Chrysler, Getrag resume construction on Indiana transmission plant - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Pro
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Catonsville, Md.
Posts: 3,652
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Chrysler, Getrag resume construction on Indiana transmission plant

From Automotive News:

Chrysler, Getrag resume construction on Indiana transmission plant
Bradford Wernle
Automotive News
February 26, 2008 - 4:33 pm ET
UPDATED: 2/26/08 4:49 PM EST


DETROIT -- Construction has resumed on a $530 million Indiana transmission factory after a dispute between Chrysler LLC and its partner, German transmission supplier Getrag AG, halted the project Dec. 21.

Workers resumed work on the Tipton, Ind., plant Monday, Feb. 25, said David Elshoff, a Chrysler spokesman. He declined to discuss the nature of the dispute.

The project, which will employ about 1,400, is still on schedule to open in 2009 and will make dual-clutch automatic transmissions for Chrysler vehicles.

The transmissions will be mated with Chrysler's new Phoenix V-6 engines, due to arrive in 2009.

Chrysler executives say dual-clutch transmissions will help improve fuel economy by about 6 percent because they're more efficient than conventional automatics. One clutch operates the odd gears -- one three and five -- while the other operates gears two, four and six. The gearbox can be operated as a conventional automatic or like a manual one using the gear selector.

A manual transmission loses power when the driver depresses the clutch pedal, and an automatic loses power in its torque converter.

Getrag owns the dual-clutch technology. Chrysler wants to be among the first to bring the technology to North America. Volkswagen and Audi have led the way in Europe.

Getrag will have management control and will cover 57 percent of the cost of the plant. Chrysler will cover the remaining 43 percent and will sign the workers' paychecks.
moparman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome