The BE-300 is a piece of crap, IMHO. I had to return it twice, first a BE-300, then I got a Clie T415(it was kinda expensive for a black&white PDA), so I went back to a BE-300 and decide to give it another try(after discovering some wonderful sites - www.be300.net
but I still couldn't take it), Palm 500(I really needed color) and now finally Palm M130(for $400 CND). The M130 perfectly sync(ed) all the datat from my older Palm IIIxe.
1) mp3 playing through the audio jack
2) color LCD for $299 CND
3) uses the cheaper Compact flash2 cards
4) you can download a freeware console(nintendo?!) emulator and play roms will full color/sound
5) play divx movie with BE-Divx
6) a linux based OS(in making, by the BE fans) will be out in 6 months or so...
7) you can run a patched PocketDos on it, which allows you to run old 486/386 dos programs on it....it worked fine with my Borland C++ 3.1
1)It has a *really* bad GUI interface, it's WIN CE3.0,
2)Virtually no software(it will NOT run any PPC software)
3)bad sync software(if it is to fail, your PC MUST do a reboot b4 it will ever sync again)
4)whenever you install software, it must be in it's own installer's exe installer format(rather than Palm's PRC, which you double click and it's in)
5) the LCD gets "white" after uses, kinda like lost of contrast/color
6) the LCD needs time to "wakeup" around 10sec to get to full brightness, unlike a palm
7) you can only sync with Outlook(not outlook express), which needs to be purchased separately
8) the software(rom) is so stupidly designed that...you can't even set the default column to sort with inside your contacts list...it automatically defaults to "Company"... what about your personal contacts ?! (a solution does exists, you will need to transfer the contacts executable onto a PC and hex edit one of the bits, then overrides the one on the BE....DUUHHHhh!! )
The BE-300 is just horrible IMO... Neither get a Palm or a Clie, can't beat the Palm OS.
and BTW, the BE-300 runs Windows CE3.0...so DON'T expect any of the PPC(pocket pc) software will run on it.... ANDDD...there's the 4mb hardware memory limit, Pocket Quake/Doom will never be ported.
edit: forgot to answer your question, you can get BE-word(free) from somwewhere I recall. It only allows you to read DOC files not any editing. But how would you be able to sync it back ?! You can't, coz the "PumaSync" that it comes with only syncs with Outlook, nothing elses.