Hey guys i've got a cool how to for all those special mirror owners. So picked up a set of special mirrors recently and got them wired up. Needless to say i love them, but they don't stand out much, and 99% of people wouldn't look twice at them. I love how they look lit up, but of course thats only when turning and obviously i can't leave my hazars on all day. So i modified my mirrors so they light up solid when the parking lights come on and flash when my signals are on. I set them up so that they only come on to half brightness for the parking lights and full brightness for the signals. heres the how to
First off, parts you will need
2 standard 5 pin automotive relays w/5 wire sockets
2 400 ohm resistors.
3 3 amp one way diodes
1. Assuming your mirrors are already installed, first thing you'll need to do is locate the wires you used for the left and right turn signals along with the parking lights positive wire. Since i was in the process of wiring my mirrors for the first time, i found all three wires in the drivers kick panel, in the harness behind the hood release lever. In my car the parking light wire was black/yellow and the signal wires were light green and tan, But test these wires before making connections.
2. step two is to wire up your relays, resistors and diodes. first thing to do is to wire up the relays. take the center pin(87a) of each relay and splice in a 400 ohm resistor to each relay, add a little wire to the ends of the resitors and then join the wires from each relay together, followed by adding a diode with the end with the stripe connected to the wire. add some more wire, this wire will later be connected to your parking light wire. Next, ground the left pin(85 i believe) of each relay. then splice the top and the right pins(87 and 86) together on each relay, then add a diode to each relay in the same orientation as the last diode. add some wire to these diodes also, as these will be hooked up to your left and right turn signals. Lastly, hook up some wire to the bottom pin(30) on each relay, these wires will get connected to the left and right mirrors. See the makeshift diagram below for more info
3. wire in your relays as the diagram above describes. The resistor value i used in step two gave me the light output i wanted, if you want the mirrors to be brighter or dimmer as parking lights, you can experiment with different resistors. the diodes placed inline are there to prevent the parking light and turn signal circuits from interfering with each other, because that would be bad.
4. test your newly wired mirrors. First activate your parking lights, the mirrors should light up constant at a dim but visible brightness. Now try the left and right signals, they should both flash at full brightness.
5. last step is to hide your relays, i was able to hide mine behind the dead pedal. another little tip i would reccomend is to add some kind of sound dampening material aroudn the relays as these will make a noticeable clicking noise when ur turn signals are on.
Thats it your done.
I've had mine wired up like this for about two weeks and so far so good.
Unfortunately i didn't get any pics during the install, but here are the nite shots of the two brightness levels.