DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

99 Trep For 97 Explorer

386 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  timdawg 
#1 ·
As some of you know, "that read my forums" i have been having problems with my car. Before christmas it broke down again. Well after christmas i started working at my Father-In-Laws car lot even though i dislike him. I am laid-off and it is money. Well the place that was fixing my car called and said it was done and since i was only down the street they would deliver it to me. Well Once i got it i started it up and the engine started shaking vigoursly and then it stalled. I was like WTF since i had just got the car back. Then the lady who delivered the car called me and said she is on her way to pick it back up because it stalled on her on the way over and the guys that fixed it wants to take another look at it.....Well anywayz to get to the point. I am thinking about trading my intrepid for a 1997 Ford Explorer 4x4. Its got keyless entry, power everything, cruise, tilt steering, the works!! But it has 139K on it, but it is a realiable car unlike my intrepid. Do you think i should trade???

#2 ·
Don't jump to conclusions, maybe the Mechanic(s) will identify a simple fix and set you on your way.

I've been a fan of the Ford Explorer for years now ...leased a 96 and now own a 98. Neither have given us much grief.

Snoop around at my 2nd favorite auto forum: http://www.explorer4x4.com/

BTW - Our Explorer is equipped with the 5.0L Mustang engine and the AWD system ...it gets 1/2 the gas mileage my Concorde does.

#3 ·
davescanoe said:
Our Explorer is equipped with the 5.0L Mustang engine and the AWD system ...it gets 1/2 the gas mileage my Concorde does.
My wife has a 2000 5.0 AWD Explorer and averages about 17-19 MPG

I have gotten it into the 20MPG range on long trips with the whole family inside and the rooftop carrier full on the roof

#4 ·
Depends what your priorities are. Figure you will get another 30,000 miles out of that Explorer before the engine starts having problems (160,000 seems to be a good round number these days). Gas mileage will be much less, performance will certainly be much less. I also don't think Explorers are safe, I think they have a tendency to flip, we lost a friend (and mother of a 3 year old) to an Explorer that went tumbling down the interstate after having the rear end clipped.

#5 ·
ladelberg said:
I also don't think Explorers are safe, I think they have a tendency to flip, we lost a friend (and mother of a 3 year old) to an Explorer that went tumbling down the interstate after having the rear end clipped.
that isn't a problem with Explorers, that's a problem common with all SUV's, people seem to forget that they don't handle like a car

the only SUV's that were tested and shown to have a higher roll-over factor were the BroncoII and later model Isuzu Troopers

#6 ·
If you get rid of your 'trep, make sure your father-in-law doesn't sell it to someone else.

You have to wonder what is wrong with that car. It's probably something small and stupid that nobody thought of.

I'd say to get the Ford only because this 'trep doesn't exactly sound safe for your or your family.

#7 ·
Our family has never owned an Explorer, but my uncle owns an Expedition, '01.. He loves it to death, he's never had any problems at all....

#8 ·
Where did he get the Explorer from? Have you had it checked? Keep in mind that a truck and car are totally different. I know you want something reliable to get from point a to point b, just make sure you are happy with what you are getting. 4x4's tend to be expensive to fix if something goes wrong with it (even more expensive then your Intrepid). And don't forget you're trading down from a 2000 to a 1997, see if you can get some money back on the difference, if you do trade.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.