stock for the foreseeable future.

So my plan is that the normal SE bumper is close enough to the combat bumper for me to modify it. I am going to cut out the parts highlighted in red. I hoped to borrow the knowledge of this forum for two questions.

1 Has anyone done something similar before? What tools do you recommend? I was going to buy a Jigsaw from amazon and try to cut it.

2 What is the durability of the SE bumper? would it need any extra support once the middle is cut away?


Thanks in advance for the help everyone!

Just Black out the center vs. cutting it apart. Sorry I don't have a better pic.
And ditch the front plate bracket.

ncfrc is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 06:04 PM
Intrepid Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: northwest Arkansas
Posts: 23
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
More, more, more

NCFRC, any chance of getting a better pic of the blacked-out bumper. That sounds like a really interesting, and very do-able, approach.

I am VERY interested in following this project.
iatBen is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 07:03 PM
Intrepid Modder
 
ncfrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: VT ,, USA
Posts: 744
Feedback: 1 / 100%
 
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by iatBen View Post
NCFRC, any chance of getting a better pic of the blacked-out bumper. That sounds like a really interesting, and very do-able, approach.

I am VERY interested in following this project.

I'll try and get one as my son will be home from college with the car this weekend.
ncfrc is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 07:35 PM
Intrepid Modder
 
ncfrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: VT ,, USA
Posts: 744
Feedback: 1 / 100%
 
Thumbs down


Last edited by ncfrc; 10-15-2013 at 09:13 PM. Reason: --------------------------------------------
ncfrc is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 10:37 PM
Bitches be like...


 
beeblebrox82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Holland, MI
Posts: 16,618
Feedback: 6 / 100%
                     
Garage
that looks hella good.
beeblebrox82 is offline  
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 09:41 AM
Intrepid Pro
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Virginia, U.S.
Posts: 16,054
Feedback: 4 / 83%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeblebrox82 View Post
that looks hella good.
What does that even *mean*!?
peva is offline  
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 10:39 AM
Intrepid Modder
 
ncfrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: VT ,, USA
Posts: 744
Feedback: 1 / 100%
 
Thanks ,, The outside amber LED's also come on with Fog lights.
I think it looks really good at night as the amber marker lights and the
LED's match very good on the outside corners.
ncfrc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome