1999 300m to 2000 lhs 3.5 L HO engine swap - DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Intrepid Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 4
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
1999 300m to 2000 lhs 3.5 L HO engine swap

I'm trying to find out if there is a difference between a 1999 and a 2000 Chrysler LHS 3.5 engine. I swap the engine from a 2000 Chrysler LHS with an engine from a 1999 Chrysler 300M. When i tried starting the engine from the 1999 Chrysler 300M it wouldn't start. Took it to a shop and they put it on a machine and it said something about the cam position tone wheel error. Are the flexplate and the tone wheel the same on those two vehicles or are they different? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Prewalt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 12:39 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Virginia, U.S.
Posts: 16,059
Feedback: 4 / 83%
                     
'99 and '00 should be the same. SBEC system (cam and crank tone wheels) was used until 2002, then used NGC system. Do you know the history of both engines, i.e., has either engine been previously swapped from an NGS vehicle or been converted to the NGS system? Sounds like that has to be the problem.
peva is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 4
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
Guy from the junkyard said that it came out of 1999 300m, original engine. No mods and it ran before they took it out. The mechanic from the shop said that it was firing on 2 cylinders. He checked marks and the timing was dead on. He unplugged the cam sensor and it ran at about 5000 RPM. He checked all the grounds and found them all good. When he exhausted all of his ideas he sent the car down the road to a shop that had the diagnostic computer that said it was a cam sensor tone wheel. I looked at the tone wheel for damage and found none. I am in the process of pulling the engine again to swap flexplate and cam tone wheel. I live in Michigan and doing the job in my driveway, no garage. Any other help would be appreciated.
Prewalt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 09:21 PM
Intrepid Pro
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Virginia, U.S.
Posts: 16,059
Feedback: 4 / 83%
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prewalt View Post
Guy from the junkyard said that it came out of 1999 300m, original engine. No mods and it ran before they took it out. The mechanic from the shop said that it was firing on 2 cylinders. He checked marks and the timing was dead on. He unplugged the cam sensor and it ran at about 5000 RPM. He checked all the grounds and found them all good. When he exhausted all of his ideas he sent the car down the road to a shop that had the diagnostic computer that said it was a cam sensor tone wheel. I looked at the tone wheel for damage and found none. I am in the process of pulling the engine again to swap flexplate and cam tone wheel. I live in Michigan and doing the job in my driveway, no garage. Any other help would be appreciated.
My understanding is that our engines run off the crank sensors up to 2500 rpm, and above that, ign. timing runs off of cam sensor. Our engines are not supposed to be able to run above 2500 rpm with cam sensor disconnected. Things are not adding up. I donít have an explanation.
peva is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 4
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
I'm at a loss too. Both mechanics refused to work further on my car, not sure why but I had it towed home and am going to proceed with changing out the flexplate and the cam tone wheel. I'll let you know if it works. May take a bit though, working around weather and cold temps. Thank you for your input. It's much appreciated.
Prewalt is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 09:39 PM
I hit shit with sticks!


 
Daytrepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Zebulon, NC
Posts: 37,008
Feedback: 21 / 100%
                     
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prewalt View Post
I'm trying to find out if there is a difference between a 1999 and a 2000 Chrysler LHS 3.5 engine. I swap the engine from a 2000 Chrysler LHS with an engine from a 1999 Chrysler 300M. When i tried starting the engine from the 1999 Chrysler 300M it wouldn't start. Took it to a shop and they put it on a machine and it said something about the cam position tone wheel error. Are the flexplate and the tone wheel the same on those two vehicles or are they different? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peva View Post
My understanding is that our engines run off the crank sensors up to 2500 rpm, and above that, ign. timing runs off of cam sensor. Our engines are not supposed to be able to run above 2500 rpm with cam sensor disconnected. Things are not adding up. I donít have an explanation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peva View Post
'99 and '00 should be the same. SBEC system (cam and crank tone wheels) was used until 2002, then used NGC system. Do you know the history of both engines, i.e., has either engine been previously swapped from an NGS vehicle or been converted to the NGS system? Sounds like that has to be the problem.
PEVA is absolutely correct here. IF in fact your new engine is a 2000, there would be no issue with tone rings, sprockets, or timing differences. This was all the same until 2002. Plug and play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prewalt View Post
Guy from the junkyard said that it came out of 1999 300m, original engine. No mods and it ran before they took it out. The mechanic from the shop said that it was firing on 2 cylinders. He checked marks and the timing was dead on. He unplugged the cam sensor and it ran at about 5000 RPM. He checked all the grounds and found them all good. When he exhausted all of his ideas he sent the car down the road to a shop that had the diagnostic computer that said it was a cam sensor tone wheel. I looked at the tone wheel for damage and found none. I am in the process of pulling the engine again to swap flexplate and cam tone wheel. I live in Michigan and doing the job in my driveway, no garage. Any other help would be appreciated.
Either the year the engine is out of is incorrect; or there is some other more serious problem, or installation error (big vacuum leak, crushed a wire) causing these problems. Do you know if the mechanic had to swap any parts over from your old engine to the new one; IE wiring harness, plenum, etc?
Daytrepper is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 09:45 PM
I hit shit with sticks!


 
Daytrepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Zebulon, NC
Posts: 37,008
Feedback: 21 / 100%
                     
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prewalt View Post
I'm at a loss too. Both mechanics refused to work further on my car, not sure why but I had it towed home and am going to proceed with changing out the flexplate and the cam tone wheel. I'll let you know if it works. May take a bit though, working around weather and cold temps. Thank you for your input. It's much appreciated.
If you can, take a picture of the flex plate and cam tone wheels that were used. We can tell you instantly if they are correct for your year car.
Daytrepper is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Intrepid Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 4
Feedback: 0 / 0%
 
Will do when I get them out. I have the flexplate and the cam tone wheel from the original engine that I'm going to install once I get them out. I replace the wiring harness and plenum when I got the car back home. Never had such a problem with an engine swap before.
Prewalt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome