I have a 5th generation 30gb ipod and it stopped charging. Whenever I hook it up to a charger or the computer it just says that the battery is critically low and it needs to recharge but it never does. So I figured that since it was communicating with the computer and recognizing that I was attempting to charge it I just needed a battery. I got one on ebay along with the cord for my car stereo. The ipod will work in my car but as soon as I hook it up to the computer I get the same message and when I try and charge it with my wall charger it says it is charging but it isn't. It also feels like the ipod is getting way too hot whenever I leave it connected. Does anyone have any idea what could be going on. I am considering finding one with a broken LCD on craigslist and just using the LCD out of this one.
You know what I was just thinking that since all of my USB ports are full that the ipod might not be getting enough power so I am charging it with my old wall charger for now too see if it works. So far it has been on for a little while and it seems like it actually charged it a little but I guess I have too wait and see. I found this online and it confirms the possibility of my suspicion.
Fiction: How come when I use USB to recharge my iPod or iPhone, I have battery problems? My battery must be defective.
Fact: For best results, try not to use computer ports to charge your iPod or iPhone. USB is especially sensitive to how many devices are on it and what the resulting bus voltage is. It may even display the charging icon but not be adding much to the battery. USB versions prior to 2.0 will not charge your iPod or iPhone (and probably be too slow for its other functions). Even USB 2.0 is limited to 700 milliamps and the iPod "likes" to see one full amp for charging, plus some to spin the HD (in applicable models) while mounted. The iPhone only requires 500 milliamps (half an amp), however. Some (early) iPod models will not charge from USB, period. Some PCs use 4-pin Firewire cables (all Macs are 6-pin) which carry no charging voltage, so they won't work at all for recharging and can allow your early iPod to run down and cause serious problems while updating firmware, restoring, or loading songs. Both USB and Firewire require the iPod to be mounted by your computer as an external drive, which means the iPod's HD is spinning, using some of the juice that the battery might like to have. And if the computer sleeps or is turned off, the battery won't charge either device and in some cases will actually drain through the port circuits. If you experience problems, either take everything else off the USB bus (except mouse & keyboard) and/or get an AC adapter or use a car charger. Also note that earlier Firewire chargers can be safely used to charge new USB-only iPods. You'll need a special cable, however (about $10). Warning: Some have reported problems such as overheating or worse doing this with iPhones, so check with the charger manufacturer first. Bottom line: if your ports are not doing a good job of charging your battery, use the wall adapter to charge for several cycles before questioning the battery's credentials.
personally, I hate the things, have one under my center console somewher,plugged into the USB in back of my stereo...I never have to see or deal with it. When it goes, it's back to memory sticks for me
It's charging now but it won't connect to my computer so I have to try and use another cord or something but im going to let it charge a little while before I do that. The first one I had was great it was the old style where all of the buttons were like the scroll wheel where they weren't actually buttons. It was only 15gb but that thing put up with all my abuse and never crashed on me. I also hate that the new ones can't use firewire USB 2.0 just isn't as fast especially since I have a bunch of USB stuff hooked up to my computer right now.
It's a bad logicboard. Mine is doing the same exact thing. Mine got dropped into a bucket of sourkarut at work. Best bet is to buy a new logicboard from ipodparts.com They only run about 110 to 115, hell of a lot cheaper then 250 for a new one.
Thanks I figured you would chime in at some time. How can you be sure that it is the logic board? I'm not exactly sure what the logic board does but it was playing music fine just not syncing. I reformatted and it will sync for a little while but not long enough for it to finish. Also could the excessive amount of heat have anything to do with the logic board? I think I am going to try and find one with a broken LCD on craigslist and just use that because my girlfriends Ipod needs a new headphone jack.
So I found a guy on craigslist with a broken Ipod and he claims that he is sure it is the hard drive. He wants $55 for it but I am a little low on funds right now since I just bought everything to put a sub in my car. This was the e-mail he sent me when I asked if he was sure that it was the hard drive:
"yes iam but its not really broken it just frezes when you press the center of the clicker wheel. it would be better idf you just call me."
He also has a car charger a skin and a usb cable all included. Does this sound like it is really the hard drive all I need is the logic board or maybe I will just swap my HD into this one. Let me know what you guys think.
Theres two problems the iPod might be facing, It's ether the logicboard or hard drive. Buy the one you found and use it to test the hard drive, if it works then you'll know it's the logicboard and you might be able to use the logicboard from the one you bought.
Well I got my ipod to update and I already know that it will work on my headunit. Since the Ipod was getting hot what I did was put it on a tray of ice and let it finish updating and it worked! So the question is why is it getting so hot and why does it work when I want to listen to it or charge it on a wall charger but not when it is connected to the computer.
Might have a faulty dock cable
Have you tried different USB ports or a different computer to see if it still over heats?
Might be a faulty power supply in the computer and is pushing more then 5 volts though the USB.
Maybe the iPod doesn't like multi tasking as in charging and syncing at the same time. When ever you put the iPod onto the PC it's going to charge the battery. This is a drawback from Apple's design. Overcharging a battery or charging a battery that isn't fully discharged will decrease the battery life. Maybe a component on the iPod logicboard went out that goes to the power supply so when the battery has voltage and you add the extra 5volts from the USB it's giving it too much power and causing components to work harder and makes to heat up more IE: over heat for what the iPod was rated to do.
I don't know the wire pinout to the wall outlet charger so I can't confirm why the wall charger works fine and the PC makes it overheat.