Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
My Apple / iPod Touch rant!
Well, I was FORCED to get an Apple iPod device since I wanted 2 way communication with my MP3 player, and I can't get that with any other device :(. What's that you say? There are other MP3 players with dock connectors? Yes, both the Creative Zen Visions and the Microsoft Zunes have a dock connector which should allow for 2 way communication...........however there are NO accessories available to actually make use of it on either device :(
So I decided to go with an iPod Touch (same basic thing as an iPhone minus the phone part). I DO like it........it was overpriced though (as ALL Apple products are).
I mentioned the 2 way communication before since I use it the most (allows me to plug it into the glovebox in my car and control with the RB1/iPod kit, as well as allowing me to use a bluetooth adapter so I can use my bluetooth headphones to both listen to it and control it), web browsing the 2nd most, and regular MP3 listening the least (ugh, I can't stand the way most people use this thing with the included crappy earbuds)
Some things about Apple that just piss me off though:
1) Price drops a few months after release (Screw the early adopters! Good idea Apple! That won't piss off your loyal fans!)
2) Only including bare bones software, they could've included a LOT of the useful iPhone software.........but nooooooooo, that would've taken away from iPhone sales.
3) Releasing a "Version 2" device which is identical hardware wise, but now has the iPhone software included and then CHARGING people who have the "Version 1" to 'upgrade' instead of just giving them the extra few pieces of software such as Weather for free!
4) Locking down devices so people can't do what they want with them! Oh no, we can't allow people to do what they want.........that would make for bad business practice. Let's force feed them our iTunes BS!
5) Incompatibility with Windows Vista 64 bit! WTH? It worked with the 64 bit Mac OS since release.........but didn't work with Vista 64 for quite a while "iTunes is not compatible with your version of Windows, please download the 64 bit version", WHAT 64 BIT VERSION? THERE IS NONE!!!...........luckily the situation has been rectified now with the latest release of iTunes (after angry emails to Apple).
6) Where the hell is the bluetooth? iPhone gets a shitty version of it (Mono A2DP......on a music player? WTH was Apple thinking?) iPod Touch gets no bluetooth at all however...WHY?
Luckily the iPhone/iPod Touch a huge following, and the hackers are hard at work releasing hacks to allow the phone and iPod to do what they should've done from the factory. I upgraded my software version for free. I won't give Apple $1 of my money over the cost of the hardware, which includes avoiding getting a cell phone where some of your monthly fees go straight into Apple's pockets!!!
2002 Chrysler Intrepid R/T (modded), 2015 Nissan Leaf S
March 2008 Car of the Month! 2007 Carlisle "Class" trophy! 2006 IM Best of Show!
Last edited by Avenger; 04-19-2008 at 08:46 AM.