Yesterday after work I swapped the BCM out of my car. I also pulled the passenger headlight out to restore it.
With my car I used a 3M headlight restoration kit and then protected it with 3M Scotchguard. Well I don't have any Scotchguard handy, so I decided to try a slightly different method, on that uses clear coat to protect the lens.
I used this guide as a base:
Had a 3M wheel restoration kit I got super cheap on clearance. That gave me the drill attachment, 400 grit, and 800 grit (which I substituted for the 600 grit) sanding dics. I wet sanded them, and with the drill it was fast and easy. i didn't have a 2k grit disc so I used regular 2k grit sandpaper and wet sanded by hand.
Then the thunderstorms hit.
I was eager to get it clear coated since they take 24 hours to cure, so I cleared with 3 light coats. However, by the third coat the lens had become so cloudy it was opaque. I thought I had messed something up and would have to start all over again! I did a bit of research and realized that the humidity and lack of sunlight was the likely cause.
I saw a video of someone using a heat gun to make the clear coat clear, but I don't have heat gun. What do have, is an oven. I set the oven as low as it would go, 170 degrees, and put the headlight in to bake for 45 minutes. I checked a couple times to see how it was going.
This was about 20 minutes in.
This was right before I went to bed.
I shut the oven off and left it in there overnight. In the morning this is how it turned out.
I'm going to wait 24 hours for it to cure as per the instruction on the can, then wet sand with a 3k grit disc, buff with compound, then wax. Whenever it stops raining I'll tackle the other side.
When they're both done it'll take years off the appearance of this car.