New possible headlights and tails on the Pontiac...opinions plz! - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Intrepid Modder
 
[ChaosweaveR]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Coram, NY
Posts: 519
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
New possible headlights and tails on the Pontiac...opinions plz!

I value your opinions here, figured I'd drop this in:

Tax return has come in! Sooo...been looking for some subtle changes for the Pontiac, mainly the headlights and tails.

Currently, I have the popular black housing clear corner headlights, and REAL tinted (no spray tint garbage) stock GT tails.

Reference:

front:


rear:


Now, the headlights, nothing crazy...but I've been pondering on whether to keep the clear corners, or go amber:


The tails...I've been procrastinating on these LED tails for too long, and I'm very close to buying them. Normally, they look like this:


But will be tinted (same process like my stock tails) like this:


I love the Euro-esque look it gives the car.

Thoughts? Advice? Opinions? Lay it on!
[ChaosweaveR] is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 12:59 PM
Bitches be like...


 
beeblebrox82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Holland, MI
Posts: 16,618
Feedback: 6 / 100%
                     
Garage
I'd stick with the clear corners up front... I like what you are thinking on the rears.
beeblebrox82 is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Modder
 
[ChaosweaveR]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Coram, NY
Posts: 519
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeblebrox82 View Post
I'd stick with the clear corners up front... I like what you are thinking on the rears.
Yeah, especially if I get these tails, amber corners won't really match with 'em. lol
[ChaosweaveR] is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 01:50 PM
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!

 
cdmccul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Garrison, ND
Posts: 15,449
Feedback: 18 / 100%
                     
So, what's the difference between a 'spray tint' and what you plan on doing to the LED tails?
cdmccul is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Modder
 
[ChaosweaveR]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Coram, NY
Posts: 519
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmccul View Post
So, what's the difference between a 'spray tint' and what you plan on doing to the LED tails?
PPG gloss black and clearcoat. The gloss black is mixed in with the clearcoat (8:1 ratio, IIRC) to make it more translucent. The result is an unmatched gloss and shine, and NO fading like you'll get with VHT Niteshades.

You just treat them like paint, claybar, wax and compounding.
[ChaosweaveR] is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 04:31 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
scarce911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Van Wert, Ohio
Posts: 1,009
Feedback: 8 / 90%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ChaosweaveR] View Post
PPG gloss black and clearcoat. The gloss black is mixed in with the clearcoat (8:1 ratio, IIRC) to make it more translucent. The result is an unmatched gloss and shine, and NO fading like you'll get with VHT Niteshades.

You just treat them like paint, claybar, wax and compounding.
Niteshades only fades if you dont clear coat it... at least in my personal experiences..that is the case (first time is NEVER good enough or in some cases..the correct way)
scarce911 is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Modder
 
[ChaosweaveR]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Coram, NY
Posts: 519
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarce911 View Post
Niteshades only fades if you dont clear coat it... at least in my personal experiences..that is the case (first time is NEVER good enough or in some cases..the correct way)
I went through three sets of tails with niteshade, even cleared...they still faded after a year.

IMO, mixing gloss black and clear is the way to go. WAYYYYYYYYY more durable, and easier to clean and maintain.
[ChaosweaveR] is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 05:02 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
scarce911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Van Wert, Ohio
Posts: 1,009
Feedback: 8 / 90%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ChaosweaveR] View Post
I went through three sets of tails with niteshade, even cleared...they still faded after a year.

IMO, mixing gloss black and clear is the way to go. WAYYYYYYYYY more durable, and easier to clean and maintain.
Some paint specialists done like the idea of clear coat on plastic with heat from the bulbs..they say it'll crack fairly quickly.. Personally I plan on doing a light coat of metallic black and clear on my headlights (after testing of course)... I normally dont keep mods for too long..I change often.. I havent changed much lately but hopefully that's soon to change this spring/summer
scarce911 is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Intrepid Modder
 
[ChaosweaveR]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Coram, NY
Posts: 519
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarce911 View Post
Some paint specialists done like the idea of clear coat on plastic with heat from the bulbs..they say it'll crack fairly quickly.. Personally I plan on doing a light coat of metallic black and clear on my headlights (after testing of course)... I normally dont keep mods for too long..I change often.. I havent changed much lately but hopefully that's soon to change this spring/summer
My current tails have been painted for 13 months now, no signs of warpage, cracks or defects in either the paint or lens.

Niteshade just cannot compare to the quality and shine of actual gloss paint.
[ChaosweaveR] is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 10:25 AM
Intrepid Pro
 
Duds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 22,212
Feedback: 12 / 100%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ChaosweaveR] View Post
I went through three sets of tails with niteshade, even cleared...they still faded after a year.

IMO, mixing gloss black and clear is the way to go. WAYYYYYYYYY more durable, and easier to clean and maintain.
Never seen that problem with Duplicolor clear. Plasicoat clear yes.
Duds is offline  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 07:20 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
scarce911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Van Wert, Ohio
Posts: 1,009
Feedback: 8 / 90%
                     
I was referring to painted headlight housings when I was talking about the heat/cracking.. I realize that I didnt specify..

<-- uses Duplicolor Maybe that's why after I clear they stay good.. but on the other hand.. I change my paint schemes around pretty often
scarce911 is offline  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Modder
 
[ChaosweaveR]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Coram, NY
Posts: 519
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duds View Post
Never seen that problem with Duplicolor clear. Plasicoat clear yes.
Dunno then. I used Duplicolor clear with Niteshades, still faded to a reddish color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarce911 View Post
I was referring to painted headlight housings when I was talking about the heat/cracking.. I realize that I didnt specify..

<-- uses Duplicolor Maybe that's why after I clear they stay good.. but on the other hand.. I change my paint schemes around pretty often
Ahh, I see. My black housings were pre-made. I like how it's flat black inside, keeps glare down greatly from my HIDs.
[ChaosweaveR] is offline  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Modder
 
[ChaosweaveR]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Coram, NY
Posts: 519
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Also:

LED tails ordered, as is a smoked LED 3rd light. New front black arrowhead overlay, and I'm keeping the clear corners.

New 6000K HIDs will be bought down the road.
[ChaosweaveR] is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome