Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Catonsville, Md.
McMurray's going to Roush racing
Sorry to see him go.
McMurray's contract complicates his move to Roush
By DAVID POOLE
The Charlotte Observer
A big domino in NASCAR's Nextel Cup future driver-team alignment lineup officially fell on Thursday, as Roush Racing announced Jamie McMurray will drive the No. 6 Fords beginning with the 2007 season.
McMurray has another one-year option left on his contract with Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates, where he drives the No. 42 Dodges.
In a statement issued Thursday morning, team owner Chip Ganassi said the team will part ways with McMurray after the 2006 season. Roush Racing later issued a statement saying it has signed McMurray to a multiyear contract beginning with 2007.
"Jamie's made a decision to go in another direction after we've both fulfilled the commitment that we made to each other in 2002," Ganassi said in his team's statement. "We didn't do a good job of conveying to Jamie where this team is headed, but we expect a lot of success with Jamie the rest of this year and next year, and we wish him the best in his future endeavors beyond that."
McMurray is seventh in the current Nextel Cup standings after a second-place finish in the Pepsi 400 at Daytona International Speedway last week. He scored his only career Nextel Cup victory with the team in October 2002 at Lowe's Motor Speedway while driving the No. 40 Dodge in place of an inured Sterling Marlin.
The Observer and thatsracin.com reported Thursday that McMurray was the leading candidate to take over in the No. 6 at Roush Racing. Mark Martin, the long-time driver of that car, is leaving full-time Cup competition after this season.
Roush Racing president Geoff Smith said no decision has been made about who will drive the No. 6 car next year. Ricky Craven, who is currently driving in the NASCAR Truck Series for Roush, is believed to be one candidate.
"We're working on that and hope to have that settled shortly," Smith said.