Hot or Not? : Chrysler Firepower - Page 3 - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 05:21 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hugo . Minnesota
Posts: 3,207
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by alderran
I like it but the name is stupid.
A little hist. The Firepower name is from the mid 50's 1 gen Hemi's. The 331's, too the 392's had the name Firepower on their valve covers. A better name than the Corvette's. Which is taken from WW2 warships. Which where British smallest ocean going ASW (sub hunters) ships.
SPOOK R/T is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 06:16 PM
Intrepid Modder
 
Hecubus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Posts: 689
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnaker
You're just numb from the fact that Chrysler, this time, really doesn't have a Vette killer anymore. It won't have the history, fanbase, or presence as the Corvette ever will.

Just like the ol' Viper.
Numb? Fuck no. I don't really care, I'm not a hardcore Mopar guy (I'm only minorly biased). Besides, the Firepower is no more of a Corvette copycat than it is an Aston Martin copycat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnaker
Anyways... back to my original point. These new sportscars coming out from Chrysler (like the Crossfire or concept of the 'Firepower') in my opinion, really won't (and aren't, in the case of the Crossfire) sell well because the buyer has nothing to relate it to in history or any roots to advertise it by (except for the fact it's performance orientated). It has to have a name that people will recognize and follow up on. Unless they slap an old name onto this new car, it ain't gonna be anything but a Corvette copycat.
Nice logic there, no history = no sales. Give the buying public a little more credit than that. Granted, it's a factor, but a very small one. The Crossfire's problem is that it uses an almost ten-year old platform, and because it's considered a hairdresser's car (I should imagine that the preformance model being automatic only doesn't help much).
Hecubus is offline  
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 06:56 PM
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 995
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
I like it, Noticed it had a lot of styling que's from other cars, body lines look Viper, front deck Crossfire, and the read deck Intrepid. anyone else notice this??
BCintrepid is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 08:20 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 646
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Stock04, I was just saying, even hardcore Mopar fans give it the respect it deserves. Plus, Spook, the "better name" thing is entirely, ENTIRELY opinionated. Corvette sounds way cooler than something that was written on the side of an engine during the middle of the 50's. See? Opinionated. Still... "firepower"... lol

Last edited by Spinnaker; 09-22-2005 at 08:24 PM.
Spinnaker is offline  
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 08:37 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
EngineerJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 1,785
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnaker
Stock04, I was just saying, even hardcore Mopar fans give it the respect it deserves. Plus, Spook, the "better name" thing is entirely, ENTIRELY opinionated. Corvette sounds way cooler than something that was written on the side of an engine during the middle of the 50's. See? Opinionated. Still... "firepower"... lol
I'll have to admit that "Firepower" does sound like something a power ranger would yell when shooting out his glatinous blob while attacking somebody.

As far as mopar guys giving corvette respect, as a mopar guy, I'll have to agree that the corvette does deserve respect. It's a great car for the money (regardless of the model you get) and instead of simply setting the bar, it raises it (something the rest of GM has lost along the way). But with that said, you can't assume that anything that's not a vette is a "corvette copycat"

BTW, just because the current Z06 model can beat the viper, doesn't mean a tuned ACR model viper (maybe next year's model) won't be able to beat the vette. It's an ongoing battle and It's one I'm proud to watch!

Formerly Stock04Intrepid
EngineerJoe is offline  
post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 09:57 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 646
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
I know it's going to be interesting to see it, but I'm still proud of the fact that the Corvette has to keep raising the bar for the competitors.
Spinnaker is offline  
post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 04:16 AM
Intrepid Pro
 
dakotaquadsport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,994
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnaker
Yeah you never understood what I said. You just agreed with me on my history point (ie- it has WAY more of a history than the Viper or this new concept). Put a Vette next to a Viper? Ok, let's put new Corvette against a Viper. Sure, the Viper may attract more. But do you know why? Everyone has seen a Corvette and they're relatively popular. It doesn't mean the Viper is a better car. It's just rarer to see.

Man, I know one of the most hardcore Mopar enthusiasts in the world. He has a 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner, numbers matching with the original Hemi in it. He has a Plymouth Prowler, he has a brand new Dodge Ram Daytona (which he is supercharging in the next month or so). Anyways, even he has more respect for the Corvette than the Viper. In fact, I would put MONEY on it that if you put a new Corvette Z06 next to a brand new Dodge Viper SRT-10, the Corvette would get more attention.

Remember, Chevrolet didn't bring out the Corvette in the 50's to fight the Viper. Ohhh yeah... that's right, it was the other way around, except only over a decade ago.

Anyways... back to my original point. These new sportscars coming out from Chrysler (like the Crossfire or concept of the 'Firepower') in my opinion, really won't (and aren't, in the case of the Crossfire) sell well because the buyer has nothing to relate it to in history or any roots to advertise it by (except for the fact it's performance orientated). It has to have a name that people will recognize and follow up on. Unless they slap an old name onto this new car, it ain't gonna be anything but a Corvette copycat.

So what your saying is something has to have "roots" for it to sell well? So your telling me that Grand Caravan buyers buy it because of it's "roots" of being the first FWD mini-van on the road? So how the hell is the HHR going to sell then, there isn't any roots to it's name.

So how can you put words into someones mouth about having more respect for a car? You can't that's why. Your using some example of a person that as anyone knows on here doesn't even exist, and saying because he's a Mopar nut, that he's got more respect for Corvette. Nice try on that one.

If you want to call this a copycat then fine. But see this:

GM Minivans- Copied from Chrysler
HHR- PT Copy

You won't admit that the HHR is a PT Copy but the Firepower concept is a Corvette knockoff. Of course your forgetting that the Firepower is also a GT car, I wonder what the ME-Four-Twelve was, was that a Corvette knockoff too?


2006 Dakota SLT. 4.7L 4x2 3.92 LSD
04 Neon SXT <--Go Kart
08 Avenger SXT 2.7 MyGig, Sunroof, 18"s
Past: 93 Intrepid ES 3.5, Water Blue
99 Neon Highline
dakotaquadsport is offline  
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 03:18 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 646
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
This is why people need to read more and bitch less.
Spinnaker is offline  
post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 07:43 PM
RJ
Intrepid Pro
 
RJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 2,359
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnaker
In fact, I would put MONEY on it that if you put a new Corvette Z06 next to a brand new Dodge Viper SRT-10, the Corvette would get more attention.
Someone is about to go on welfare soon.
RJ is offline  
post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 08:15 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 646
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Hahaha, yeah right buddy.
Spinnaker is offline  
post #41 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 08:41 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
IS300M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: RT 128 + RT 95
Posts: 4,083
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnaker
I would put MONEY on it that if you put a new Corvette Z06 next to a brand new Dodge Viper SRT-10, the Corvette would get more attention.
So you dont believe in your own Bet (as per your statement earlier).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnaker
Sure, the Viper may attract more. But do you know why? Everyone has seen a Corvette and they're relatively popular (kinda like an expensive Honda Civic). It doesn't mean the Viper is a better car. It's just rarer to see
(because not every average joe is willing to give up their childs college fund to buy a car, like some vette drivers do)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnaker
Unless they slap an old name onto this new car, it ain't gonna be anything but a Corvette copycat.
So you say applying a name with historical connections to a new car will make it not a corvette copycat?

Cause if they dredged up an old name and slapped it on a new car I would call that a corvette copycat. Not if they used a brand new name on a brand new car with no historical connections.
IS300M is offline  
post #42 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 08:48 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Catonsville, Md.
Posts: 3,652
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
The Firepower is a model from the old DeSoto brand with the Hemi.
moparman is offline  
post #43 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 11:24 PM
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 995
Feedback: 0 / 0%
                     
Viper parked beside a Vette..hmmm will the Viper would attract my attention to the fact that is not a car you see everyday, but as for the car itself the Vette gets my vote for bang for buck.
BCintrepid is offline  
post #44 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 08:15 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Arlington Texas
Posts: 2,823
Feedback: 1 / 100%
                     
Smile Oh yeah baby!

Hell yes I want this thing produced!

This could really be the Corvette fighter Chrysler needs!
hardwareguy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chrysler Adds Even More Horsepower To Hemi® With New Chrysler 300c Srt8 IronMike2014 Chrysler 300C 12 04-26-2005 04:21 PM
Chrysler Firepower: Winner of best concept car and sexiest concept car awards moparman General Discussion, other Mopar Vehicles 10 01-26-2005 01:17 AM
Mopar performance at SEMA & Startech 300 dakotaquadsport General Discussion, other Mopar Vehicles 3 11-03-2004 08:49 PM
2005 Chrysler 300 Press Release today IntrepidDude Chrysler 300C 30 02-18-2004 12:26 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome