Fuel Pump - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Pro
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Abilene Texas
Posts: 2,074
Feedback: 2 / 100%
                     
Fuel Pump

Tonight while we were out and about, we noticed this loud whine from inside the car and really loud while were outside the car. It was we assume the fuel pump. Is it normal for a pump to be so freaking loud? Does this mean bad things to come? I stopped in and talked to my mechanic tonight about it and I am looking at close to $450 for parts and labor. They said that the pump is a dealer item only...but I am thinking that NAPA might have one or even the local parts stores, for a little less. To do a diagnostics I am looking at $100 or better. Any insight? TIA
silver&gold is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Pro
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Abilene Texas
Posts: 2,074
Feedback: 2 / 100%
                     
Nobody has ANY insight?????????
silver&gold is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 05:43 PM
Mopar or No Car
 
D76G12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: KCMo . . . . . . The City of Fountains
Posts: 7,870
Feedback: 1 / 100%
                     
I looked at the O'Reilly site and they show a Delphi fuel pump for a 2001 2.7L listed as "special order" - no price shown.

I know from reading the threads that you have to drop the tank to get to it ...
D76G12 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Pro
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Abilene Texas
Posts: 2,074
Feedback: 2 / 100%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by D76G12
I looked at the O'Reilly site and they show a Delphi fuel pump for a 2001 2.7L listed as "special order" - no price shown.

I know from reading the threads that you have to drop the tank to get to it ...
Thanks. But I am really wanting to know if the loud sound is a normal thing? I really do not want to have to replace a pump anytime soon.
silver&gold is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 07:11 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 3,503
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Some pumps can be normally loud. I doubt it is normal on these cars though unless it's not an OEM fuel pump.

It looks like fuel pumps cost about $225.
Warlord187 is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Pro
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Abilene Texas
Posts: 2,074
Feedback: 2 / 100%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord187
Some pumps can be normally loud. I doubt it is normal on these cars though unless it's not an OEM fuel pump.

It looks like fuel pumps cost about $225.
I was wondering if the pump would be loud due to the following....cold weather, or thed gas we were getting. I dowt (pardon me I have been drinking lil bit) those arwe the reasons, Should I be concerned>>>????
silver&gold is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 10:10 PM
Intrepid Modder
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 383
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
If it is an in tank pump it should not be too loud. Usually they are audible, but not loud. You gotta realize that bastard is in your gas tank, filled up with gas. If you can still hear it through the tank, and potentially submerged in gas then that thing is really fricken loud.

I would imaging you can just pop the carpet out of your trunk and do it yourself if you are handy. I changed a few in my day and it really is simple. Never changed one on a trep, but basically just roll the carpet back see if there is an access panel drop the panel if there is one (might wanna vacuum good around the area so you don't get crud in the tank. Take out a few bolts and lift and a couple of funny looking sensorts and a fuel pump should come out. BTW once you finish the job you can take a battery charger and some flexible fuel line and make a really sweet flame thrower with todays high PSI fuel pumps.

Don't try it at home or anything, but I am just saying if you happen to use the pump to shoot some oil and gas on a burning pile of paper the visuals will be nice.
mrlullabye is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 11:12 PM
Mopar or No Car
 
D76G12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: KCMo . . . . . . The City of Fountains
Posts: 7,870
Feedback: 1 / 100%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlullabye
If it is an in tank pump it should not be too loud. Usually they are audible, but not loud. You gotta realize that bastard is in your gas tank, filled up with gas. If you can still hear it through the tank, and potentially submerged in gas then that thing is really fricken loud.

I would imaging you can just pop the carpet out of your trunk and do it yourself if you are handy. I changed a few in my day and it really is simple. Never changed one on a trep, but basically just roll the carpet back see if there is an access panel drop the panel if there is one (might wanna vacuum good around the area so you don't get crud in the tank. Take out a few bolts and lift and a couple of funny looking sensorts and a fuel pump should come out. BTW once you finish the job you can take a battery charger and some flexible fuel line and make a really sweet flame thrower with todays high PSI fuel pumps.

Don't try it at home or anything, but I am just saying if you happen to use the pump to shoot some oil and gas on a burning pile of paper the visuals will be nice.
No access panel on the 2G LH's - you've gotta' drop the tank. 1G's have 'em - 2G's don't ...
D76G12 is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2005, 11:53 AM
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 166
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
I changed the fuel pump on my 1989 Taurus SHO, 1.5 years ago, just before getting my 2004 SXT. I did it without dropping the fuel tank by making a trap under the rear seat because I had clear instructions on where to cut and because I was afraid dropping the fuel pump might be more than I was willing to do with rust seized bolts etc. I ended up buying a Walbro fuel pump with a bit higher capacity than the stock model and costed around 90$.

I started cutting the floor with a dremel until I was sure I was clearing the fuel lines and finished the cut with a grinder. The trap door size was about 8" square allowing enough clearing space to remove the old pump. If you end up doing it that way pay attention not to bend the float arm that serves to indicate the fuel level in the tank. Also notice how you end up removing it as you will need to put it back in the same way. I say this because you might wonder how to get it back in in such a small hole without bending anything. I could find the web reference if you wish me to although it was for the Taurus SHO.

If you choose to get it replaced through the trap door method and wonder where you should make your cut, you should look underneath at your tank and find a reference point. Find a removed gaz tank where you can see the top opening, where the fuel pump goes and calculate the hole location. You could now transpose its location from a reference point such as left rear door sill location and work from there. The trap method is much easier than having to empty the fuel tank, jacking the rear of the car, removing the tank's holding straps etc.
Gilbert is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
***seafoam*** silver&gold General Discussion 165 05-19-2008 12:50 PM
So your 2.7 is ready for some 100K repairs..... primetime General Discussion (Second Generation) 8 01-11-2007 12:45 PM
Fuel pump or fuel filter? Need some help! primetime General Discussion 20 10-06-2005 11:37 PM
Fuel Pump How-TO (kinda long) silver ghost Performance / Modifications (First Generation) 2 08-05-2002 09:03 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome