Should I put ATF+4 in my 1995 Dodge Caravan? - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Fan
 
Eng. Yamen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Montréal,QC
Posts: 210
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Should I put ATF+4 in my 1995 Dodge Caravan?

Should I put ATF+4 in my 1995 Dodge Caravan's transmission? Is that gonna improve its performance? There is ATF3 in it right now.

Thanks.
Eng. Yamen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 01:00 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 499
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
ATF+4 is a full synthetic. I don't know about any peformance gains - but it may help your trans last a little longer.

Also - +4 is compatable with any previous +ATF oil...
redwingvksm is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 01:17 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Arlington Texas
Posts: 2,823
Feedback: 1 / 100%
                     
In old transmissions, ATF+4 might cause some seal issues. It's been fine in all the old Intrepids because they have the newer 4 speed but if you have the 3 speed auto, I'd stick to ATF+3 due to a potential seal incompatibility.

Note that some of those old vans erroneously state on the dipstick or even the manual that Dexron could be used.....this is incorrect. DO NOT use Dexron....it causes shudder and chattering noises, which shortens the life of the transmission. Dexron also degrades much faster than ATF+3. (and compared to ATF+4, it's totally obsolete!)

2004 300M Special...257K miles. Original powertrain!
hardwareguy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Fan
 
Eng. Yamen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Montréal,QC
Posts: 210
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Ok now I'm confused :S .

Should I put ATF+4 in it or not? What made me think about putting ATF+4 is that the transmission is having some slippings recently, and I though that this might fix it.
Eng. Yamen is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 07:55 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Arlington Texas
Posts: 2,823
Feedback: 1 / 100%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart1991 View Post
Ok now I'm confused :S .

Should I put ATF+4 in it or not? What made me think about putting ATF+4 is that the transmission is having some slippings recently, and I though that this might fix it.
It depends on what transmission you have. 3 speed can be identified by a gear indicator that has positions PRND2L and 4 speed (A604/41TE) will be PRND3L.

If you have the 3 speed, stick with ATF+3 in your next change. ATF+4 will work and will mix just fine BUT it might not play nice with some of the really old seal materials in a few of the old 3 speeds. You probably wont have an issue, but under certain driving conditions ATF+4 is harder on the old seals.

If you have the 4 speed, feed it ATF+4. The Ultradrive family of transmissions should have had it from the beginning....

Don't forget to change the filter regardless of what unit you have.

2004 300M Special...257K miles. Original powertrain!
hardwareguy is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Intrepid Fan
 
Eng. Yamen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Montréal,QC
Posts: 210
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwareguy View Post
It depends on what transmission you have. 3 speed can be identified by a gear indicator that has positions PRND2L and 4 speed (A604/41TE) will be PRND3L.

If you have the 3 speed, stick with ATF+3 in your next change. ATF+4 will work and will mix just fine BUT it might not play nice with some of the really old seal materials in a few of the old 3 speeds. You probably wont have an issue, but under certain driving conditions ATF+4 is harder on the old seals.

If you have the 4 speed, feed it ATF+4. The Ultradrive family of transmissions should have had it from the beginning....

Don't forget to change the filter regardless of what unit you have.
mine has PRND3L .. that means i should use ATF+4 .
Can I just drop the pan, change filter and put in ATF+4? Or it must be flushed. How can I flush it anyway? Can you please explain the flushing mechanism?

Thanks!
Eng. Yamen is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 12:03 PM
Intrepid Modder
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 321
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
I have been changing my 1995 Voyager over to +4 with pans drops every 25,000 miles. Its had two changes with +4 so its probably a majority of +4 by now. No problems what so ever. 182,500 miles.
rshaw125 is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 09:48 AM
Intrepid Pro
 
Torontofirecaptain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Whitby, Ontario
Posts: 3,934
Feedback: 71 / 100%
                     
I put it in my 93 with the OD 4 speed (& 300,000 miles), and had shifting problems with the lock-up converter. It became very speed sensitive to locking up, and caused a bad vibration when trying to do so.
Removed it, problem solved, back to Dexron, as prescribed.
I'd say, best route is to stick to recommended fluid.
Torontofirecaptain is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Fan
 
Eng. Yamen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Montréal,QC
Posts: 210
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Ok. We removed ATF3 and put ATF+4 (mopar).
The trans got better, no more slipping shifts so far -thank God-.

Thank you everyone for your help.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontofirecaptain View Post
I put it in my 93 with the OD 4 speed (& 300,000 miles), and had shifting problems with the lock-up converter. It became very speed sensitive to locking up, and caused a bad vibration when trying to do so.
Removed it, problem solved, back to Dexron, as prescribed.
I'd say, best route is to stick to recommended fluid.
After surfing in this forum I noticed that trannys issues depend on luck (lol). REALLY !! Or maybe some trannys love ATF+4 and some don't (lol).
Eng. Yamen is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 04:36 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,544
Feedback: 3 / 100%
                     
Its called: Tolerances!!!
luisa is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome